Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2013, 07:35 AM

10,379 posts, read 10,923,196 times

Advertisements

If you've decided for sure that you don't want children, getting the vasectomy is a great idea. No surprises. When your dating, I wouldn't bring it up at all. Why? If a relationship gets to a conversation about marriage, then its time to talk, since women often are interested in marriage and children as a kind of package deal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2013, 08:24 AM

1,065 posts, read 1,802,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by willow bear View Post
Your family may be more upset then anyone. Lol

Idk by the third date maybe, bring up that a friend had a baby and slide into the fact you won't and go from there.

Good luck.
My family understands my reasons and supports me. Besides, my sister just had twin girls last month, so I'm completely off the hook

Old 11-12-2013, 08:29 AM

20,764 posts, read 19,984,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by augiedogie View Post
When your dating, I wouldn't bring it up at all. Why? If a relationship gets to a conversation about marriage, then its time to talk, since women often are interested in marriage and children as a kind of package deal.

You can safe waste/alot of time if you bring it up early on. You really want to fall in love with somebody, date for a while and then ask the question and then maybe break up over it? Wayyy to stressful.

I usually bring the children question up before I even kiss somebody.

If you get to meet somebody new, you ask "have you been married before", then next "do you have children?" "No? Never wanted any or just not the right partner?".

There is always an opportunity to find out.

Old 11-12-2013, 08:35 AM

334 posts, read 716,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NilaJones View Post
To me, the purpose of the first date is just to decide if you want a second date . Then the purpose of the next few dates is to decide if you want to try out a relationship and see how that goes. So that's the time to bring up any dealbreakers. And before sex!
Well said!

Old 11-12-2013, 08:53 AM

102,218 posts, read 107,977,655 times
Quote:
To me, the purpose of the first date is just to decide if you want a second date . Then the purpose of the next few dates is to decide if you want to try out a relationship and see how that goes. So that's the time to bring up any dealbreakers. And before sex!
Excellent, very sensible advice. And good for you, OP, for approaching women IRL in Seattle. I'm sure they appreciate it!

Bringing up your no-kids preference will help you weed through all your dating options and find the women out there who share your preference. And they're definitely out there, in Seattle. That said, though, I want to add you never know, you may change your mind at some point. My brother was solidly in the no-kids camp, and when he got married, his wife agreed. After some years, though, her hormones started pushing her to have kids, so the issue was reopened for discussion, and he reluctantly went along to keep her happy. Well, the kids are grown now, and raising them was an extremely rewarding experience for him. So I'm just saying--you never know.
But go ahead and get the vasectomy (they're reversible), but don't rely on that as the sole method of birth control, because I've heard of cases where even the vasectomy failed to prevent pregnancy.

Good luck, OP, and keep us posted re: your new life in Seattle.

Last edited by Ruth4Truth; 11-12-2013 at 09:09 AM..

Old 11-12-2013, 09:06 AM

26,700 posts, read 41,758,476 times
Quote:
If you are doing online dating, that's easy -- put it in your profile. Screen out the girls who want babies.

With someone you met first IRL, I'd say second or third date, not first. Unless she mentions wanting kids on the first date (I have dated guys who did this).

This would be the post I tend to agree with. First date, no. But 2nd or 3rd is soon enough to avoid attachment if ya'll indeed differ on this issue.

Old 11-12-2013, 09:59 AM

1,065 posts, read 1,802,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dissenter View Post
This would be the post I tend to agree with. First date, no. But 2nd or 3rd is soon enough to avoid attachment if ya'll indeed differ on this issue.
I rather like the idea of bringing it up in casual conversation before a first date so I don't waste my money and time cause let's face it, date nights are expensive and I would prefer to find out a women's stance in children before I open up my wallet for a casual date. But I know that's not always possible, hence why I like the online dating aspect, I can filter out unwanted characteristics, no guessing involved. But that also has its own issues....

Old 11-12-2013, 10:03 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,716,107 times
Do not get a vasectomy and expect to be able to reverse it. It's possible but they are meant to be permanent and your urologist may do a good job.

Old 11-12-2013, 10:07 AM

102,218 posts, read 107,977,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AT-AT28 View Post
I rather like the idea of bringing it up in casual conversation before a first date so I don't waste my money and time cause let's face it, date nights are expensive and I would prefer to find out a women's stance in children before I open up my wallet for a casual date.
Consider the option of having 1st dates that don't require a major expenditure, or any expenditure. There are many options in Seattle: spending an afternoon in the conservatory and climbing the water tower to enjoy the view in Volunteer Park on Capitol Hill, then going for coffee afterwards; renting a canoe at the UW boating center (picnic lunch--optional); walking/biking/skating around Greenlake (summer: stopping for a swim--optional); walking around the UW Arboretum; hiking around Discovery Park or attending an event at the Native American center there; a couple of hours touring the Seattle Art Museum with a visit to Pike Place Mkt for snacks or lunch; and many more possibilities.

Last edited by Ruth4Truth; 11-12-2013 at 10:16 AM..

Old 11-12-2013, 10:13 AM

1,003 posts, read 1,612,604 times
Quote:
I"ll be turning 34 mid next year and plan on having a vasectomy to finalize my decision on this.
I think I love you! I wish I met more guys like you where I live. For those dates where you haven't met the woman online, I'd give it a few dates before discussing kiddos. See if you have chemistry first. You are a very smart guy to get a vasectomy and not allow any female to trap you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships