Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2013, 11:33 PM

845 posts, read 1,349,842 times

Advertisements

On the ride into work, a radio station asked the question about first dates and gifts. Both ladies and gents, chime in here.

'An email to the radio station stated that this person seen a woman walking down the street with a bouquet of flowers and a bag. The flowers were unspecified but the bag had a brand new Bible in it. The lady told the writer she got these gifts on a first date; however, she was a little weirded out by it.'

I sometimes think something small would be OK. Nothing like a bouquet of flowers or a new Bible, but maybe one long stem rose. I would have to do some research first, of course.

I wanted throw this out there, too, to get a sense of how the scenario seems to other people...One listener called in suggesting gifts are sometimes good, depending on the situation and the delivery, in this case anyways. On the first date, the man brought a bouquet of flowers with him. While his date was pretty surprised for the flowers but they weren't for her, they were for her mother.

So, guys, is bringing a gift something you occasionally do or maybe have seen someone else bring a gift a first date?

Ladies, would you be OK with a gift or would it actually weird/creep you out?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2013, 11:34 PM

470 posts, read 1,163,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mitopcat View Post
On the ride into work, a radio station asked the question about first dates and gifts. Both ladies and gents, chime in here.

'An email to the radio station stated that this person seen a woman walking down the street with a bouquet of flowers and a bag. The flowers were unspecified but the bag had a brand new Bible in it. The lady told the writer she got these gifts on a first date; however, she was a little weirded out by it.'

I sometimes think something small would be OK. Nothing like a bouquet of flowers or a new Bible, but maybe one long stem rose. I would have to do some research first, of course.

I wanted throw this out there, too, to get a sense of how the scenario seems to other people...One listener called in suggesting gifts are sometimes good, depending on the situation and the delivery, in this case anyways. On the first date, the man brought a bouquet of flowers with him. While his date was pretty surprised for the flowers but they weren't for her, they were for her mother.

So, guys, is bringing a gift something you occasionally do or maybe have seen someone else bring a gift a first date?

Ladies, would you be OK with a gift or would it actually weird/creep you out?
I bring condoms.

Old 07-16-2013, 11:39 PM

1,523 posts, read 1,954,874 times
I bring nunchucks on a first date.

Old 07-16-2013, 11:41 PM

10,029 posts, read 10,897,557 times
Depends on the situation. I went out with a friend of mine from high school (I was 25 then so this was a long time friend)who brought along a friend of his. The friend then asked if we could go out and I said yes. On our first date he brought me a red rose and all during our dating he bought me gifts. We are still friends actually and broke up due to non bendable issues (basically religious reasons). For a first meeting from a dating site I suppose a flower would be nice but nothing too expensive because what if we didn't like each other? I wouldn't expect anything though unless we started dating and then would expect nice gifts on Christmas, my birthday and Valentines Day like my ex did.

Sadly, I dated a bunch of losers who never bought me anything. I deserved better than these men.

Old 07-16-2013, 11:42 PM

9,659 posts, read 10,231,741 times
I guess the coffee, ice cream, hot dog, etc. could be considered a gift...

Old 07-16-2013, 11:43 PM

6,732 posts, read 9,999,377 times
When I was doing OLD, I had TWO guys who brought me homegrown honey. Neither one raised the bees themselves -- they got the honey from friends who were beekeepers.

Yes, I live in the Pacific Northwest. Land of self-reliance and slightly weird people.

Old 07-16-2013, 11:43 PM

10,029 posts, read 10,897,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHurricaneKid View Post
I guess the coffee, ice cream, hot dog, etc. could be considered a gift...
I suppose, though I would consider that courtesy. If a man didn't pay for those I would probably not date him again.

Old 07-16-2013, 11:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idon'tdateyou View Post
I suppose, though I would consider that courtesy. If a man didn't pay for those I would probably not date him again.
Which is why I don't take out women on expensive date unless I am in an exclusive relationship.

Old 07-16-2013, 11:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NilaJones View Post
When I was doing OLD, I had TWO guys who brought me homegrown honey. Neither one raised the bees themselves -- they got the honey from friends who were beekeepers.

Yes, I live in the Pacific Northwest. Land of self-reliance and slightly weird people.
OMG, homegrown honey.

I love honey and maple syrup, both go great with tea.

Do women there do the same thing?

I ought to haul my arse to the Pacific Northwest.

Old 07-16-2013, 11:48 PM

18,531 posts, read 18,765,230 times
Any gifts on a first date is crawling...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships