Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2014, 06:18 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,384,306 times

Advertisements

Everyone should have alone time. It is required for sanity.

That being said, I know I am with the right person when their constant presence does not bother me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2014, 06:31 AM

16,489 posts, read 24,485,615 times
I think it is very important for people to have time alone. Like you I lived alone for a long time, then I met this guy and we got married within 4 months. I went from living completely alone to being married, moving to the other end of the state and getting pregnant in 5 months. I had my 3 sons the first 7 years of marriage. It wasn't always easy but I tried to get as much time alone as I could, albeit not a lot of time. That might mean a hot bath alone, going food shopping alone, or working in the yard alone. It is very normal and healthy to want some time for yourself, and that means your boyfriend as well.

Old 06-20-2014, 06:40 AM

50,378 posts, read 64,007,408 times
There is nothing wrong with wanting "me time". I like to go off and have quality time with myself several times a week. I think my husband enjoys doing his own thing as well. Although we are retired, he has a part time job, and he also has a workshop with projects going.

If you are feeling claustrophobic for only a few days a week, you might have a hard time being with him 24/7. You just have to give it time and see how it goes. Maybe you will need to keep the arrangement you have now, instead of moving in together.

Old 06-20-2014, 10:59 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,593,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post

That being said, I know I am with the right person when their constant presence does not bother me.
Yeah, I have never been the person who felt that, "I need this person to go away for a while, or I'll go nuts." Alone time is valued in and of itself, not because time with other people (in particular my spouse) drives me crazy. If I frequently feel like another person's presence drives me crazy, I know I'm not with the right person.

The only time I tend to feel truly claustrophobic around people is when I'm forced to spend a lot of time, through circumstance, with people who I just don't care for. When I'm with people of my choosing, I'm fine. Other people's presence does not generally annoy me unless the people themselves are ones I find annoying.

Old 06-20-2014, 11:17 AM

37,618 posts, read 46,016,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post

I like that. Sadly, the only person whose constant presence doesn't bother me is my son.

Old 06-20-2014, 04:22 PM

4,005 posts, read 4,106,650 times
I think that each person needs alone time. In fact, I encouraged my SO to go do whatever he wanted on his days off (when I still had to work) and even on weekends when I was around. But, when I said, "Go do whatever you want," I didn't mean his co-worker.

Old 06-20-2014, 04:31 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,593,150 times
Yeah, methinks "alone" time was not his priority after all, in that instance.

Old 06-20-2014, 06:00 PM

6,486 posts, read 6,391,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by monumentus View Post
And thankfully - in my own experience at least - guys don't typically get worried about their partner(s) spending time away from them WITH other people either.
Indeed. Experiences vary. And age, stability of the relationship, the nature of the relationship between the married woman and her friend(s), will all factor in as well.

But in any case, I haven't heard of any man having a problem with their wife/girlfriend having plain ol' alone time.

Old 06-20-2014, 07:23 PM

1,500 posts, read 1,773,203 times
YES!! It makes me appreciate him more when we get apart time. I will say after even a day I'm missing the hubs and pup a lot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships