Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2014, 03:21 PM

4,038 posts, read 4,863,922 times

Advertisements

Dude, maybe it's just a phase. It might blow over in time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2014, 03:26 PM

14,375 posts, read 18,374,578 times
Yikes. I think a direct and honest discussion is due. Since she is not given to passive aggressive behaviors, this could all be very subconscious for her. I have an ex who was very important to me in terms of my personal growth, but I would never want to get back with him. Yet sometimes a particular season of the year or maybe a certain scent will remind me of a particularly good time with him even 10 years later. I will be wistful and nostalgic for a few days, not for the relationship but for the person I was back then, the changes I was going through and the joyful moments that were evoked - I will sometimes retreat into sappy songs at the same time.

She may also be dealing with some depression or avoiding issues in your marriage by thinking back on this guy. Don't panic yet. Just talk to her about it and don't be afraid of the idea of couples therapy.

Old 02-20-2014, 06:13 PM

2,319 posts, read 3,051,605 times
I'd be really curious as to why she held onto her prior boyfriends contact info since you said it has been five years and she messaged him.

Old 02-20-2014, 07:37 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,576,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Molli View Post
I'd be really curious as to why she held onto her prior boyfriends contact info since you said it has been five years and she messaged him.
I would presume it's available via social media.

Old 02-21-2014, 05:32 AM

9 posts, read 40,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
I would presume it's available via social media.
Correct. It's 2014 you can find anyone at any time.

Old 02-21-2014, 05:38 AM

9 posts, read 40,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilac110 View Post
Dear OP's Wife Who Might Read This:

Girl, what are you doing? You broke up with the other guy FIVE YEARS AGO. What, can't handle the fact that maybe he moved on and is living well without you? Want some attention? Your husband isn't enough for you?

Let me guess: Mr. Five Years Ago told you to go jump in a lake, and now you're pining for him because to you it seems he apparently grew a spine, whereas your husband, in his patient understanding, is now the Nice Guy Doormat for you to step on and rub your dirt all over like a little sadist.

GROW UP.

Yours, Woman to Woman,

Lilac
Haha thanks for the backup. Only variation is she dumped him 5 years ago. She even showed me all the messages he sent (way back when) of him begging for her back. That's why I'm a little confused at this point, because your version would make more sense.

Old 02-21-2014, 05:49 AM

7,136 posts, read 12,673,848 times
I think you need to talk to her about this in a non-confrontational way. Perhaps begin with, "What ever happened when you contacted SoandSo? How do you feel about it? Was it Painful to you? Did it dredge up old memories? I know he was important to you, but you're important to me and I'd like to be there for you. Is there anything I can do to make you feel better? etc." Then if I were you I'd step up my game just a bit and give her more TLC because she's obviously trying to deal with this on her own and is having limited success. This is your time to shine and show her you are the man of her dreams, love of her life, and the one who will have her back no matter what. Every woman wants that no matter what they say. You can be so wonderful that the guy from the past fades into the past again. You can do this.

Old 02-21-2014, 07:56 AM

706 posts, read 1,042,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilac110 View Post
Dear OP's Wife Who Might Read This:

Girl, what are you doing? You broke up with the other guy FIVE YEARS AGO. What, can't handle the fact that maybe he moved on and is living well without you? Want some attention? Your husband isn't enough for you?

Let me guess: Mr. Five Years Ago told you to go jump in a lake, and now you're pining for him because to you it seems he apparently grew a spine, whereas your husband, in his patient understanding, is now the Nice Guy Doormat for you to step on and rub your dirt all over like a little sadist.

GROW UP.

Yours, Woman to Woman,

Lilac
why is she contacting a dude from 5 years ago?? He probably knew how to lay the "pipe"... OP needs to man up and give her the D.

Old 02-21-2014, 08:02 AM

1,226 posts, read 1,449,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewGuy16 View Post
Haha thanks for the backup. Only variation is she dumped him 5 years ago. She even showed me all the messages he sent (way back when) of him begging for her back. That's why I'm a little confused at this point, because your version would make more sense.

She saved his messages?! Up to now? Texts? Wow. Dude, sorry to say you obviously are a rebound guy. Gosh if I were you I would be soooo pissed.

I am surprised you haven't flip yet. And if she showed me his messages I would say... IT IS NONE OF MY BUSINESS! AND WHY ARE YOU SHOWING IT TO ME? Ego trip?

I forgot if you have kids or not. Your wife is nuts. And she is disrespecting you dude. You better TELL her to stop this nonsense. And if you don't have kids hurry up and impregnate her, ASAP!

That will give her something to do. She is nuts your wife. I am telling you.

Old 02-21-2014, 09:55 AM

1,748 posts, read 1,296,337 times
Tell her you have an ex gf you feel apologetic about and start watching some lost love movies when she's around like nobody's business...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships