Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2014, 11:14 AM

11,371 posts, read 9,286,148 times

Advertisements

Ask for the alone time if you have to. I hope you are not going to find out he is selfish and deny your request.

He can find something to do to kill a few hours here and there. It's not unreasonable to ask and should be no big deal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2014, 11:20 AM

35,094 posts, read 51,251,824 times
My Husband is with a friend right now, out of the house on a few hour trip to another state and back and it is a good thing.
We have been together 24/7 since May 18, 2014 (the day he got injured) and with the injury, doctors, xrays, labs, mri's, more doctors, more xrays, surgery, labs, post operative doctor, and now physical therapy I have welcomed the few hours alone in the house.

Most everyone needs alone time even if it is just a few minutes a day or a few hours every once in a while.
Honestly, I am also very used to being alone because my Husband is usually gone working from hours at a time to months at a time. This instantly home 24/7 has been quite an adjustment for both of us.

Old 06-16-2014, 11:27 AM

16,709 posts, read 19,419,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoopSeeker View Post

my sweet boyfriend left the apartment for awhile to go to the office and then to spend time with his son for Father’s Day.

I think he might be “the one”
Just curious, then why didn't you go with him to spend time with his son? He "could" be your stepson.

Old 06-16-2014, 11:47 AM

11,798 posts, read 12,035,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by convextech View Post
Just curious, then why didn't you go with him to spend time with his son? He "could" be your stepson.
Why did she need to? In intact families parents don't have to do everything together with a child. It's a good thing for dads and sons to bond and have that alone time together, especially in divorce situations and assuming his son doesn't live with him f/t.

Heck, my dad and I would do things together (either a MLB or NHL game) and my mom wasn't included. It wasn't about her.

Old 06-16-2014, 12:06 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,593,150 times
Of course!

My husband and I adore spending time together, but we also like alone time. Both of us had a couple of decades of living single under our belts when we met, so we were each accustomed to having time that we could schedule as we see fit, without weighing in the preferences and priorities of anybody else. I think it's important to still retain that down time to do with as we see fit. My husband is in the military, so he periodically has duty and trainings and events that he does and it's just me on my own. I don't mind it, because then I get some "me" time. My husband likes quiet alone time in the house to read, so in the early a.m., I stay upstairs, and he comes down in his robe, and relaxes in his easy chair with our dogs and does his morning reading and coffee for an hour or so. It's the way he's always started his day, and when we started living together, and then got married, I didn't want him to lose that ritual that he enjoys.

My brother and his wife have been married for ten years. On Sundays, he takes the kids (who he does not get to spend much time during the week with, due to the hours of his job), and they go do something fun and get some "dad time" in, and his wife gets the day to relax and decompress and get ready for the workweek without attending to a six-year old and three-year old twins.

Old 06-16-2014, 12:20 PM

9,238 posts, read 22,905,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
Of course!

My husband and I adore spending time together, but we also like alone time. Both of us had a couple of decades of living single under our belts when we met, so we were each accustomed to having time that we could schedule as we see fit, without weighing in the preferences and priorities of anybody else. I think it's important to still retain that down time to do with as we see fit. My husband is in the military, so he periodically has duty and trainings and events that he does and it's just me on my own. I don't mind it, because then I get some "me" time. My husband likes quiet alone time in the house to read, so in the early a.m., I stay upstairs, and he comes down in his robe, and relaxes in his easy chair with our dogs and does his morning reading and coffee for an hour or so. It's the way he's always started his day, and when we started living together, and then got married, I didn't want him to lose that ritual that he enjoys.

My brother and his wife have been married for ten years. On Sundays, he takes the kids (who he does not get to spend much time during the week with, due to the hours of his job), and they go do something fun and get some "dad time" in, and his wife gets the day to relax and decompress and get ready for the workweek without attending to a six-year old and three-year old twins.
These examples are great examples of what I had wished for in my relationship! Unfortunately, with the first example, my partner would be coming upstairs 9-10 times in a 2 hour period to just to see what I was doing, to ask me if I needed anything, to ask me where we keep the coffee, where we keep spoons, etc.

Old 06-16-2014, 12:23 PM

3,158 posts, read 4,591,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoopSeeker View Post
I’ve lived alone for over 20 years. I’ve never had a husband, live-in boyfriend, roommate or family member live with me. I’m in the very first relationship wheremarriage might be a possibility. I ‘m at my BF’s apartment 3 to 4 days a week,which was pretty hard to get used to at first, because I’m so used to being by myself.

Here’s the deal, my sweet boyfriend left the apartment for awhile to go to the office and then to spend time with his son for Father’s Day.He was only gone for about 2.5 hours, but it was sooooo nice having theapartment to myself for a while. I feel bad about this, but I loved it. I took a long hot shower,washed/conditioned/flat ironed my hair. I sat on the couch and watched JewelryTelevision. I even got a little bit of cleaning done. I really liked the solitude.It was just like the old days. I feel bad, but I wished that he would have taken a little bit more time out. Don’tget me wrong. I’m sure that I would have started missing him in about 8 hoursor so, but it was just nice having a little time alone.

I think he might be “the one”, but I’m quite introverted andneed time alone from time to time. I don’t feel overwhelmed right now because I do spend 3-4 days a week at my own apartment,but if I marry him, I’m a little anxious about how I can ask for alone timewithout making him feel like I don’t want to be with him. He’s really sweet helikes being with me. I like being with him too, I just like it when he leavessometimes, so I can have some alone time.

If you are a married woman, do you enjoy spending time alone even though you love your man dearly?

Your normal! We all need alone time, I've been married 32 years my husband understand my need for this, so he'll go off do things with out son etc....

Old 06-16-2014, 12:26 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,228,838 times
Absolutely. Most couples develop habits to give themselves alone time naturally, without even speaking of it. Others have to make a point to do so because one is more "joined at the hip" than the other.

I have a friend who's husband wants to do everything she does. She rarely goes to the grocery store alone unless he's at work, she isn't working right now, and even then he'll say to wait for him and they can go when he gets home. Sometimes she will call to have a gab-fest and often before I even get the word "hello?" out of my mouth I hear her yelling at him because she went upstairs to talk in private and suddenly he NEEDS to be upstairs to dig through a closet or ask where something is. It's honestly annoying being on the other end of the phone when that happens. And sometimes it happens multiple times with her moving throughout her house and him just "popping in" for some reason or another.

Old 06-16-2014, 12:43 PM

3,158 posts, read 4,591,937 times
I should also add, I like alone time while in the bathroom, not into the buddy system of brushing teeth together getting ready, etc~~ lol..

Old 06-16-2014, 01:17 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,593,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TracySam View Post
These examples are great examples of what I had wished for in my relationship! Unfortunately, with the first example, my partner would be coming upstairs 9-10 times in a 2 hour period to just to see what I was doing, to ask me if I needed anything, to ask me where we keep the coffee, where we keep spoons, etc.
Him having had a good twenty years of keeping his own house and making his own coffee prior to meeting me has kept him pretty self-sufficient.

He's actually fine with it if I come down and join him, but I like to give him that alone time. I'm usually reading upstairs myself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships