Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2014, 06:13 PM

1,242 posts, read 1,690,327 times

Advertisements

Been married 14 years, alone time is important to both of us and a perfectly natural desire.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2014, 08:00 PM

29 posts, read 41,405 times
I don't think there's anything wrong with needing alone time--I think it's a good thing. I did know a girl once, though, who couldn't stand the house to be quiet--she had to leave each day, too, even when she wasn't working, just to get out. She NEEDED people and activity or she went crazy; she was the exact opposite of me.

If you're considering marriage, just make sure your guy knows how you really need your downtime, and figure out how you can handle it.

Married 25 yrs here. I NEED quiet time. I'm a writer and work from home, so I usually have the whole day "alone", but last year hubby changed positions in his job and worked from home, and I thought I'd pull my hair out (he's since back at an office--thank goodness!). He can't be quiet, and the TV always has to be on. When we relocated several years ago, people wondered why we didn't downsize, given we were getting older, but we'd already learned that we each need a lot of space. Still, when he's home full-time, I know he's here, so the house really isn't big enough--ha. He used to travel a good bit with his job, and I miss the more regular business trips--I LOVE having a few days to string together where I know I don't have to worry about dinner, etc. I'm perfectly happy with peanut butter sandwiches or popcorn for dinner. A trip longer than a week, though, and I'm feeling lonely, and I'm very glad to see him.

So, I guess for me, it's not so much being "alone" as it is having "quiet time". I just don't like a lot of noise. Maybe growing up like an only child (my siblings were all grown and out of the house by the time I was 4) has something to do with it. I remember my mom looking forward to my dad going to deer camp in the fall. The ONLY time Daddy was ever away from home overnight.

Old 06-16-2014, 08:22 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,593,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire and Ice View Post
I'm a guy and I can say this, I definitely need it. Funny thing is that I am an extrovert, but if I am around the same person too long then I need a break every once in a while.
For me, it has nothing to do with the person (or people), just a need for space and quiet and doing my own thing. It's not the people, specifically, that I need a break from. It's just being around other people, in general.

Old 06-18-2014, 07:15 AM

114 posts, read 153,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaggiePie View Post
I don't think there's anything wrong with needing alone time--I think it's a good thing. I did know a girl once, though, who couldn't stand the house to be quiet--she had to leave each day, too, even when she wasn't working, just to get out. She NEEDED people and activity or she went crazy; she was the exact opposite of me.

If you're considering marriage, just make sure your guy knows how you really need your downtime, and figure out how you can handle it.

Married 25 yrs here. I NEED quiet time. I'm a writer and work from home, so I usually have the whole day "alone", but last year hubby changed positions in his job and worked from home, and I thought I'd pull my hair out (he's since back at an office--thank goodness!). He can't be quiet, and the TV always has to be on. When we relocated several years ago, people wondered why we didn't downsize, given we were getting older, but we'd already learned that we each need a lot of space. Still, when he's home full-time, I know he's here, so the house really isn't big enough--ha. He used to travel a good bit with his job, and I miss the more regular business trips--I LOVE having a few days to string together where I know I don't have to worry about dinner, etc. I'm perfectly happy with peanut butter sandwiches or popcorn for dinner. A trip longer than a week, though, and I'm feeling lonely, and I'm very glad to see him.

So, I guess for me, it's not so much being "alone" as it is having "quiet time". I just don't like a lot of noise. Maybe growing up like an only child (my siblings were all grown and out of the house by the time I was 4) has something to do with it. I remember my mom looking forward to my dad going to deer camp in the fall. The ONLY time Daddy was ever away from home overnight.
Thank you, Maggie!.... and everyone else. My boyfriend is the cutest thing since sliced bread. I love being with him, but it's nice to wander around his apartment alone and do the silly stuff that I like to do... like mess with my hair, watch girly stuff on the internet or scrub the bathtub. He always asks if I need help doing the dishes. I always decline, because I use that time to be alone with my thoughts. I think he's the same way when he's cooking. I can see his little wheels turning, so I don't bother him while he's cooking.

Old 06-19-2014, 06:38 PM

22,339 posts, read 29,445,455 times
Nothing wrong with it at all. It's healthy. You can't be attached to someone 24/7.

Old 06-19-2014, 06:46 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,593,150 times
For us, even when we're physically together, we have our time that we're doing our own thing quietly. Usually reading. We have a ritual of going to the beach early each Saturday a.m. Usually bring a thermos of coffee and pack some breakfast. We spread out a blanket and hang out and read for a few hours, sipping coffee on a secluded strip of sand. Being able to be quiet together is an important thing.

Old 06-19-2014, 06:47 PM

6,486 posts, read 6,390,223 times
From my own perspective:

Don't worry in the slightest about what he's going to think/feel about you spending time alone. If you were spending this time with other people, it might make him feel insecure. But I think he will see your alone time as just that, so long as you guys are getting along fine when you are together (which of course should be most of the time, yes). Guys don't typically get worried/paranoid about their women spending time away from them, unless it seems there are other people (especially other guys) spending it with them.

I am speaking from my own perspective and experience. I make no promise that my opinion is truly representative of most men.

Old 06-19-2014, 07:06 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,544,925 times
My wife and I have alone time. She sometimes goes to visit relatives for a weekend I stay home. Sometimes I go hunting or fishing or go work on my trucks or get immersed in a book. It's ok. You don't need to be glued to your SO

Old 06-19-2014, 07:08 PM

5,624 posts, read 6,846,119 times
Yes i enjoy alone time without my husband or kids. Even a 10 minute shower can feel like a miracle some days!

Just because youre married doesnt mean you have to spend 24/7 with them!

Old 06-20-2014, 02:40 AM

3,636 posts, read 3,426,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoopSeeker View Post
If you are a married woman, do you enjoy spending time alone even though you love your man dearly?
Entirely natural. Many people would get something akin to cabin fever if they were in each others pockets all the time.

Of course there are people at the other end of that spectrum who spend all their time together - at home and even at work - and they are ok with it. But I find myself hard pushed to imagine them even being close ao a majority.

In my own relationship we have our lives together but we have a seperate one too. Some friends over lap. Some do not. Some hobbies do. Some do not. A lot of our times does. But a lot does not.

We even have seperate bedrooms. Sure most nights they are in mine - or I am in one of theirs - but often there are nights too when one of us just wants to be able to go to our room and close the door and just - be.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1986pacecar View Post
That wasn't my point. If you look at her original post she used the word "love" to describe her alone time
So what? I love mine too and see no issue with that at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1986pacecar View Post
nothing resembling that describing her relationship.
Are we reading a different OP? She painted her relationship in a very positive light in my reading of it. You appear to be reading what you want to read and ignoring the rest.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic 2.0 View Post
Guys don't typically get worried/paranoid about their women spending time away from them, unless it seems there are other people (especially other guys) spending it with them.
And thankfully - in my own experience at least - guys don't typically get worried about their partner(s) spending time away from them WITH other people either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships