Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2013, 12:43 PM

1,003 posts, read 1,612,024 times

Advertisements

I'm not fond of alcohol, the taste, the unnecessary calories, no nutritional value, it's effects and the fact I'm an extreme lightweight. However, I'm not a prude. I will occasionally have red wine or a beer. On a first date I choose a club soda with a lime. (Nothing immature like a Shirly Temple, ect.) This seems to make many men (not all) uncomfortable and I can see the shift in their comfort level after I order. I explain the above to them concerning my stance on alcohol but don't care if they order something. I can only assume these men are very nervous, they are looking to get their dates drunk and/or are alcoholics themselves.

Are there any other assumptions men make about a first date, not drinking alcohol?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2013, 12:52 PM

24,665 posts, read 69,710,891 times
Who knows but I'm sure there will be plenty of responses. I see no reason why you should even offer an excuse or an explanation for not drinking alcohol on a date.

Old 07-28-2013, 01:00 PM

396 posts, read 1,852,223 times
Next first date: don't agree to meet at a place that serves alcohol. Suggest a coffee house, juice bar, etc.

Old 07-28-2013, 01:16 PM

896 posts, read 1,177,378 times
Next time get there early and order your club soda, your date will assume it is vodka or gin. Sit at the bar so you can order a refill if needed without saying what it is.

Old 07-28-2013, 01:21 PM

102 posts, read 245,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraciousVox View Post
Next time get there early and order your club soda, your date will assume it is vodka or gin. Sit at the bar so you can order a refill if needed without saying what it is.
And then when the fella comes in and says "I'll have what she's having" it's just all fun and games from there. Heh.

Old 07-28-2013, 01:23 PM

3,009 posts, read 3,642,888 times
I normal have a drink b4 the date so i can be relaxed and a girl will never know. Showing up drunk to a date is not a good idea IMO. If a girl told me she was not into drinking i would not drink in front of her but will have a drink b4 hand.

Old 07-28-2013, 01:24 PM

102,211 posts, read 107,904,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragazza2011 View Post
I'm not fond of alcohol, the taste, the unnecessary calories, no nutritional value, it's effects and the fact I'm an extreme lightweight. However, I'm not a prude. I will occasionally have red wine or a beer. On a first date I choose a club soda with a lime. (Nothing immature like a Shirly Temple, ect.) This seems to make many men (not all) uncomfortable and I can see the shift in their comfort level after I order. I explain the above to them concerning my stance on alcohol but don't care if they order something. I can only assume these men are very nervous, they are looking to get their dates drunk and/or are alcoholics themselves.
What this tells you is these aren't the guys for you. The ones for you won't even notice what you order. They'll be more into getting to know you. So don't let this faze you.

Old 07-28-2013, 01:28 PM

10,930 posts, read 11,727,236 times
It'a not unusual for healthy-minded people and recovering alcoholics not to drink. Just say, it's not regular part my diet. If they give you trouble, just walk away , René.

I'm sure you won't have any problems, though.

Old 07-28-2013, 02:15 PM

19,969 posts, read 30,227,645 times
no problems,,

men wont think any less...

Old 07-28-2013, 02:17 PM

355 posts, read 389,092 times
most men probably wouldn't have any kind of problem assuming you aren't the wrong kind of "doesn't drink"

personally, I may not even notice, if I did I'd probably comment but not really care

you not drinking would slightly disappoint me because the potential for the evening is much lower if you're not drinking

I'd probably still order whatever I want though

the wrong kind of doesn't drink is the kind that gets all preachy and judgemental about it and they talk about drinkers from their high horse of moral superiority
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships