Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2013, 03:09 PM

2,240 posts, read 5,861,348 times

Advertisements

Well, I think you could sort of ease into this if you don't want to go the brutally honest route. Something along the lines of, "Where do you see yourself in 10 years?" Don't deliver it like a job interview; it would need to naturally be worked into a conversation. Then if she says married with kids, you then have a natural opening. I agree that it should be sooner rather than later, but probably not on the phone before you even set up the first date.

ETA: I appreciate your desire to be honest. There's nothing worse than to find out a year or two or three into a relationship that you and your SO have opposing views on the child issue. It's not one that allows for compromise (you do or you don't have children).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2013, 03:15 PM

3,009 posts, read 3,644,348 times
I want kids but if do not finish college If I not do not deserve to be a dad. My job I am at now will not be good enough to feed a family. It is cool if you do not want kids and think it a good idea to let it be known so no one wasting each others time.

Old 11-12-2013, 04:08 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,638,087 times
Fairly quickly, I'd guess...third date at the latest if you see dating turning into something more long term.

Me and my guy talked kids on our..second date I think. Both of us are 'meh' abouts kids and not in either camp solidly. I do think we're both leaning towards childfree though.

Old 11-12-2013, 04:20 PM

4,187 posts, read 5,161,433 times
Pets are good for people on the fence. They're cuter than kids, usually trainable, and you don't have to pay 200,000 dollars for their education.

Old 11-12-2013, 05:55 PM

3,009 posts, read 3,644,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inebriated Duck View Post
Pets are good for people on the fence. They're cuter than kids, usually trainable, and you don't have to pay 200,000 dollars for their education.
Just do not say your dog like your kid . seeing that you do not have a dog cuz your to drunk to pull out.

Old 11-12-2013, 06:05 PM

13,657 posts, read 9,724,335 times
This is one of the great advantages of online dating. Online, the kids-or-no-kids discussion occurs in the e-mail interchange period before the first date. If there are unpleasant surprises, the first date is obviated, and one moves on, without feeling pressure or ill-will. In real-life, where the initiation of the date is based on physical attraction of chance interaction, core-values questions such as reproductive choice will become conversation-topics during the physical date. If one feels strong attraction to one's date, but worries about causing affront if too soon sharing an unorthodox opinion such as desire to remain child-free, the result is "stringing along" one's date, possibly leading to emotional hardship for both. But with online dating, the winnowing happens before the first physical touch - fast and simple.

Old 11-12-2013, 07:43 PM

6,732 posts, read 9,999,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by krieger00 View Post
you do not have a dog cuz your to drunk to pull out.
That would be hilarious!

'Honey, how'd this dog get in the house? What's it doing curled up on our couch? Oh, d*mn!'

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohio_peasant View Post
If one feels strong attraction to one's date, but worries about causing affront if too soon sharing an unorthodox opinion such as desire to remain child-free, the result is "stringing along" one's date, possibly leading to emotional hardship for both. But with online dating, the winnowing happens before the first physical touch - fast and simple.
That's dumb. You should say it anyway.

Old 11-12-2013, 09:01 PM

1,065 posts, read 1,802,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NilaJones View Post
Daily Kos: Planned Parenthood provided my vasectomy. for free!

Googling shows they do this in many states of the US.
I make too much money to qualify

Old 11-12-2013, 09:08 PM

12,535 posts, read 15,207,787 times
I always mentioned it on the third date. Often enough, a wailing child in the vicinity provided the perfect segue for me. I'd say something like, "And that is why I don't want children."

Sounds cold and blunt, but it leaves no room for debate. My attitude was that if the guy thinks I'm a beyotch, we're not right for each other, but if he high-fives me, we're onto something.

I don't have to worry about it anymore, though. That's one of the benefits of being in one's 40s. It's not even a discussion.

Old 11-12-2013, 10:37 PM

2,793 posts, read 4,072,165 times
I don't think a woman needs to know you got or are going to get a vasectomy unless you're discussing birth control or she flat our doesn't believe you about not wanting kids. As you and I both know, some people can't even comprehend not wanting children, hehe.

For myself, I try to bring it up asap. Preferbly on the first date or before. A good segue is your sister's twins. Or children around you (strangers that may be irritating). But then again, I'm pretty blunt. I'll ask the guy if he has kids and if he wants any, so I can rule him out or not. I don't believe a guy should have to buy me dinner, only to find I don't want kids and he does.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships