Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-11-2014, 10:03 AM

41,936 posts, read 36,989,150 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by k374 View Post
This is a rather odd question but i'm putting it out there.. i'm a non-smoker, I am also allergic to cigarette smoke..it gives me a migraine. I saw this girl on OKC, very interesting profile and very attractive and we messaged a bit and I got her # but I have not called her yet. The only problem is that under Smoker it says "Trying to quit" which is kind of turning me off.

I definitely don't date smokers but should I give the "trying to quit" a chance? or is it just not worth it to get into the whole thing?

Not worth it if you are actually allergic as opposed to just hate it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2014, 10:25 AM

12,535 posts, read 15,207,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NWGirl74 View Post
I got a joke message on OKC yesterday from a friend asking if there was anyone good on the site. I told him that I hadn't checked out the competition but if the others are anything like me, his use of a proper sentence would score him major points.
This inspired me to check out the competition.

Wow, so few women with green bars under their photos to indicate that they respond often. Most are yellow or orange. Now I kind of feel bad for the guys. This makes their short messages a little more understandable. Still, they would have better luck if they at least didn't use "u" as a word.

Old 06-11-2014, 10:30 AM

8,711 posts, read 11,736,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
Not worth it if you are actually allergic as opposed to just hate it.

I agree with this, unless it said 'recently quit' or something along those lines. But we smokers 'try to quit' all the time and it usually doesn't work, until it does.

Old 06-11-2014, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilac110 View Post

Wow, so few women with green bars under their photos to indicate that they respond often. Most are yellow or orange. Now I kind of feel bad for the guys. This makes their short messages a little more understandable. Still, they would have better luck if they at least didn't use "u" as a word.

I really don't think that tells you much. If you see the time of short, idiotic, messages my friends get... I wouldn't respond to them either. They're obviously done without real thought, or done after drinking, or for people that didn't read their profiles (or all of the above). Some of my friends have "rarely replies" when they reply to almost every decent serious message, but the vast majority of the messages they get aren't decent or serious.

Old 06-11-2014, 10:41 AM

4,380 posts, read 4,452,721 times
Quote:

Using my ideal criteria, I checked out the competition too. 45 women: 17 green, 18 red and 10 yellow.

Old 06-11-2014, 10:43 AM

12,535 posts, read 15,207,787 times
Quote:
I really don't think that tells you much. If you see the time of short, idiotic, messages my friends get... I wouldn't respond to them either. They're obviously done without real thought, or done after drinking, or for people that didn't read their profiles (or all of the above). Some of my friends have "rarely replies" when they reply to almost every decent serious message, but the vast majority of the messages they get aren't decent or serious.
Huh. Well, I'd say 95% of the guys where I live are green bars. Then again, 95% of the messages I get from locals are "how r u?" so maybe when idiot women write to them, they see it as kismet.

Quote:
Using my ideal criteria, I checked out the competition too. 45 women: 17 green, 18 red and 10 yellow.
I'm half-inclined to ask one of the fellows I'm talking to what mine is. I'm guessing yellow. My ex-hub once said I was "hard to get," but then again, I do take the time to thank the ones who put effort in even if I don't feel a match, so that boosts my outgoing rate.

Old 06-11-2014, 10:54 AM

Ok, I did within 5 miles of my apartment, bachelors or above, +/- 5 years of age, non smoking, single, online past month and there were 356 matches.

Quote:
Huh. Well, I'd say 95% of the guys where I live are green bars. Then again, 95% of the messages I get from locals are "how r u?" so maybe when idiot women write to them, they see it as kismet.

Well yes, but women don't send the idiotic messages that guys send to women. Women don't, in general, play the numbers game and message hundreds of women like dopey dudes do.

Old 06-11-2014, 11:01 AM

4,380 posts, read 4,452,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doll Eyes View Post
I agree with this, unless it said 'recently quit' or something along those lines. But we smokers 'try to quit' all the time and it usually doesn't work, until it does.
My late hubby tried quitting several times over the 8 years we were together. He always used to say one way or another, he'd quit smoking when he had his first heart attack. Not only did he quit smoking, he quit living. (Would've been 48 today, which I'm sure is part of the reason for my being in a bad mood).

Quote:

I'm half-inclined to ask one of the fellows I'm talking to what mine is. I'm guessing yellow. My ex-hub once said I was "hard to get," but then again, I do take the time to thank the ones who put effort in even if I don't feel a match, so that boosts my outgoing rate.
I'm guessing mine is green or yellow. I've only been on the site for 1.5 months and responded to everything at first specifically to get the green bar. I find when I do look at profiles, those with the green bars seem more approachable and I wanted to be approachable.

Quote:
Ok, I did within 5 miles of my apartment, bachelors or above, +/- 5 years of age, non smoking, single, online past month and there were 356 matches.
Purely out of curiosity, if you change it to online past week, how much of a difference does that make? I wish there was a 2 week option. I figure anything beyond that, they likely aren't currently active because they either met someone or are taking a break.

Old 06-11-2014, 11:10 AM

Quote:

Purely out of curiosity, if you change it to online past week, how much of a difference does that make? I wish there was a 2 week option. I figure anything beyond that, they likely aren't currently active because they either met someone or are taking a break.

Which is fairly remarkable consistent, I thought it would cut it in half

But it is springtime

Old 06-11-2014, 11:15 AM

4,613 posts, read 4,797,211 times
Quote:
Well yes, but women don't send the idiotic messages that guys send to women..
I'd say they're less "offensive", but no less idiotic in my experience. They just message less often, so it might feel that way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships