Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2014, 07:54 PM

432 posts, read 491,951 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoonBeam33 View Post
No, no that's not the consensus.

We're not feeding the trolls, we're telling them to **** off and then blocking and reporting them. They are wasting OUR time, not the other way around.
You clearly don't understand the nature of trolling. Engaging them, positively or negatively (they prefer the latter, actually, as they're generally borderline, or outright, sociopathic) IS feeding them. Read up on the phenomenon, for crissakes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2014, 07:55 PM

4,751 posts, read 5,442,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by variant View Post
You clearly don't understand the nature of trolling. Engaging them, positively or negatively (they prefer the latter, actually, as they're generally borderline, or outright, sociopathic) IS feeding them. Read up on the phenomenon, for crissakes.
No need to be rude. The vast majority of those men get no response at all.

Old 06-13-2014, 07:56 PM

432 posts, read 491,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoonBeam33 View Post
No need to be rude. The vast majority of those men get no response at all.
Based on what empirical data?

Old 06-13-2014, 08:19 PM

2,590 posts, read 4,533,476 times
I deleted my OKC profile a while back. I started traveling too much and I never used it that much anyway. I also noticed that my "matches" were starting to scrape the bottom of the barrel (not to be mean but I have a good idea of what I can pull). I got a few dates off it when I had a profile but I just never put much effort into it. Very few profiles really intrigued me and I found myself being a little to quick to dismiss someone for something trivial. I had above a .300 avg as far as responses which I suppose is actually pretty good and I occasionally received messages from women but most were below average.

I know it sounds shallow but I can go to Wal Mart to pick up unattractive women. I don't need a dating site for that.

Old 06-13-2014, 08:32 PM

7,400 posts, read 6,373,565 times
My husband said he received about three messages a week, on average. The guy I was with before, whom I also met on OKC, dated/went out with a few women he met on Match and OKC. He had "good luck" then, but after we broke up he hated it. Said he wasn't getting any interest from the women he was interested in.

Old 06-17-2014, 03:48 PM

4,380 posts, read 4,452,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metaphysique View Post
My husband said he received about three messages a week, on average.
I have plans to meet someone tomorrow from OKC who I emailed first. This is the first time in 3 stints on OKC over the last few years that I'm actually meeting someone. Nothing in his profile jumped out as a red flag, though it would be nice if he had a picture that was more recent than 5 years old for the purpose of being sure to recognize him if it's crowded.

Old 06-17-2014, 06:18 PM

14,078 posts, read 16,618,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NWGirl74 View Post
I have plans to meet someone tomorrow from OKC who I emailed first. This is the first time in 3 stints on OKC over the last few years that I'm actually meeting someone. Nothing in his profile jumped out as a red flag, though it would be nice if he had a picture that was more recent than 5 years old for the purpose of being sure to recognize him if it's crowded.
Yeah, that's not great, but good luck tomorrow!

Old 06-18-2014, 10:56 PM

4,380 posts, read 4,452,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet Like Sugar View Post
Yeah, that's not great, but good luck tomorrow!
His pictures being 5 years old didn't make a difference. He was still recognizable and may actually be more attractive now than he was then. However, he is shorter than me and that's a bit of a turnoff as I'd prefer a man who is taller than I am. (I'm 5'4").

It went okay, I guess. I was feeling ambivalent about it earlier today and I'm still feeling that way now that it's over.

Old 06-18-2014, 11:17 PM

14,078 posts, read 16,618,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NWGirl74 View Post
His pictures being 5 years old didn't make a difference. He was still recognizable and may actually be more attractive now than he was then. However, he is shorter than me and that's a bit of a turnoff as I'd prefer a man who is taller than I am. (I'm 5'4").

It went okay, I guess. I was feeling ambivalent about it earlier today and I'm still feeling that way now that it's over.
Well, I'm glad to hear it wasn't a disaster!

Old 06-20-2014, 12:53 AM

688 posts, read 897,743 times
From a guy:

Got responses to your messages? No.
Got messages that turned into actual dates? Yes, one.
Dates turned into actual relationships? Yes, one.
Relationships turned into marriage? Yes.

I sent out a few, articulate messages, nothing of the "HEY U FINE" sort and never got a response. Though I did receive a few messages from other women that I did reply to, but weren't really interested.

One day, a woman who I was highly compatible with (according to their matching system) messaged me and after a week or so, we started dating. About a month later, it was exclusive and a year and a half later, we were married.

It's been a great relationship from day one. Even though we don't really share a whole lot with regards to our hobbies and such, our personalities match like no other. She's like a best friend that it's okay to be in love with.

My advice: Don't wait for that perfect person, because there really is no such thing. It's okay to have certain demands that must be met for a partner, but I don't suggest putting every little detail on the list. There are things you can compromise with and still be happy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships