Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2014, 01:53 PM

2,087 posts, read 2,848,824 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post
Duh. Everyone is like this, men and women alike. The thing is, what you find attractive, the guy next to you might think is a dog. I do feel men are more attracted to the same type of women, but that women are attracted to a wider array of men..but that's just coming from my own observations.

I don't think my sisters boyfriend is attractive at all, personality OR looks-wise. She feels the same about my guy...yet here we are.
If that were true, then everybody would get hit on, and there'd be no need for a thread like this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2014, 01:56 PM

11,865 posts, read 16,998,101 times
Quote:
Duh. Everyone is like this, men and women alike. The thing is, what you find attractive, the guy next to you might think is a dog. I do feel men are more attracted to the same type of women, but that women are attracted to a wider array of men..but that's just coming from my own observations.

I don't think my sisters boyfriend is attractive at all, personality OR looks-wise. She feels the same about my guy...yet here we are.
I agree. My friend introduced me to her roommate's boyfriend a while back, and after he left, she said, "love really is blind." He was not attractive to me at all but the roommate is crazy about him and thinks he's a dreamboat.

Old 01-03-2014, 01:56 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,622,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJS99 View Post
If that were true, then everybody would get hit on, and there'd be no need for a thread like this.
Eh, I don't get hit on...ever. I know I'm a good person and I make friends extremely easily...but I also know I have a few glaring physical issues that make men not attracted to me. Big deal. There's nothing I can do to change them, so I stopped dwelling on it.

Old 01-03-2014, 02:01 PM

21,192 posts, read 25,161,879 times
Quote:
You are blowing my theory out of proportion.

I said women will DATE hot men, I didn't say they would marry them. There's still compatibility.

And if women like you as a person, but you have trouble dating, then what other conclusion can you come to. What if a woman says you're awesome but rejects you?

I know the answer. Just hit on more women until one accepts you. I understand how to play.
And I disagree that women will even DATE hot men just because they are hot. There have been lots of hot men that I have not dated because I did not want to date them. But I will say this - I was at a party one time and I was talking to two guys. One would probably be considered "hot" by most people's standards and the other one wasn't. I was actually more attracted to the guy that wasn't hot - he was super funny and I had more fun talking to him. However, he wasn't the one that made a move on me. So I left with the hot guy. I would have rather have left with the other guy but he didn't make a move. The hot guy didn't have a bad personality - he just wasn't as fun. Oh well. But there were guys that hit on me that were hot that I had absolutely no interest in. And for the record - I've dated guys that were hot and guys that were not attractive to many people at first glance. Simply being hot is not enough - not even for a date.

Quote:
I have never "hit on" a guy because I need to know someone a bit before I know if I am attracted to them. Being hit on is not the only measure of being attractive to people.

Old 01-03-2014, 02:02 PM

21,192 posts, read 25,161,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the minx View Post
I agree. My friend introduced me to her roommate's boyfriend a while back, and after he left, she said, "love really is blind." He was not attractive to me at all but the roommate is crazy about him and thinks he's a dreamboat.
My best friend and I have totally different taste in men. While we aren't attracted to the same guys - we can predict who the other one will be attracted to!

Old 01-03-2014, 02:09 PM

5,324 posts, read 6,099,823 times
Women are way too honest with heach other,id never tell any of my friends if i didnt think one of his girlfriends was unattractive dont you ladies have any filter?

Old 01-03-2014, 02:14 PM

4,380 posts, read 4,449,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewdrop93 View Post
But I will say this - I was at a party one time and I was talking to two guys. One would probably be considered "hot" by most people's standards and the other one wasn't. I was actually more attracted to the guy that wasn't hot - he was super funny and I had more fun talking to him. before I know if I am attracted to them. Being hit on is not the only measure of being attractive to people.
I met my best guy friend at a volunteer event. I was working with him and another guy. Physically, I found the other guy much more attractive-he was definitely more my type. However, at the end of the day, my now best guy friend was the one I'd hoped to run into again-I was more attracted to him overall because he made me laugh.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewdrop93 View Post
My best friend and I have totally different taste in men.
Same here! She's married but we definitely don't find the same men attractive, although neither of us are really interested in dating the "pretty boy"/GQ cover model types either. Yeah, I can appreciate how they look but don't find myself going gaga over them.

Old 01-03-2014, 02:19 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,622,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBT1980 View Post
Women are way too honest with heach other,id never tell any of my friends if i didnt think one of his girlfriends was unattractive dont you ladies have any filter?
Because being 'hot' is probably the most important thing to most men...if their friends don't think their girlfriend is hot then she isn't really worth dating, so that's basically the ultimate insult.

Personally, I couldn't care less if my friends don't think my boyfriend is hot because it has zero bearing on how I feel about him.

Old 01-03-2014, 02:26 PM

4,613 posts, read 4,793,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSoundOfMuzak View Post
I think that any time a girl has ever liked me is because she thought I was cute. I've also noticed that little changes in my looks have led to increased or decreased responsiveness from girls.

Still, there are some people here who think that looks don't matter much if you're a guy.

What has been your personal experience with how your physical attractiveness has affected your dating options?
As qualified in the OP, we can only perceive so much when it comes to ourselves...but I don't think my looks have been a major factor at all for my dating options (positively or negatively)

I'm an average looking guy, and as far as I can tell, it has been a non-factor for dating. Small changes have little to no effect. I think an exaggerated way of summing up my experience regarding guy's looks is:

-You'll get a good reaction if you're a 9-10
-You'll get a poor reaction if you're a 1-2
-If you're anywhere between a 3-7, it doesn't make much difference.

As mentioned, it's an exaggeration, but I think in general, unless you're outstandingly attractive or ugly...it doesn't matter much. I've had the opposite experience as some of the previous posters...it seems that the first thing that strikes others about me is my personality, not my looks. Maybe it just feels that way.

That said, being tall has been a HUGE boon. Like, unquestionably, the biggest factor.

Old 01-03-2014, 02:53 PM

5,324 posts, read 6,099,823 times
Quote:
Because being 'hot' is probably the most important thing to most men...if their friends don't think their girlfriend is hot then she isn't really worth dating, so that's basically the ultimate insult.

Personally, I couldn't care less if my friends don't think my boyfriend is hot because it has zero bearing on how I feel about him.
It has nothing to do with that its called social grace/tact
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships