Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2014, 10:47 PM

4,613 posts, read 4,795,971 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJS99 View Post

Uh. Height is part of looks dude. So if your height helps, then your looks helps you.
Uh, not if you're sitting down dude.

It's a physical feature, but not always considered part of "looks". Where do you draw the line? If I have nice hands, are they part of my "looks"? What about my clothes? What about a subtle foot shape?

To simplify things, I left it to just "face". Of course someone's height is a factor in OVERALL looks, but you don't always make an impression with your OVERALL looks. Especially if you're doing it online and using face pictures.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2014, 10:49 PM

3,009 posts, read 3,643,385 times
If woman just dated guys based on looks there would be millions of guys that would never get any dates.

Old 01-04-2014, 01:23 AM

8,011 posts, read 8,210,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by krieger00 View Post
If woman just dated guys based on looks there would be millions of guys that would never get any dates.
It's just that simple, but as far as the OP goes, you may as well be talking to a brick wall.

Old 01-04-2014, 01:40 AM

33,016 posts, read 27,464,007 times
Dang, I just discovered there is no option to rate a post negatively.

Old 01-04-2014, 02:26 AM

97 posts, read 159,871 times
Now I want to see pics of everyone

As for the original question, I believe my looks are OK, but not much attention from guys....BUT I've also married early (at 19) and always have a kid(or 4) in tow lol. As a teen, most boys/men checked out my friend..She had an ugly face but massive boobs and was easy and they knew it. Me? I was shy and very unlikely to talk to you. I'm a lot more open now so I feel if I were ever divorced.....and lost the extra poundage...I'd do just fine

Old 01-04-2014, 02:37 AM

16,200 posts, read 23,048,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSoundOfMuzak View Post
I think that any time a girl has ever liked me is because she thought I was cute. I've also noticed that little changes in my looks have led to increased or decreased responsiveness from girls.

Still, there are some people here who think that looks don't matter much if you're a guy.

What has been your personal experience with how your physical attractiveness has affected your dating options?

Depening on where you live lets say like in NYC or in other areas of the Northeast looks will do matter if your a guy and not so much if your a woman. I see the ugliest and most unattractive women wont someone, but a guy that is average or below average have it harder than average women from my perspective or experience.

Old 01-04-2014, 09:38 AM

543 posts, read 534,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlguy39 View Post
My girlfriend and I had a brief conversation about a guy I know who is evidently a stud with women. He is NOT good looking. I said it was a mystery to me. She said its more about personality than looks for women and that men are more focused on looks. I couldn't argue. Thats what has hurt me, my lack of personality, ie: not very outgoing. I'm an introvert. My feedback has been that I'm good looking but being introverted makes people think I'm arrogant or stuck up because I'm quiet. I hate that. So I don't think looks matter much to women.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewdrop93 View Post
What makes me think you don't get it is that you only think in black and white terms. All women will go for hot guys. The only women that won't go for hot guys are the women that can't get hot guys. If a guy isn't hot - the only women that will go for him will be settling. You have made it ALL about looks and it isn't. It just isn't. I know it makes you feel better to say it is all about looks - it lets you off the hook for everything. Women don't like you - it's ONLY because of your looks. You don't need to accept any personal responsibility. It's all on the women because women are shallow and you aren't hot enough. Hot guys don't have to do anything and the best women will be falling all over them.

This simply isn't realistic. But like I said - I know I'm wasting my breath. It's obvious that you don't want to see things any other way. You have found something to cling to and nothing will shake you of your beliefs. And that's fine. It's just not reality.
Which is why OLD is so worthless. Men firstly go off of looks. I'll admit that. Which is an easy trait to judge at first glance by a picture. But women? Women need some conversation. Some chemistry to be attracted. Which is nigh on impossible to convey without being in person. Which places the man at an immediate disadvantage.

Old 01-04-2014, 09:46 AM

9,301 posts, read 8,349,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSoundOfMuzak View Post
I think that any time a girl has ever liked me is because she thought I was cute. I've also noticed that little changes in my looks have led to increased or decreased responsiveness from girls.

Still, there are some people here who think that looks don't matter much if you're a guy.

What has been your personal experience with how your physical attractiveness has affected your dating options?
Interesting question. There was a thread that got moved that talked about how looks matter and such. I have noticed that when I hide under a hat, women tend to be less responsive. (Also, the days I hide under my hat, I don't have time to fix my hair and my face looks jacked up as well (like I'm having an allergic reaction), so it just wouldn't be a pretty picture.

On days when I have my hair groomed reasonably well (not too good where I lose my ruggedness ), women seem to compete for my attention and whenever I speak to them, they act closer to as if they just talked to Ryan Gosling, or Idris Elba.

Old 01-04-2014, 11:05 AM

863 posts, read 1,129,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Men do this. They tell a buddy the guy "could do better".
Like women don't? My ex-girlfriend's two sisters (one of whom were VERY unattractive) sister told her I was too short for her.

Quote:
Originally Posted by flathead4 View Post
Which is why OLD is so worthless. Men firstly go off of looks. I'll admit that. Which is an easy trait to judge at first glance by a picture. But women? Women need some conversation. Some chemistry to be attracted. Which is nigh on impossible to convey without being in person. Which places the man at an immediate disadvantage.
Compare a man's profile to a woman's profile on their "what they're looking for" section. I've never seen a man's profile, but when looking for women on Match years ago, all I saw most women post were: Height-5'10+, Ethnicity-White/Caucasian or Latin/Hispanic, Body Type-Average, Thin or Athletic. I'm a short, black guy that left that site because of it. I've NEVER seen a woman on there looking for someone who looks like me.

Old 01-04-2014, 11:15 AM

5,347 posts, read 7,201,037 times
Immensely.

I was able to have success with women in my younger years even before I had much confidence or social skills. Good looking Girls in MS and HS went out of their way to tell me they liked me without me doing pretty much anything. However it gave me a skewed perception of what average or below average men to through when it comes to options.

That early success because of my looks gave me confidence and I wasn't jaded compared to some of my peers. Look at how the guys who never had girls act? It F'd them up and many don't recover. I think people in general take early validation of your attraction and success with the opposite sex for granted
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships