Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2014, 10:25 PM

173 posts, read 155,391 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
If you speak English, French, or Spanish, I got it. But you do appear to have a problem reading English.
Not at all. English is a language I have grasped well. Kudos for being fluent in other languages. Do you want a gold star?

OP asked about an encounter between friends. The more common term for this arrangement in 2014 is hookup instead of a one night stand that was labeled such decades ago as you pointed out.
One night stand is now more often referred to amongst strangers encounters.

I was simply agreeing with another poster that I agreed the terminology was not something I would use and why. I'm sorry you've taken it upon yourself to prove me wrong through use of Wikipedia but I truly wish you the best of luck with that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2014, 10:28 PM

52,305 posts, read 52,748,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nurseygrl View Post
Not at all. English I got.

OP asked about an encounter between friends. The more common term for this arrangement in 2014 is hookup instead of a one night stand that was labeled such decades ago as you pointed out.
One night stand is now more often referred to amongst strangers encounters.

I was simply agreeing with another poster that I agreed the terminology was not something I would use and why. I'm sorry you've taken it upon yourself to prove me wrong through use of Wikipedia but I truly wish you the best of luck with that.
Who gives a flying F about the specifics of the terminology.... jeezus we're not in a courtroom before a judge......

Damn... what a way to bog down a friggin thread with petty BS......

Old 05-04-2014, 10:31 PM

173 posts, read 155,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
Who gives a flying F about the specifics of the terminology.... jeezus we're not in a courtroom before a judge......

Damn... what a way to bog down a friggin thread with petty BS......
I'm not sure what got her feathers ruffled when I wasn't even responding to her. Please carry on!

Old 05-04-2014, 10:34 PM

37,627 posts, read 46,045,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nurseygrl View Post
I'm not sure what got her feathers ruffled when I wasn't even responding to her. Please carry on!
No feathers ruffled. You misunderstood my post, twice. I was hoping to clarify it for you. I give up.

Old 05-04-2014, 10:34 PM

943 posts, read 1,199,325 times
Women who have one night stands, in my honest opinion, are dirty disgusting whores which need to learn better.

Old 05-04-2014, 10:37 PM

52,305 posts, read 52,748,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anonymous725 View Post
Women who have one night stands, in my honest opinion, are dirty disgusting whores which need to learn better.
Let's not hold back... tell us how you really feel... not sure I quite understand you.....

Old 05-04-2014, 10:39 PM

14,767 posts, read 17,125,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anonymous725 View Post
Grow up.

Old 05-04-2014, 10:57 PM

4,098 posts, read 7,110,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by srjth View Post
How would you feel if a woman you already knew let you know that she wanted to have sex with you one time but didn't want to continue to be friends with you or talk to you afterwards again?
I'm no longer dating, but if I were I'd have to say no to one night stands. I had the very thing you mentioned in this post happen to me with a friend back when I was about 42 years old. I had know the woman for quite sometime and had visited her in her home on many occasions, simply having a cup of coffee. On the very first date we were on, we had dinner and when I took her home she asked me to spend the night and I told her I couldn't because I needed to tell my son where I was and there was no way I could get in touch with him. She tried not to let her anger show, but she would never go out with me again, she never invited me back for coffee either. I had another friend come right out and ask me why didn't I ask her to spend the night, rather than giving her a glass of wine and then allowing her to walk out the door and go home. One night stands were just not something I wanted...

Old 05-05-2014, 06:51 AM

1,340 posts, read 1,629,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
Not at all. A one night stand is simply that. ONE NIGHT with no implied future sexual involvement. Has nothing to do with whether or not the two people have ever met before.

From wikipedia:
A one-night stand is a single sexual encounter with no implication of further relations between sexual participants. This is regardless of whether a one-night stand was originally intended by either participant to be a one-night stand, or whether further relations between the participants subsequently arise.
I'm sorry but you are wrong about ONS is to a general audience.
Wikipedia's definition obviously "forgot" to clarify certain things and it's very ambiguous. It didn't mention that you avoid "any relationship", not just long-term sexual relationship. It didn't mention that people generally have very vague knowledge about each other at best, usually just a name which they'll forget within a few days, a name which may be fake.
Your reasoning is nothing new, I've seen people telling they had several one-night stands with the same person and they explain that it happen over the course of many years. Some TV show might use such terminology but that's not what most people regard as one-night stand.... although it's hard to speak about "definitions" of something that's generally a common folk's slang.

Here's the definition of one-night stand by common folks and what's generally accepted as such:
Urban Dictionary: one night stand

You'll hopefully never see each other or know much about each other, but that's not a guarantee, since they might know your friends and you might meet them again, they may actively pursue to meet you or get to know you... but you originally didn't plan to have any relationship with them and you had vague knowledge about them in first place.
Being friends with someone, knowing where they live, what their full name is and who their brothers/sisters/cousins are, meeting with them and their friends on a regular basis, knowing where they work... when you have all that info and then you arrange a night out (which potentially leads to sex)... that's a hookup. One-night stand is a hookup as well, but the reverse isn't necessarily true, just like "relationship" doesn't have to involve sexual relationship.
Relative (or complete) strangers usually spend a few dates to get to know each other before they hook up, they avoid one-night stands. Friends can't have a one-night stand by a general definition and nobody can have repeated one-night-stands, regardless how much time have passed between each of their encounters.

Old 05-05-2014, 07:27 AM

5,347 posts, read 7,204,454 times
Most men are perfectly fine with being "pumped and dumped"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships