Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: If a woman appraoches you and shows interest in you... and you are interested in her... do you ask f
yes 13 76.47%
no 4 23.53%
Voters: 17. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2014, 04:22 PM

17,869 posts, read 21,012,037 times

Advertisements

The odds of this situation actually happening to me in this lifetime is about the same as seeing a unicorn flying over a rainbow pooping mini starburst candies on everyone as it gallops.

Oh, and I would assume that someone gave me LSD, since that's the only way I can imagine this happening.

What would I do? Wake up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2014, 04:23 PM

257 posts, read 713,849 times
If an unfamiliar woman initiates a conversation with me at random, I would likely only ask for her number if two conditions were met. One, I felt at least moderately attracted to her, and two, she made it blatantly obvious somehow that this conversation wasn't just started to be friendly chit-chat. If only condition one is met, or neither, I'm erring on the side of politeness and assuming she's just filling time with friendly chit-chat.

Old 04-03-2014, 04:24 PM

4,613 posts, read 4,799,165 times
Sometimes yes, others no. Gun to my head, I'll say "no"....there are too many women out there that make small talk, even flirt just for the attention, but with no true interest whatsoever.

That said, I would go on at least one date with literally ANY woman that asked me. I respect that kind of moxie Yes, I'd date a "2" that asked me out over a "7" that was talking with me and waiting for me to ask her. Those kind of "7's" are eveywhere, but those 2's are rare.

Old 04-03-2014, 04:33 PM

10,216 posts, read 8,314,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by techcrium View Post
Exactly. The women here on the board thinks that if she talks to a guy, she basically approached him.

Well, I must have approached 10 cashiers, 10 fitness instructors, 15 sales people, 50 coworkers, 20 friends, and like 30 strangers this month.
A woman can talk to a guy all she wants. That is not enough to demonstrate interest. At least in my case. Many women flirt but they do it for an ego boost.

Old 04-03-2014, 05:09 PM

5,121 posts, read 6,809,158 times
Thanks for the answers so far! They are interesting to read and it's nice to get some insight.

The big issue I have with having to initial everything from breaking the ice to asking out is that I did do this during my last relationship. I broke the ice, made the first moves, made the dates, came on to him, and initiated our first sexual encounter... and I ended up being really into the guy too, but it turned out he wasn't all that into me. I was a "fun distraction" and he kind of went along with it because he had no other prospects. I ended up wasting several months on him and am still trying to "Get over" him.

So after being burned (in that respect) I am even more on guard. I don't want to risk wasting months of time on another fickle man. It would be nicer if men would just reject upfront instead going along with everything for the distraction. It's the difference between yanking off a bandaid and slowly pulling one off forever. But that doesn't seem to happen. Hence the conundrum for me (and I think other women as well) I want men who are really interested in me to make a move too... but so many of you pointed out a shy guy might not make a move even if he is interested.

Old 04-03-2014, 05:17 PM

1,340 posts, read 1,629,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jillabean View Post
I am having the same off topic discussion in two threads, so I figured I would just start a new one about the sub topic.

In the other threads, I talk about how I will approach a man, smile, flirt, engage in conversation, etc... but I won't ask his number (or other contact information). I leave that to him.

My outlook on it is most men I've met are very nice and friendly. They don't say "go away" if they aren't interested in me. They stay polite and chit chat. So the only way I have to know if a man is interested or not in me is whether or not he meets me halfway and takes that step and asks me my number.

The way I see it, if a man is not at all interested in me or on the fence and doesn't think I am worth 'the risk', then he's not going to ask. But if a man is really interested in me, finds me attractive, he's not going to just let me walk away without trying.

Now, the conversation in the other threads are that I should also ask for his number because a man won't ask (even if I did make the approach and even if he is interested). That seems counter-intuitive to me, but who knows, I could be wrong.

So tell me, if it were you and a woman walked up to you, smiled, flirted and initiated a conversation with you and showed interest in you; and you in turn found her to be attractive and you were interested in her, would you ask for her number?

EDIT: Sorry, typo in the poll question AND it got cut off. And I can't seem to edit/fix it. And a typo in the subject line. Ugh. Time for afternoon tea! Hopefully you get the idea.
If you're interested, ask the number (or any other way that you want, to keep in touch) before parting ways and to have a way to arrange a date some other day. I tend to do that and would do that regardless of who started the communication, if I'm really interested.
Just try to avoid awkward/miserable/silly stuff, I've seen some truly silly attempts that I just had to laugh how "silly" it was, to say the least.

Old 04-03-2014, 05:19 PM

41,936 posts, read 37,012,374 times
Depends on too many factors. How did the convo go? I might ask hers, might offer mine, might do none of the above. There is no one answer as no to interactions are identical.

Old 04-03-2014, 05:34 PM

7,454 posts, read 13,435,251 times
It all depends on one thing only for me. Whether I'm into her or not. Those that have approached me or hit on me that I'm into are in the minority.

Old 04-03-2014, 05:40 PM

21,192 posts, read 25,188,694 times
Quote:
I just went to a fitness class and the instructor approached me afterwards asking if I've done it before. Then we had a small talk. Does that mean she is interested?

Nope. Am I going to ask for her number. Definitely not.

She was 45 and I am 25.

I attended contractors meet and greet and everyone introduced themselves including the few women. Am I to assume they are interested simply because they talked to me and everyone else there?

Am I going to ask for her number? Definitely not.

lol just because a woman talks to you doesn't mean she is interested.
Quote:
Exactly. The women here on the board thinks that if she talks to a guy, she basically approached him.

Well, I must have approached 10 cashiers, 10 fitness instructors, 15 sales people, 50 coworkers, 20 friends, and like 30 strangers this month.
Yes - but how many of those women are you interested in dating? If you aren't interested in dating any of them - of course you aren't going to ask for their number. But if a woman started talking to you and you found yourself attracted to her and interested in her - would you ask for her number or just let her go?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hivemind31 View Post
Sometimes yes, others no. Gun to my head, I'll say "no"....there are too many women out there that make small talk, even flirt just for the attention, but with no true interest whatsoever.

That said, I would go on at least one date with literally ANY woman that asked me. I respect that kind of moxie Yes, I'd date a "2" that asked me out over a "7" that was talking with me and waiting for me to ask her. Those kind of "7's" are eveywhere, but those 2's are rare.
As much as I hate using the rating system because I find it degrading, what if a "9" started talking and flirting with you - and you wanted to go out with her. Would you ask for her number?

Old 04-03-2014, 08:50 PM

6,732 posts, read 10,003,139 times
I would hate to live in a world where I could never talk to strangers without them thinking think it was tacit agreement to date them!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships