Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2016, 11:42 AM

39 posts, read 31,813 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by VanillaChocolate View Post
Agreed. It's like how some people on this forum. May have had super religious parents growing up, and they're atheists now. How children turn out in adulthood is not always how they were raised.

Ha, I'm actually the opposite, my parents weren't religious, and I became the religiousperson.

Old 04-27-2016, 12:11 PM

10,216 posts, read 8,310,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VanillaChocolate View Post
Agreed. It's like how some people on this forum. May have had super religious parents growing up, and they're atheists now. How children turn out in adulthood is not always how they were raised.

Sometimes kids are messed up because they do the opposite of how they were raised. Their parents tried giving advice and helping, but the children figure parents are just nosy, controlling, or have no idea what they're talking about. So they do what they want, and end up a train-wreck.

Or people with low self-esteem. Those that have low self-esteem didn't automatically have degrading or abusive parents.Some have parents who adore them, and do nothing but build them up. But their self-worth and validation doesn't come form their parents, so it doesn't count or help.
I agree with this. My mother was a social butterfly and very popular with men when she was younger. As a result, she had me and my sister's when she was still a teenager. Despite her outgoing nature we three grew up to be very introverted. I grew up in a family full of women until my mom got married two years ago. Parents can do their best but kids will do whatever they want in the end.

Old 04-27-2016, 12:17 PM

22,278 posts, read 21,740,695 times
Being a social butterfly and popular with men is not what causes teen pregnancy. None of the popular girls I grew up with got pregnant at 14 and again at 16. They knew how to prevent that particular monster of a mistake.

However, growing up without strong male role models CAN cause introversion, lack of self-esteem and poor relationships with women.

Old 04-27-2016, 12:47 PM

914 posts, read 738,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zentropa View Post

However, growing up without strong male role models CAN cause introversion

Um, what?

Old 04-27-2016, 12:54 PM

1,881 posts, read 1,484,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by srsmn View Post
1. Oh, those fussy men, daring to be attracted to attractive women and not finding beer guts, frump, pudge, sweats, acne, and towering Xena Amazon Princesses on basketball scholarship at Bryn Mawr to be attractive.

2. It's cute that you think that, but if the object is attracting men, you couldn't be more off the mark.
Complaining into the ether, dear.

But I'll answer for her. Yes, women do have it drilled into their heads from Day One that their worth is tied to their looks. Just because some have rejected the trope, that doesn't mean society doesn't send the message. And unless you're looking at men on OLD, you really can't say what they dress like on there, now can you? Trust me: The American go-to outfit needs work.

Regardless, the thread is about how women rank men, not what men think about women, so kindly do check your privilege, because it's not about how you feel. If you want to talk about how men rank women, go make a thread about it. Not every thread about women's thoughts has to cover how men feel. It's not about you.

Old 04-27-2016, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
I'm just no buying the premise of this thread. 80 percent of men aren't attractive to women???
Probably more than that. While I can find something attractive about most men (one or two features or attributes), that doesn't mean I find most men attractive. ("He has nice eyes but...")

Actually, I think finding 2 men in 10 to be attractive is pretty generous.

Now imagine the shaming that would ensue if a woman banged 1 guy in every 5 who came her way because she found them attractive. She'd be castigated as a tramp left and right on this forum. You'd think the madonna/tramp guys would be on this.

Old 04-27-2016, 01:13 PM

41,936 posts, read 36,989,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JasperJade View Post
Actually, I think finding 2 men in 10 to be attractive is pretty generous.
Well, are we talking within a reasonable age range? That does seem low to me if it is in your target range.

That said, it doesn't matter, since even if every woman found 1 in 5 to be physically good looking (I think this is pertaining to that, not to attractive or not), it won't be the same 1 in 5 for every person.

Old 04-27-2016, 01:15 PM

52,289 posts, read 52,723,379 times
So we grab a group of women. We grab say 10 or maybe more guys, we line them up and we are going to say that all the women in the group might find only 2 or so guys "attractive" attractive to me doesn't mean super hot stud, it just means that they are passable or on the positive side.

It sounds loony to me. The average woman on the street and the average guy on the street are attractive enough, I might believe this silly thread/story if the numbers were slid around, but 80% is just too large of a group of people to make such a definitive statement. The only way it might apply is if you went out and found 10 ugly dudes and have average women judge them, but even then looks for the most part are on a bell curve, as in that middle section is pretty damn wide and the ends on either side are pretty narrow. I rarely see women that make you say to yourself, "Damn that was one ugly one" and same with men, most people aren't hideous, they might not be your cup of tea, but you can see how someone else might like them at least enough to apply the label "attractive" I guess I just have a pretty wide definition of what attractive is, could be vague enough to include a lot of people. A woman could be attractive if she keeps herself in decent shape, is clean, dressed nice enough, pleasant, smiles and is personable. Note, none of those things went into detail about her looks, such as hair color or whatever, that too me is how I define "attractive"

YMMV

Old 04-27-2016, 01:18 PM

41,936 posts, read 36,989,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
So we grab a group of women. We grab say 10 or maybe more guys, we line them up and we are going to say that all the women in the group might find only 2 or so guys "attractive" attractive to me doesn't mean super hot stud, it just means that they are passable or on the positive side.

It sounds loony to me. The average woman on the street and the average guy on the street are attractive enough, I might believe this silly thread/story if the numbers were slid around, but 80% is just too large of a group of people to make such a definitive statement.
Same 2 guys, or any 2 guys? I'd be surprised if only 2 out of 10 were found physically good looking by anyone. But if each woman found only 2 physically good looking, then while that would seem low to me, it wouldn't be nuts.

Old 04-27-2016, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
Well, are we talking within a reasonable age range? That does seem low to me if it is in your target range.

That said, it doesn't matter, since even if every woman found 1 in 5 to be physically good looking (I think this is pertaining to that, not to attractive or not), it won't be the same 1 in 5 for every person.
Can't speak for others, but I'm talking in general. I'm 49. If we were talking my age range, it would be skewed younger, with most of that 10% in their early to mid-40s. I don't find very many men older than 52 or 53 to be attractive at all. Sucks, sounds harsh, but there it is. That's the repercussion of having been with men 7-10 years younger than I am. The ones more than a couple of years older than I am seem old to me, even though technically they're not.

Chow, I don't know that it's loony. I don't want to turn this into a weight thread, but for me, it is a bit of an issue. More than a third of American adults are obese. Not just overweight, but obese. That right there knocks 3 or 4 of the 10 in the room out of the running right off the top for me, because I find obesity unattractive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships