Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2014, 07:24 AM

114 posts, read 153,391 times

Advertisements

I’ve lived alone for over 20 years. I’ve never had a husband, live-in boyfriend, roommate or family member live with me. I’m in the very first relationship wheremarriage might be a possibility. I ‘m at my BF’s apartment 3 to 4 days a week,which was pretty hard to get used to at first, because I’m so used to being by myself.

Here’s the deal, my sweet boyfriend left the apartment for awhile to go to the office and then to spend time with his son for Father’s Day.He was only gone for about 2.5 hours, but it was sooooo nice having theapartment to myself for a while. I feel bad about this, but I loved it. I took a long hot shower,washed/conditioned/flat ironed my hair. I sat on the couch and watched JewelryTelevision. I even got a little bit of cleaning done. I really liked the solitude.It was just like the old days. I feel bad, but I wished that he would have taken a little bit more time out. Don’tget me wrong. I’m sure that I would have started missing him in about 8 hoursor so, but it was just nice having a little time alone.

I think he might be “the one”, but I’m quite introverted andneed time alone from time to time. I don’t feel overwhelmed right now because I do spend 3-4 days a week at my own apartment,but if I marry him, I’m a little anxious about how I can ask for alone timewithout making him feel like I don’t want to be with him. He’s really sweet helikes being with me. I like being with him too, I just like it when he leavessometimes, so I can have some alone time.

If you are a married woman, do you enjoy spending time alone even though you love your man dearly?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2014, 07:32 AM

177 posts, read 365,518 times
I have always enjoyed "alone time", even when I was married (maybe especially when I was married!)

I just spent the entire weekend alone and enjoyed every moment. I think you need to let him know that you need some alone time and that it's not a reflection on him or your relationship. Although alone time when you live together is much more difficult to get!

Old 06-16-2014, 07:34 AM

5,121 posts, read 6,805,785 times
I was married... I "need" alone time. Luckily I got it... unluckily it's because my ex was cheating on me with men, lol.

Joking aside, alone time is important for introverts like us. It doesn't mean you don't love a person, it just means you need your time.

But I've always though, man it would be nice to find a man who likes to hunt, fish, play golf, work on cars, go riding on a bike, go out drinking with buddies or something so I can have alone time. Does your boyfriend have any hobbies like that? Is there a way to encourage him to go out more?

Another option that doesn't require him to change his schedule is for you to get up early or stay up late.

Old 06-16-2014, 08:03 AM

15,714 posts, read 21,076,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoopSeeker View Post

If you are a married woman, do you enjoy spending time alone even though you love your man dearly?
Of course! I've been with my husband for more than 20 years, and I get antsy if I don't have some alone time. In my house, there is such a thing as "too much together time". I need about 2-3 hours a day of alone time to stay sane.

Old 06-16-2014, 08:13 AM

12,585 posts, read 16,957,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoopSeeker View Post
I’ve lived alone for over 20 years. I’ve never had a husband, live-in boyfriend, roommate or family member live with me. I’m in the very first relationship wheremarriage might be a possibility. I ‘m at my BF’s apartment 3 to 4 days a week,which was pretty hard to get used to at first, because I’m so used to being by myself.

Here’s the deal, my sweet boyfriend left the apartment for awhile to go to the office and then to spend time with his son for Father’s Day.He was only gone for about 2.5 hours, but it was sooooo nice having theapartment to myself for a while. I feel bad about this, but I loved it. I took a long hot shower,washed/conditioned/flat ironed my hair. I sat on the couch and watched JewelryTelevision. I even got a little bit of cleaning done. I really liked the solitude.It was just like the old days. I feel bad, but I wished that he would have taken a little bit more time out. Don’tget me wrong. I’m sure that I would have started missing him in about 8 hoursor so, but it was just nice having a little time alone.

I think he might be “the one”, but I’m quite introverted andneed time alone from time to time. I don’t feel overwhelmed right now because I do spend 3-4 days a week at my own apartment,but if I marry him, I’m a little anxious about how I can ask for alone timewithout making him feel like I don’t want to be with him. He’s really sweet helikes being with me. I like being with him too, I just like it when he leavessometimes, so I can have some alone time.

It's nice to hear there are women out there who are not clingy and needy.

If he loves you he will respect your alone time.

"Where is your wife?"
"She's taking time out for herself."

Everyone should have alone time.

I feel like you except I'm with a needy, clingy extroverted person.

I would discuss this with him and see how he feels. He might be hurrying home because that's what he thinks you want.

Old 06-16-2014, 08:18 AM

12,535 posts, read 15,206,384 times
It's not only okay, but healthy. My friends and I call it GAT, for Girl Alone Time.

Old 06-16-2014, 08:31 AM

9,130 posts, read 20,018,788 times
Wanting and enjoying some alone time in any type of relationship is normal, positive, and healthy.

No reason at all to feel bad or quilty about it.

Old 06-16-2014, 08:35 AM

1,659 posts, read 1,659,160 times
You don't sound overly enthusiastic about this relationship. You said it was "soooooo nice having the apartment to yourself" and that you "loved" your alone time when he was gone for 2 hours and wished it could have been longer.
You sound happier being alone so why would you contemplate marriage under those circumstances? It's not fair to him or you. Keep dating for now until you like your time spent with him as much as you like your time without him.

Old 06-16-2014, 08:36 AM

114 posts, read 153,391 times
These responses are encouraging. Thank you.

Old 06-16-2014, 08:39 AM

2,211 posts, read 2,617,045 times
Yes it is OK to still want alone time. I get home from work before my wife and look forward to my 1.5 hours of being alone. When she goes on vacation with her sisters, I look forward to that too, but I am just not obvious about it. LOL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships