Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-27-2013, 03:43 PM

809 posts, read 1,273,947 times

Advertisements

"I am laid back, down to earth and low maintenance. My friends tell me I am cool."

Apparently, she cannot go to Burger King or McD, coz it's gross and cheap.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2013, 03:51 PM

19,046 posts, read 25,201,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBigGuy View Post
Like I said before, it's not just about health, it's also about how it's prepared. A chef at a top Manhattan restaurant can be just as unhealthy with your food as a fry cook at McDonald's. Eating food that has been off the floor is gross no matter what restaurant sells it. And yes, salty food from a high class Manhattan restaurant can be just as bad as salty food from fast food joint in the suburbs. You're deluding yourself if you think this isn't true.
I don't know about this. My husband worked in fine dining for more than ten years as a server and mgr. A chef over salting his/her food isn't going to last. People that enjoy good food don't have a fast food palate that is used to so much salt. That you even compare the food served at a typical fine dining restaurant to McD's is so strange to me. You're comparing a dish, for example, with locally picked wild mushrooms, organic veggies, and bison or venison to the slop served at fast food. Or, take a nice Japanese steak house. Edamame and miso soup for appetizers with hibachi mahi mahi or salmon (Oysters on the side) to chicken nuggets and french fries. We could go into price differences and salary differences, but what's the point?

Old 08-27-2013, 04:02 PM

415 posts, read 599,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Braunwyn View Post
I don't know about this. My husband worked in fine dining for more than ten years as a server and mgr. A chef over salting his/her food isn't going to last. People that enjoy good food don't have a fast food palate that is used to so much salt. That you even compare the food served at a typical fine dining restaurant to McD's is so strange to me. You're comparing a dish, for example, with locally picked wild mushrooms, organic veggies, and bison or venison to the slop served at fast food. Or, take a nice Japanese steak house. Edamame and miso soup for appetizers with hibachi mahi mahi or salmon (Oysters on the side) to chicken nuggets and french fries. We could go into price differences and salary differences, but what's the point?
I'm not merely talking about a chef over salting his food. I'm talking about food in general. What I was trying to tell the other person: if you think that greasy plate of shrimp noodles and fried rice from Ming Wang's Buffet is automatically healthier than a burger then you are sorely mistaken.

Old 08-27-2013, 04:06 PM

21,192 posts, read 25,178,273 times
Quote:
Yeah - I don't get it either. I would never compare the low grade "edible" meat on a big mac to a kobe beef steak at a top notch restaurant. But while I prefer the kobe beef, I have no problem with some people preferring the big mac.

Old 08-27-2013, 04:12 PM

Quote:
I'm not merely talking about a chef over salting his food. I'm talking about food in general. What I was trying to tell the other person: if you think that greasy plate of shrimp noodles and fried rice from Ming Wang's Buffet is automatically healthier than a burger then you are sorely mistaken.
Wang's Buffet isn't fine dining. It's slop by the sounds of it. You're comparing fine dining and ff. How about drinks? Maybe that's easier. You can state Budweiser and Chimay have the same calorie count and that they're both beers, but that doesn't make them the same or equally acceptable to all people. As others have said, FF in a pinch is one thing, but as a regular part of the diet? Well, that's a lifestyle some aren't going to be interested in.

Old 08-27-2013, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewdrop93 View Post
Yeah - I don't get it either. I would never compare the low grade "edible" meat on a big mac to a kobe beef steak at a top notch restaurant. But while I prefer the kobe beef, I have no problem with some people preferring the big mac.
I'll say it again: you need to worry about the quality of how the food is prepared. My relative told me about the horrors of working in fancy Manhattan restaurants where workers with runny noses dripped snot into the clam chowder or dropped the veal on the ground, and without bothering to clean it, put in back in the pan without hesitation. There are also no shortage of chefs who cook without washing their hands properly. And many top notch restaurants undercook their Kobe beef before serving it to you.

I'll also say a salad with lots of dressing and meat is still unhealthy even if it's from a top notch restaurant.

Old 08-27-2013, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewdrop93 View Post
Yea, people should eat what they like. I don't even eat mammals so it's all a hypothetical to me, but that has always kept me out of ff restaurants.

Old 08-27-2013, 04:20 PM

21,192 posts, read 25,178,273 times
Quote:
I'll say it again: you need to worry about the quality of how the food is prepared. My relative told me about the horrors of working in fancy Manhattan restaurants where workers with runny noses dripped snot into the clam chowder or dropped the veal on the ground, and without bothering to clean it, put in back in the pan without hesitation. There are also no shortage of chefs who cook without washing their hands properly. And many top notch restaurants undercook their Kobe beef before serving it to you.

I'll also say a salad with lots of dressing and meat is still unhealthy even if it's from a top notch restaurant.
I really don't worry about anything. I eat at restaurants where the food tastes good. That may be a small, mom and pop mexican restaurant or a 5 star sushi fusion restaurant. But it's simply not McD's or Burger King because I don't like the food. I will eat at In 'N Out when I visit my family in Cali because it tastes good to me. But even when I lived there, I didn't eat there more than once every few months or so.

Old 08-27-2013, 04:20 PM

Quote:

The chef at my husband's last restaurant gig was on iron chef. I'm sure he's just snotting all over the place.

Old 08-27-2013, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Wang's Buffet isn't fine dining. It's slop by the sounds of it. You're comparing fine dining and ff. How about drinks? Maybe that's easier. You can state Budweiser and Chimay have the same calorie count and that they're both beers, but that doesn't make them the same or equally acceptable to all people. As others have said, FF in a pinch is one thing, but as a regular part of the diet? Well, that's a lifestyle some aren't going to be interested in.
I'm not sure where this is going and I think it's my fault. This thread is about where to take a woman on her first date. One excuse women used is fine dining is automatically healthier than ff. Of course, ff is unhealthy if you go all the time. But if it's just the one date then it won't kill you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships