Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-07-2014, 03:04 PM

4,380 posts, read 4,452,721 times

Advertisements

I will say this about the site: it is allowing me to more fine tune what it is I'm looking for. For example, I read one yesterday that seemed like someone I would send a message to until I got to the question where he said he has no desire to see the world. A partner I can travel with is huge for me.

I can understand where some of the cliches come from too. I was chatting with someone who would have been long distance and had already said he has no problems moving for the right woman. His profile also says he doesn't really have any hobbies. I got to thinking about what it would be like to date someone who just moved here, doesn't know anyone other than me and has no hobbies of their own. I do enough "cruise directing" organizing Meetup events. I need a partner with a life outside of just me. I need a partner who can say "You have bunco on Wednesday, right? Because Fred and I were talking about checking out that new movie you have no desire to see."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2014, 05:35 PM

41,936 posts, read 36,989,150 times
No hobbies is a scary flag, for certain. Often just one hobby scares me too.

Old 06-07-2014, 05:59 PM

12 posts, read 24,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by k374 View Post
Have you:

Got responses to your messages?
Got messages that turned into actual dates?
Dates turned into actual relationships?
Relationships turned into marriage?

I hear in the online dating world there is a lot of serial dating as people have so much choice they are always of the mindset that there is something better out there, this is especially true for women who get inundated with replies. Do you think there is any truth to this?
OK cupid has been pretty bad for me. The issue I seem to be having is I must be a "polarizing" person and although some attractive women really like me enough women don't that ok cupid has decided I'm ugly and is constantly trying to match me up with ugly women. Its annoying and have to let my average rise every once in a while by staying offline and let my profile collect a lot of likes before it will show me women I'm attracted to again. With that in mind POF is a better website because it doesn't care if you have a 90% failure rate and I can be in control of my matches.

To your other questions:

Got responses to your messages? About 10-20% on POF when I'm here in NYC and its worse everywhere else. Probably closer to 10% on OKC.

Got messages that turned into actual dates? Some on POF never on OKC

Dates turned into actual relationships? Not yet but I've only been in this for a few months

Relationships turned into marriage? LOL hopefully not for another 10 years

As to the nature of online dating it seems to me that it favors women because there are so many more men than women that they can afford to be pickier and downright nasty and still get dates with men that are pretty decent for them. If an average woman wanted she could go on a date every night of the week with a normal enough guy. At the end of the day that's the beast you're dealing with.

Old 06-07-2014, 08:03 PM

14,078 posts, read 16,618,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
No hobbies is a scary flag, for certain. Often just one hobby scares me too.
I just don't like the word "hobbies." We all like to do things. It doesn't mean that we consider them hobbies.

Old 06-07-2014, 08:11 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,599,905 times
Yeah, I think "interests" is a better way of putting it than "hobbies."

Old 06-07-2014, 08:18 PM

14,078 posts, read 16,618,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
Yeah, I think "interests" is a better way of putting it than "hobbies."
I like that word better, but still, a lot of my "interests" are private and I don't necessarily want to share them with other people, but I also don't want people assuming that I don't have any interests just because I don't want to talk about them. lol

Old 06-07-2014, 08:20 PM

1,514 posts, read 2,121,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet Like Sugar View Post
I like that word better, but still, a lot of my "interests" are private and I don't necessarily want to share them with other people, but I also don't want people assuming that I don't have any interests just because I don't want to talk about them. lol
Agreed.

Old 06-08-2014, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by k374 View Post
Have you:

Got responses to your messages?
Got messages that turned into actual dates?
Dates turned into actual relationships?
Relationships turned into marriage?

I hear in the online dating world there is a lot of serial dating as people have so much choice they are always of the mindset that there is something better out there, this is especially true for women who get inundated with replies. Do you think there is any truth to this?
Getting back to the original post, I have sent messages to 5 men.

1) Only from 1. The other 4 never even checked out my profile.
2) No.
3) & 4) N/A due to #2 being no.

Old 06-08-2014, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ottawa2011 View Post
I guess I just need to be more persistent and patient. One specific complaint I could make about the OK Cupid "matching" system is that most guys hardly fill out any of the matching questions... so they don't give out a lot of info about themselves, and the "system" doesn't make matches as well as it could. It's better than nothing though. I think if people filled out more questions it'd be a great filtering system.
The questions do come in handy for mentioning potential deal breakers or issues in responses to messages:

Question: "Do you believe homosexuality is a sin?" Him: Yes, Me: No.

Him (initial message): "hello what are you up to today?"
Me: "I'm waiting for my friend and her wife to finish grooming my dogs so we can go have lunch."

It was either that, which really is what I was doing, or "Wondering if there are any men over the age of 30 on this site who can write a grammatically correct sentence."

Old 06-08-2014, 09:01 PM

432 posts, read 491,951 times
^
Like I've said before, I think many people SAY they are tired of everyone being the same, boring archetype... but in practice, they don't actually want anything to do with people are actually different than said monotony. Case in point: My 'stupid' haircut.

Humans, Americans in particular, are encouraged and rewarded for being dull and cliché... therefore online dating profiles are the way they are.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships