Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-27-2013, 02:42 PM

11,864 posts, read 17,004,194 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post

This is a money issue, not a food issue, lol.
Isn't it always?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2013, 02:44 PM

29,746 posts, read 34,396,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wry_Martini View Post
I love food and wine -- I'm a total foodie. Luckily, so is my guy. Our vacations are often food centric, we love exploring and finding new/unusual restaurants. And yes, we enjoy the occasional splurge meal.

Oh, and a yummy meal, especially when coupled with an exquisite dining experience, can be a memory. Many of my favorite memories involve food. When I remember vacations, the memories that come to mind are the fun and special meals... which don't necessarily have to be $80 a plate dinners.
I wouldn't call myself a total foodie, but when people say things like "a meal is a meal" or "food is just fuel" I find it a bit shocking. To me, food is art and sensuality rolled into one. It's comfort and creativity. It's a full sensory experience. I'd be really unhappy dating someone who didn't at least partially get that.

Last edited by fleetiebelle; 08-27-2013 at 02:56 PM..

Old 08-27-2013, 02:46 PM

14,294 posts, read 13,189,540 times
Quote:
I've never had food similar in quality to FF at an actual restaurant. (Again, I don't consider places like Applebees to be a real restaurant, they're fast food with table service.)

I love food and wine -- I'm a total foodie. Luckily, so is my guy. Our vacations are often food centric, we love exploring and finding new/unusual restaurants. And yes, we enjoy the occasional splurge meal.

Oh, and a yummy meal, especially when coupled with an exquisite dining experience, can be a memory. Many of my favorite memories involve food. When I remember vacations, the memories that come to mind are the fun and special meals... which don't necessarily have to be $80 a plate dinners.
My husband and I celebrated an anniversary lately. The seating, the privacy. Not having the kids. Not needing to be anywhere. Being able to talk. Raving over the mouth exploding food! The OP sounds like he might be young. He has referred to chain restaurants as "sit down" about which I would completely agree with him. They AREN'T any better than fast food restaurants. If that is the comparison that he is making, then he is right. When he gets the executive kib and gets taken out somewhere GOOD by his first sales person or client, then he will maybe sing a different tune!

I have aid for some expensive meals in my time, but never $80 a plate. I think the OP means $80 for the whole meal. At which point, again, I agree with him. He needs to pick dates with tastes similar to his own.

But to say that women don't like fast food based on the behavior of his needy date strikes me as a bit nuts. I think any of us can look around a fast food place and say that that is demonstrably bogus.

Old 08-27-2013, 02:47 PM

21,192 posts, read 25,171,795 times
Quote:
I've never had food similar in quality to FF at an actual restaurant. (Again, I don't consider places like Applebees to be a real restaurant, they're fast food with table service.)

Something I realized a long time ago is that pretty much everyone has a vice or hobby or interest where a large chunk of their disposable income goes -- some people smoke, drink, are foodies, enjoy high end audio/visual equipment, hot cars, travel, gambling, etc. And that I should try and not pass value judgements on people who spent their disposable income differently than I spend mine.
I'm with you. I'm a total foodie. I don't care for designer clothes or shoes, cars, electronics, etc. - but I'm a sucker for wonderful food. When we go on trips - I always research food and restaurants. And hubby and I like to splurge on meals every now and then (of course, now that we have a house, a baby, and another on the way - it's more then than now!). It brings us great pleasure! We've had a few meals over $300 - and we don't regret a thing! They were some of the best meals of our lives! If other people don't find pleasure in that - that's totally fine. Everyone enjoys different things!

Old 08-27-2013, 02:47 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,739,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the minx View Post
Isn't it always?
Just waiting for him to admit it....

Old 08-27-2013, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
I wouldn't call myself a total foodie, but when people say things like "a meal is a meal" or "food is just fuel" I find it a bit shocking. To me, food is art and sensuality rolled into one. It's comfort and creativity.

For my money, if food was just fuel, fast food would be the last place you would go for it! As a quality food, it aint great.

Old 08-27-2013, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
I think it's pretty obvious to most that his problem is not that she won't eat more fast food, it's that he doesn't want to pay for eating better meals at good restaurants as often as his girl would like.

This is a money issue, not a food issue, lol.
This is a dub issue not a male/female issue.

Old 08-27-2013, 02:55 PM
bg7

7,694 posts, read 10,561,490 times
Fluorescent lighting, table-occupation time limits, locked bathrooms, clear-up your own table, only soda to drink, immovable plastic benches, sound-reflecting walls and noise - what's not to like? Sounds like the thing every girl is dreaming of when they think "date night"

I'm totally with ya.

Old 08-27-2013, 03:05 PM

3,322 posts, read 7,972,545 times
The term "foodie" its up there with "yolo" on words that need to die.

Old 08-27-2013, 03:10 PM

2,691 posts, read 4,330,685 times
[quote=TheBigGuy;31156981]Yeah ok I wanna see this "study". A lot of times these "studies" will only do tests on less than 500 people. That's not a very comprehensive study. Keep fooling yourself that the Chinese restaurant down the street that sells the super-greasy chow mein is healthier than the sloppy pizza joint down the street with the extra doses of cheese.

I'm glad you love NYC. Give yourself a hug. But some of us don't care to live in a place full of rude people, expensive, overcrowded, tiny apartments, and terrible winters just so we can gush about how the pizza is better than other places. Mmkay?[/]

Now all of a sudden you "bash NYC" because you don't agree with this poster's POV on FF? Yeah ok. And dim sum isn't greasy- it's basically steamed or pan seared dumplings...

The Genetics of Bellies and Burgers | The 23andMe Blog

Also feel free to check out these studies:
Frequent Fast Food Meals Increase Weight, Diabetes Risk, Study Says, December 30, 2004 Press Release - National Institutes of Health (NIH)
Karen Collins Nutrition News You Can Use
http://www.princeton.edu/~jcurrie/pu...s/fastfood.pdf
Want to lose weight? Eliminate fast food

The list of studies about this goes on and on...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships