Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2016, 02:00 PM

28,679 posts, read 18,806,457 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itsjustadive View Post
If you find someone attractive, chances are that attraction is biologically or emotionally wired into you. Sometimes is better to find someone who is compatible to you, and not as attractive. Love is beyond physical desire, but still remains a large part of it. Have that somone do things to invite a more attractive setting or moment. Those can be just as rewarding.
No. That's true for inspects, but a human being controls his or her own tastes. Almost all of us have already made broad judgments for or against being attracted to entire categories of people--and those judgments are merely judgments that can be reversed whenever we each really wants to.

Old 04-27-2016, 02:08 PM

1,881 posts, read 1,484,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
No. That's true for inspects, but a human being controls his or her own tastes. Almost all of us have already made broad judgments for or against being attracted to entire categories of people--and those judgments are merely judgments that can be reversed whenever we each really wants to.
I'm sorry, but no. I'm never going to find a 300-pound man attractive. I'm just not.

And there are many, many studies out there about what makes people physically attractive, symmetry of features being the main thing, followed by things like clear eyes and good teeth and hair. On men, it's shoulders wider than hips (the V shape) and strong brow and jaw. Humans are animals. The laws of biology and reproduction apply, especially if one is just looking at pictures. One's looks are coding for genetics.

Old 04-27-2016, 02:15 PM

52,289 posts, read 52,723,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JasperJade View Post
I'm sorry, but no. I'm never going to find a 300-pound man attractive. I'm just not.

And there are many, many studies out there about what makes people physically attractive, symmetry of features being the main thing, followed by things like clear eyes and good teeth and hair. On men, it's shoulders wider than hips (the V shape) and strong brow and jaw. Humans are animals. The laws of biology and reproduction apply, especially if one is just looking at pictures. One's looks are coding for genetics.
All of that is true on a baser level, no one will deny that, but again, this stuff gets subjective when you start adding in other features of a person that go beyond just the physical, attractive can include things that aren't as nearly tangible, that's why you get some of the oddest couple pairing out there where one is clearly more physical attractive or whatever.

I realize the context of this thread is probably more leaning toward just the physical, as it's harder to gage personality traits and again that become more and more subjective, so I still think this thread is silly but whatever, I never had issues so I don't really have a dog in the fight as they say.

Old 04-27-2016, 02:27 PM

1,881 posts, read 1,484,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
All of that is true on a baser level, no one will deny that, but again, this stuff gets subjective when you start adding in other features of a person that go beyond just the physical, attractive can include things that aren't as nearly tangible, that's why you get some of the oddest couple pairing out there where one is clearly more physical attractive or whatever.

I realize the context of this thread is probably more leaning toward just the physical, as it's harder to gage personality traits and again that become more and more subjective, so I still think this thread is silly but whatever, I never had issues so I don't really have a dog in the fight as they say.
Yeah, but what do we have to go on in OLD? Some sites let you see a couple of lines of the intro, but OKC it's just pictures and percentage match. If one doesn't like the photo, chances are one is not going to click. Even if it's a high percentage, like 97%, if a photo actively turns me off, I'm not clicking. Could be the sweetest, funniest, smartest guy, but if my first reaction is , it's not worth wasting either his or my time. He has to at least inspire a for me to want to go ahead and see what he wrote.

Old 04-27-2016, 02:38 PM

5,573 posts, read 3,350,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JasperJade View Post
Can't speak for others, but I'm talking in general. I'm 49. If we were talking my age range, it would be skewed younger, with most of that 10% in their early to mid-40s. I don't find very many men older than 52 or 53 to be attractive at all. Sucks, sounds harsh, but there it is. That's the repercussion of having been with men 7-10 years younger than I am. The ones more than a couple of years older than I am seem old to me, even though technically they're not.

Chow, I don't know that it's loony. I don't want to turn this into a weight thread, but for me, it is a bit of an issue. More than a third of American adults are obese. Not just overweight, but obese. That right there knocks 3 or 4 of the 10 in the room out of the running right off the top for me, because I find obesity unattractive.

Well, ok then. I guess I'm curious what else you find unattractive about men? Let's see, you've covered clothing and style in general, age, and weight. Surely that can't be it? There's hairlines, hair color (men dye their hair so poorly) height, skin care, facial hair, hobbies, reading habits, creativity, finances, level of ambition, and probably a whole pile of other traits or attributes you might want to offer opinions on. With a little effort you could prick most every man here. And since we could probably improve in at least some of these areas, you'd really be doing a good deed, and if we can't change to meet your approval, at least we'll know our place.

So I think I speak for all the men here when I say, "please don't make us wait?"

Last edited by homina12; 04-27-2016 at 02:50 PM..

Old 04-27-2016, 03:39 PM

22,278 posts, read 21,740,695 times
Doesn't "attractive" mean that you are attracted to the person at some level? 20% sounds right to me, for both friends and lovers.

Old 04-27-2016, 05:13 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,473,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilac110 View Post
Oh, those fussy women, daring to be attracted to attractive men and not finding beer guts, ball caps, and jeans and t-shirts--the classic American outfit--to be attractive. Let's be honest here: I did online dating, and well over half of the men I saw on there fit that description.

If you guys want to get women to look at your profile, have a woman dress you and take your photo for it. Because honestly? A lot of you just don't know how to present yourselves. We gals do, because it has been hammered into our heads from Day One.

Yes, let's be honest. I read the OP as complaining about the LACK of honesty regarding this among women. They should own what they believe and proudly carry their beliefs.

Old 04-27-2016, 05:16 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,473,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by homina12 View Post
Well, ok then. I guess I'm curious what else you find unattractive about men? Let's see, you've covered clothing and style in general, age, and weight. Surely that can't be it? There's hairlines, hair color (men dye their hair so poorly) height, skin care, facial hair, hobbies, reading habits, creativity, finances, level of ambition, and probably a whole pile of other traits or attributes you might want to offer opinions on. With a little effort you could prick most every man here. And since we could probably improve in at least some of these areas, you'd really be doing a good deed, and if we can't change to meet your approval, at least we'll know our place.

So I think I speak for all the men here when I say, "please don't make us wait?"

Well you do have to admit, a whole lot of men look unattractive if not downright scuzzy. Especially in the lower reaches of the income scale.

Old 04-27-2016, 05:48 PM

39 posts, read 31,813 times
It seems that I am in the 80% and I'm okay with that

Old 04-27-2016, 09:10 PM

44,369 posts, read 20,073,157 times
This 3-year-old, height-related thread was resurrected two days ago. Height posts are no longer permitted. Gross generalizations are just wrong and are not permitted. There aren't enough hours in a day nor days in a week to clean up this thread. It is now closed.
Moderator of Canada (and sub-fora), Illinois (and sub-fora), Indiana (and sub-fora), Caregiving, Community Chat, Fashion & Beauty, Hair Care, Games/Trivia, History, Nature, Non-romantic Relationships, Psychology, Travel, Work & Employment, Writing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships