Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2013, 02:54 PM

2,279 posts, read 4,745,007 times

Advertisements

You don't need to spill your guts or write poetry... but I ignore "Hi how are you" messages. I want to see something in an initial message that shows me you read my profile and are interested in me as a human being, not just that I'm female and you're looking for a potential booty call.

It doesn't have to be much -- make a reference to a book or a movie I listed as a favorite. Say something about one of my hobbies. If you can toss in a question that will help start a conversation, all the better.

Stuff like:

"I loved <book title>, it changed my life when I was in high school. I even wrote my senior thesis on it! Have you read <another book title>?"

"Skydiving, eh? I've never been but have always wanted to. Where would you recommend I go?"

"Loved the pic of you at the Eiffel Tower, what a great shot. Did you go to any museums while you were in Paris?"

"Oh, good, another Harry Potter fan! Which book was your favorite, and why? I think mine is Deathly Hallows, I really loved seeing Neville come into his own."

"I've never eaten Ethiopian food before, what's it like? What's your favorite thing to order?"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2013, 03:21 PM
FBJ FBJ started this thread

39,605 posts, read 59,025,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jillabean View Post
You know, it's an interesting point. I never thought of saying "hi" in online dating as similar to saying "hi" in public when you meet someone. I thought of more like a job where you see a job you are interested in and send a cover letter saying why you are interested and what you have to offer.

Maybe I've been to formal about things.

That's how it's supposed to be but it's so many stupid people online who don't realize that

Old 08-15-2013, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post
I think the OP already created this identical thread a couple of years ago. It's very old material.

Damm I'm slipping

Old 08-15-2013, 03:24 PM

17,869 posts, read 20,999,231 times
I get a lot of stock one-liners from bots I think.

Or, if I do send a message to a woman, and she gives me a one-word sentence, I just don't reply back.

Old 08-15-2013, 03:26 PM

3,493 posts, read 4,673,116 times
that seems like a totally legit way to start a conversation to me....

Old 08-15-2013, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dub dub II View Post

On craigslist or in public, not a paid dating site

Old 08-15-2013, 03:41 PM

24,665 posts, read 69,710,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestPhillyDude75 View Post
On craigslist or in public, not a paid dating site
Where is that rule written? Do paid dating sites include that in their TOS?

Old 08-15-2013, 04:10 PM

818 posts, read 917,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dub dub II View Post
Me too. I guess we better watch out for those "bots" .

I think some people just throw that out to see if you will respond and get things rolling from there.
due to the fact that it is such an " odds game"

Old 08-15-2013, 04:26 PM

12,535 posts, read 15,204,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raptor76 View Post
Oh it's really easy to achieve that. Stay offline....
Yes. PLEASE.

Old 08-15-2013, 04:37 PM

10,855 posts, read 6,372,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wry_Martini View Post
You don't need to spill your guts or write poetry... but I ignore "Hi how are you" messages. I want to see something in an initial message that shows me you read my profile and are interested in me as a human being, not just that I'm female and you're looking for a potential booty call.

It doesn't have to be much -- make a reference to a book or a movie I listed as a favorite. Say something about one of my hobbies. If you can toss in a question that will help start a conversation, all the better.

Stuff like:

"I loved <book title>, it changed my life when I was in high school. I even wrote my senior thesis on it! Have you read <another book title>?"

"Skydiving, eh? I've never been but have always wanted to. Where would you recommend I go?"

"Loved the pic of you at the Eiffel Tower, what a great shot. Did you go to any museums while you were in Paris?"

"Oh, good, another Harry Potter fan! Which book was your favorite, and why? I think mine is Deathly Hallows, I really loved seeing Neville come into his own."

"I've never eaten Ethiopian food before, what's it like? What's your favorite thing to order?"

How hard is it to pick just one thing from my word-filled profile & say "I like that tv show, too"
-I mean, I'm not even asking for erudite conversation,
just some tiny inkling that the guy thinks we'd have anything in common.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships