Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2013, 06:44 AM

14 posts, read 24,035 times

Advertisements

We all know women have standards (especially high and unrealistic one) when it comes to dating men and they are called shallow or selfish. But, when men decide to have standards, they are considered shallow, mean, and selfish even though they are not high.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2013, 06:47 AM

529 posts, read 702,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbara2013 View Post
We all know women have standards (especially high and unrealistic one) when it comes to dating men and they are called shallow or selfish. But, when men decide to have standards, they are considered shallow, mean, and selfish even though they are not high.
It's because women pretend that their standards are about "deep" things, such as personality, whereas men's standards are about looks. Of course, that's a complete lie because most of what women present to the world is intended to make them look good. That's why, for example, you get conflicting responses about the "is size important?" question. In public, all women will say "no, absolutely not." Then you put them in a room with only women and it's like "hell, yeah, girl! HA HA HA!" Women are generally like that.

Old 10-18-2013, 06:49 AM

4,217 posts, read 7,304,232 times
Quote:
I think its a preconceived notion that women have to have standards to protect themselves (rape, physical abuse etc) and to weed out bad candidates when it comes to reproduction.

If men were the ones giving birth and perpetuating the species, I think we would understand a (hopeful) raise in standards.

This isn't always the case though.

Old 10-18-2013, 06:54 AM

39,230 posts, read 27,623,465 times
Quote:
Can you provide some examples of these "standards" you are talking about?

Old 10-18-2013, 07:00 AM

448 posts, read 764,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
I'd say its more of unrealistically high expectations. I'm my experience at least its not at all rare to see single women (who aren't that attractive) demanding that "their" men have a laundry list of desirable characteristics and then they wonder why they are single or why they only get approached by the PUA guys that hit on anything.

Old 10-18-2013, 07:05 AM

14 posts, read 24,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
Some examples is that the man must make alot of money, have a nice car (BMW, Audi,etc), and must be extraordinary.

Old 10-18-2013, 07:05 AM

42,763 posts, read 52,880,668 times
Because I said so. I'm woman hear me roar!

Old 10-18-2013, 07:06 AM

5,121 posts, read 6,806,407 times
I always wonder if when people start threads and talk about "standards" if they are really, mostly talking about "preferences".

I think it's safe to assume that standards are pretty much the same for both men and women (or should be). Some examples of standards would be things like a partner who has a job or other income, someone who is non-abusive, someone who isn't a junkie, etc. One should never go below their standards because it's often a matter of physiological or physical safety.

Preferences are superficial things that most people say they want, but are actually willing to overlook for the right person. And everyone has preferences of some sort... just like we all have different taste in food, clothes, music, whatever.

Everyone should have standards... if you don't you, you are setting yourself up to be hurt badly.

It's everyone's right to have preferences... and sometimes we need to bend or change our preferences.

I won't date a man who hits me, period. That's a standard. I prefer men who are divorced with kids (because they are like me). That's a preference. I will never date a man who is divorced with kids who is abusive... ever. But if I meet a wonderful man who happens to be divorced without kids, well, that I can change that preference (and have).

Old 10-18-2013, 07:11 AM

39,230 posts, read 27,623,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InternetTroll View Post
I'd say its more of unrealistically high expectations. I'm my experience at least its not at all rare to see single women (who aren't that attractive) demanding that "their" men have a laundry list of desirable characteristics and then they wonder why they are single or why they only get approached by the PUA guys that hit on anything.
Quote:
Some examples is that the man must make alot of money, have a nice car (BMW, Audi,etc), and must be extraordinary.
LOL ouch

Did a quick search on POF.com

These are what single women are looking for, I can't view their entire ads, (don't have an account there myself)

"is there any honest and good men out there"

"Please be worth my time
If you would like to know anything about me or what I do feel free to message me anytime."

"I'm not asking too much...
I love travelling, going to the beach, having nice dinners, going for long walks, spending time with friends, getting to know new people or doing anything that I'm in a mood for. I'm a sweet, "

Sounds pretty reasonable to me.

Old 10-18-2013, 07:11 AM

448 posts, read 764,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jillabean View Post
I always wonder if when people start threads and talk about "standards" if they are really, mostly talking about "preferences".

I think it's safe to assume that standards are pretty much the same for both men and women (or should be). Some examples of standards would be things like a partner who has a job or other income, someone who is non-abusive, someone who isn't a junkie, etc. One should never go below their standards because it's often a matter of physiological or physical safety.

Preferences are superficial things that most people say they want, but are actually willing to overlook for the right person. And everyone has preferences of some sort... just like we all have different taste in food, clothes, music, whatever.

Everyone should have standards... if you don't you, you are setting yourself up to be hurt badly.

It's everyone's right to have preferences... and sometimes we need to bend or change our preferences.

I won't date a man who hits me, period. That's a standard. I prefer men who are divorced with kids (because they are like me). That's a preference. I will never date a man who is divorced with kids who is abusive... ever. But if I meet a wonderful man who happens to be divorced without kids, well, that I can change that preference (and have).
What about all the "demands" some women have? Obviously you're older and that's going to change what you do. What about the young women who demand everything and act irritated when they don't get it? I'd say its almost a 50/50 split of women who act like that. Like they are too good to just date a normal guy.

PS. I'm not complaining or something, this is just something I have noticed and has nothing to really do with me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships