Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2014, 11:37 AM

11,864 posts, read 17,009,617 times

Advertisements

I don't think my looks hurt me much. I'm pretty average.

An ugly person might lack attention, but a physically attractive person might attract too much attention, including that of users and losers. Not sure which is better/worse.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2014, 11:38 AM

4,380 posts, read 4,453,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJS99 View Post
I'd say I'm surprised you don't get approached.

I've definitely approached women worse looking than you and gotten rejected. Are you telling the whole truth about not getting approached?

In any case, everybody's sense of attraction is based on their own level of looks. So, if you fall beyond what most people consider attractive, it's a tough deal.
Thanks. Yep, I'm telling the truth about not getting approached. I've had a couple of guy friends tell me my biggest detractor is that I'm over 35. Can't exactly do anything about that. It's not all bad though. There are times when being single has it's advantages-like if I want to take a trip. I don't have to clear it or discuss finances with anyone other than myself.

I am working on losing weight. Not for purposes of trying to attract a man, however. My dad died of diabetes when he was 53 and I was recently diagnosed as pre-diabetic. This is one instance in which I have no desire to follow in my father's footsteps. Do I think this will make me more attractive to men? Well, I was really thin in my 20's and didn't date much then either so we'll see.

Old 01-03-2014, 11:50 AM

34,938 posts, read 36,280,152 times
If I am to assume it's all based on looks, I must be GORGEOUS.

LOL.

Seriously? I don't think it's just looks, but I'd have to say mine have helped more than they hurt.

Old 01-03-2014, 11:56 AM

19,112 posts, read 30,640,756 times
Quote:
Then, how would you explain getting rejected by female friends who love you as a person and want to be around you.

It's a rhetorical question actually. I already know the answer.
They have no feelings for you. I have a few good male friends that are very attractive and we get along great but I wouldn't consider them as relationship material. They either have big personality flaws that don't make a difference if we're friends, or there's just no feeling there. Luckily, they feel the same way towards me.

Old 01-03-2014, 12:09 PM

5,324 posts, read 6,104,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewdrop93 View Post
. But if your looks aren't that great and your personality isn't great - things are going to be tough.
I can vouch for that lol

Old 01-03-2014, 12:15 PM

2,087 posts, read 2,850,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NWGirl74 View Post
Thanks. Yep, I'm telling the truth about not getting approached. I've had a couple of guy friends tell me my biggest detractor is that I'm over 35. Can't exactly do anything about that. It's not all bad though. There are times when being single has it's advantages-like if I want to take a trip. I don't have to clear it or discuss finances with anyone other than myself.

I am working on losing weight. Not for purposes of trying to attract a man, however. My dad died of diabetes when he was 53 and I was recently diagnosed as pre-diabetic. This is one instance in which I have no desire to follow in my father's footsteps. Do I think this will make me more attractive to men? Well, I was really thin in my 20's and didn't date much then either so we'll see.
Oh well. Welcome to the club. Women aren't attracted to me either.

Good luck on losing weight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post
They have no feelings for you. I have a few good male friends that are very attractive and we get along great but I wouldn't consider them as relationship material. They either have big personality flaws that don't make a difference if we're friends, or there's just no feeling there. Luckily, they feel the same way towards me.
Oh, all of your male friends who are dogs and only interested in super hot women even though they are batchit crazy?

I really don't believe women when they say there's a physically attractive guy with a good personality who they are just not interested in dating at all. I mean if he is HOT, they will be interested.

Now, some women may have so many options that many above average looking men who are perfectly fine guys are not good enough, because they don't have enough swag or masculinity, are not their specific clique type, etc. That I see a lot of.

Old 01-03-2014, 12:19 PM

5,121 posts, read 6,807,257 times
I think I am pretty average in the looks department. But one thing I noticed is my attitude mattered more than my looks.

All things being equal, years ago I was much prettier (or at least I had the same looks I have now, but I was also much younger to boot). I had almost no interest from men--not even so much as a flirt from my late teens to my mid 20s. It's like I was invisible. But I was also very quiet and very shy. I was little more than a statue, lol.

I came out of my shell over the years... I am essentially the same person and have the same personality, I am just more outward about it (and I think come across as friendlier). My looks are the same, if anything I've aged which is supposed to be "bad" for women, yet I have much better luck with men now than any time ever in my life (they seem much more interested in me based on being able to get dates, flirts, etc).

It's why I will argue until I am blue in the face that attitude can matter as much as looks. Or at the very least a poor attitude will ruin your looks and a good and friendly attitude will improve them.

Old 01-03-2014, 12:19 PM

4,187 posts, read 5,161,993 times
They have not helped all that much, frankly. In my time in the dating scene (at least the Western one), I've come to realize that looks for guys is useful but much lower than qualities like charisma, intelligence, emotional and financial stability, and sexual skill (yes, seriously).

Old 01-03-2014, 12:57 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,640,756 times
Quote:
Oh well. Welcome to the club. Women aren't attracted to me either.

Good luck on losing weight.

Oh, all of your male friends who are dogs and only interested in super hot women even though they are batchit crazy?

I really don't believe women when they say there's a physically attractive guy with a good personality who they are just not interested in dating at all. I mean if he is HOT, they will be interested.

Now, some women may have so many options that many above average looking men who are perfectly fine guys are not good enough, because they don't have enough swag or masculinity, are not their specific clique type, etc. That I see a lot of.
Yeah, I totally want to date a guy who has a history of cheating, multiple baby mommas etc. just because he's 'hot'. No thanks.

I do know quite a few really good looking men who also have pretty good personalities and we get along well, but I would NEEEEEVERRRRRR consider dating them.

Old 01-03-2014, 01:00 PM

21,192 posts, read 25,181,467 times
Quote:
Then, how would you explain getting rejected by female friends who love you as a person and want to be around you.

It's a rhetorical question actually. I already know the answer.
The fact of the matter is that you don't know the answer. I know I'm wasting my breath with you - that's quite obvious by now - but I've said this before and I'll say it again. Attraction is not just based on looks. It's also not just based on personality. You can enjoy someone's company and think they are attractive and still not be attracted to them. I've had friends like that before. It's not that they weren't attractive enough. In fact, I'd say that it had more to do with their personality than their looks. There has to be a certain amount of sexual chemistry with someone - and often times that is something that is sparked by how you interact with each other. I've had friends that were very attractive and I got along with them very well - but I still wasn't sexually attracted to them. Looks and attraction do not go hand in hand. I know, I'm wasting my breath.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships