Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: If a woman appraoches you and shows interest in you... and you are interested in her... do you ask f
yes 13 76.47%
no 4 23.53%
Voters: 17. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2014, 08:52 PM

6,732 posts, read 9,999,377 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jillabean View Post
Thanks for the answers so far! They are interesting to read and it's nice to get some insight.

The big issue I have with having to initial everything from breaking the ice to asking out is that I did do this during my last relationship. I broke the ice, made the first moves, made the dates, came on to him, and initiated our first sexual encounter... and I ended up being really into the guy too, but it turned out he wasn't all that into me. I was a "fun distraction" and he kind of went along with it because he had no other prospects. I ended up wasting several months on him and am still trying to "Get over" him.

So after being burned (in that respect) I am even more on guard. I don't want to risk wasting months of time on another fickle man. It would be nicer if men would just reject upfront instead going along with everything for the distraction. It's the difference between yanking off a bandaid and slowly pulling one off forever. But that doesn't seem to happen. Hence the conundrum for me (and I think other women as well) I want men who are really interested in me to make a move too... but so many of you pointed out a shy guy might not make a move even if he is interested.

I'm really sorry that his happened to you .

And I understand the temptation, believe me, to think that the solution is to make the guy pursue you, to show he is really into you.

But that doesn't address the real problem. The real problem is that the guy you were dating has no integrity. It doesn't matter what you do -- plenty of guys without integrity will spend ridiculous amounts of time and effort chasing a woman just because they like the challenge.

The real solution is to find a more direct way to assess a man's ethics, and to find the men who won't do something hurtful because they are not interested in hurting people.

I think we should talk about how to do that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2014, 09:53 PM

42,763 posts, read 52,880,668 times
If I'm interested in a guy and we click I give my #.I also have a business card that I give out if they ever want to reach me.

Old 04-03-2014, 10:03 PM

4,523 posts, read 3,408,576 times
If I knew for a fact that she was interested in me, and I reciprocated that interest, then of course I'd ask for her number.

Old 04-03-2014, 10:09 PM

663 posts, read 778,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raena77 View Post
If I'm interested in a guy and we click I give my #.I also have a business card that I give out if they ever want to reach me.
lol wtf. A woman gives me her business card, I discard it immediately.

Old 04-03-2014, 10:11 PM

663 posts, read 778,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NilaJones View Post
I would hate to live in a world where I could never talk to strangers without them thinking think it was tacit agreement to date them!
Exactly.

Just because a woman approaches you doesn't mean she wants to date you. OP's definition of approach is out of wack.

Old 04-03-2014, 10:14 PM

2,087 posts, read 2,850,562 times
Quote:

So tell me, if it were you and a woman walked up to you, smiled, flirted and initiated a conversation with you and showed interest in you; and you in turn found her to be attractive and you were interested in her, would you ask for her number?

EDIT: Sorry, typo in the poll question AND it got cut off. And I can't seem to edit/fix it. And a typo in the subject line. Ugh. Time for afternoon tea! Hopefully you get the idea.
That never happens though. And I mean never.

What might happen is that I go to a mixer and some woman might come up and introduce herself, but she is obviously just wanting small talk because after a while, she is looking around for somebody better to talk to. Another thing that happens is that I end up talking to somebody and then it happens they have a boyfriend or husband.

I will use almost any opening to ask for a woman's number. So, more realistically, if I approach a woman during a mixer, and she seems at least to be having some kind of a good time during our conversation, I'll escalate and ask.

But to answer your question, if a woman approached me, it'd be a no brainer.

Old 04-03-2014, 10:33 PM

5,134 posts, read 4,488,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burgler09 View Post
I think a decent gesture would be to offer the guy your phone number.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 49ersfan27 View Post
I could ask her for her number. But who knows if it is real or not. A woman could talk to me but that doesn't mean she likes me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hivemind31 View Post
I'd date a "2" that asked me out over a "7" that was talking with me and waiting for me to ask her.
Quote:
Originally Posted by techcrium View Post
A woman gives me her business card, I discard it immediately.
So many men in this forum are always complaining about being dateless, and resent having to approach women. Yet when a woman approaches you, you can't even take it to the next level and ask for her phone number? Unbelievable.

If the woman is attractive to you, and she takes the initiative to talk to you, but you can't take the next step, it seems like you're looking for excuses to not date. So stop coming here to complain when you're the ones shooting yourselves in the foot.

Old 04-03-2014, 10:45 PM

2,758 posts, read 4,960,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJS99 View Post
That never happens though. And I mean never.

What might happen is that I go to a mixer and some woman might come up and introduce herself, but she is obviously just wanting small talk because after a while, she is looking around for somebody better to talk to. Another thing that happens is that I end up talking to somebody and then it happens they have a boyfriend or husband.

I will use almost any opening to ask for a woman's number. So, more realistically, if I approach a woman during a mixer, and she seems at least to be having some kind of a good time during our conversation, I'll escalate and ask.

But to answer your question, if a woman approached me, it'd be a no brainer.
Oh it happens. To certain guys. In fact, it happens to certain guys A LOT. Maybe he is teh hottest guy in teh room. Maybe he is in a band. Maybe he is, you get the idea.

Either way, I have seeen these guys not even try, and women pursue them. It's an interesting dynamic.

Old 04-03-2014, 10:50 PM

2,758 posts, read 4,960,716 times
Quote:
Thanks for the answers so far! They are interesting to read and it's nice to get some insight.

The big issue I have with having to initial everything from breaking the ice to asking out is that I did do this during my last relationship. I broke the ice, made the first moves, made the dates, came on to him, and initiated our first sexual encounter... and I ended up being really into the guy too, but it turned out he wasn't all that into me. I was a "fun distraction" and he kind of went along with it because he had no other prospects. I ended up wasting several months on him and am still trying to "Get over" him.

So after being burned (in that respect) I am even more on guard. I don't want to risk wasting months of time on another fickle man. It would be nicer if men would just reject upfront instead going along with everything for the distraction. It's the difference between yanking off a bandaid and slowly pulling one off forever. But that doesn't seem to happen. Hence the conundrum for me (and I think other women as well) I want men who are really interested in me to make a move too... but so many of you pointed out a shy guy might not make a move even if he is interested.
What you explained here is just about what most guys go through.
Not to say women don't reciprocate after being pursued, but you kind of did a role flip here.
You were aggressive, pursued a guy, and went out of your way to show interest in him.

Unless a guy is really hot, or really something, what you explained here is what many guys will go through probably 50 to 100.

I think it is great you were willing to extend your self there. BBUt dealing with fickle people is part of dating. Just choose a better guy to extend yourself to next time.

Old 04-03-2014, 10:51 PM

8,011 posts, read 8,212,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sage 80 View Post
So many men in this forum are always complaining about being dateless, and resent having to approach women. Yet when a woman approaches you, you can't even take it to the next level and ask for her phone number? Unbelievable.

If the woman is attractive to you, and she takes the initiative to talk to you, but you can't take the next step, it seems like you're looking for excuses to not date. So stop coming here to complain when you're the ones shooting yourselves in the foot.
Calm down honey. Have you ever initiated a conversation with a guy before just for the sake of talking to someone without thinking about dating them. Lots of women do. Some people are naturally chatty.

You can't win. If you take every women who ever initiates contact with you as a sign of interest then you are labeled a desperate loser. If you take every situation like this as a sign of someone being friendly then you are still labeled a loser.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships