Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2014, 01:34 AM

21 posts, read 19,016 times

Advertisements

Ok, so, I'm just curious but I'm interested in hearing from single mothers and men who might have some experience with this. To begin, let me first say that I realize that there are some men who would never date a single mother for various reasons & I also know there are a lot of guys (mostly younger but not always) out there who just don't want to deal with kids or the "inconvenience"... but I am not talking about them. So here are my questions for you all...
Is it really possible for a guy to want to marry a mother who is busy raising young children? Is it too much to ask or expect a man to share a woman with her children if she is their only caregiver & has no family to help or give her time alone with him on a consistent basis? Is that fair? Do you think that such a man exists that is capable of feeling a fatherly bond with a child who is not his regardless of the age and be willing to care for & about him in a similar way? Perhaps a stranger question, how likely is a white guy able to accept a women with 2 mixed children & does that have any influence over his decision to be with her in a serious/lifelong relationship? Would he feel awkward accepting them too equally? I know this is really dependent on the man himself but I am just starting to wonder if my situation in itself means that I should just expect that if I am to ever find "the one" it will be more likely to happen after my children have grown up? Lastly, is it fair to say that most men steer clear of women who have had a lot of trouble in her life, even if she remains kind & loving despite it all? Like I said all strange questions but I am interested in hearing helpful thoughts. Please keep all ignorant remarks to yourself. Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2014, 02:15 AM

6,386 posts, read 6,274,180 times
I ABSOLUTELY think there are guys like that who want to "have kids"- theirs or otherwise. I say this from watching my male friends get involved w such people and also watching my mom date as a single parent. I'd say well over 60% of her dates were A holes but a few i felt really cared about me and my mom in the "family" type way.

Old 10-11-2014, 02:17 AM

4,290 posts, read 4,010,140 times
I cannot answer all question a man can answer for those for sure. But yes there are men exist who accept single mothers as they are my cousin brother is one of them he married to a single mother with two boys from age 4 and 2 at that time and they got married and they have their own two kids too. There are people exist who care about the woman not other stuff. My cousin brothers wife also all alone with those kids no one to helped. So I think it should work for you too.

Old 10-11-2014, 04:35 AM

12,585 posts, read 16,947,750 times
I guess it depends.

Were you married? Did you cheat on the father? Do your children have different fathers? Do you live on assistance? Does the father see his kids regularly?

Just a few...

Old 10-11-2014, 05:46 AM

4,463 posts, read 6,227,737 times
I think the time would be a huge issue, if I barely get "alone time" with the woman then I see little distinction from being single with a bunch of rude obnoxious roomates who act like children. That does not sound like a nice trip to Europe to me.

Old 10-11-2014, 05:54 AM

143 posts, read 188,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samara7915 View Post
Ok, so, I'm just curious but I'm interested in hearing from single mothers and men who might have some experience with this. To begin, let me first say that I realize that there are some men who would never date a single mother for various reasons & I also know there are a lot of guys (mostly younger but not always) out there who just don't want to deal with kids or the "inconvenience"... but I am not talking about them. So here are my questions for you all...
Is it really possible for a guy to want to marry a mother who is busy raising young children? Is it too much to ask or expect a man to share a woman with her children if she is their only caregiver & has no family to help or give her time alone with him on a consistent basis? Is that fair? Do you think that such a man exists that is capable of feeling a fatherly bond with a child who is not his regardless of the age and be willing to care for & about him in a similar way? Perhaps a stranger question, how likely is a white guy able to accept a women with 2 mixed children & does that have any influence over his decision to be with her in a serious/lifelong relationship? Would he feel awkward accepting them too equally? I know this is really dependent on the man himself but I am just starting to wonder if my situation in itself means that I should just expect that if I am to ever find "the one" it will be more likely to happen after my children have grown up? Lastly, is it fair to say that most men steer clear of women who have had a lot of trouble in her life, even if she remains kind & loving despite it all? Like I said all strange questions but I am interested in hearing helpful thoughts. Please keep all ignorant remarks to yourself. Thank you.

It has happened in real life. I have known two of my colleagues who found long lasting love in women with child/children. One is married a young mother with couple kids and the other married a single mother with a child. They love these kids to the point that they both adopted them as their own. These men are well educated and have have good paying jobs (engineers). Their marriage lives are as good as everyone else. They are still committed to each other to this day.

One of the aforementioned couples found each other on a dating website.

I can't say about a situation with mixed kids. But I am sure that there are men out there who will not mind the whole package if he finds you as the one.

Old 10-11-2014, 06:01 AM

1,935 posts, read 4,775,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samara7915 View Post
A buddy of mine is enamored with a single mother and has fallen in love with her kid... so I'd say "yes" to #1. Of course, the guy has loved this girl for almost 7 years and admits that he fell for her kid (who is now 2) because she's HER kid... anything to get HER... but still, that means that if a guy wants you that badly, he'll take your kid too. That said, there are many guys who don't want to be bothered with the inconvenience of a girlfriend's kids.... but there are many guys who would like the "instant family" aspect of being with a woman who has kids. Many a single mom has found love.

Do men steer clear of women who have had a lot of trouble in their lives? It all depends on what the trouble was and what the chances are of it continuing to be troublesome in the present and future. Most guys don't care about what crap you've gone through in the past as long as it doesn't impact the relationship in the present.

Old 10-11-2014, 06:31 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,691,178 times
I have friends and family members who were divorced mothers who remarried when they had small children. It happens.

Old 10-11-2014, 07:58 AM

722 posts, read 1,328,130 times
I think it's very uncommon, your chances of finding a white male that would accept a single mother with young mixed race children are very slim

but I know a waitress that has been married three times and has mixed race children from three different men, the last guy she married also has kids from a previous marriage

I think most men would not be interested in single mothers with small children, I heard the children will always have priority over the husband and also having to deal with the childrens's father

Old 10-11-2014, 08:02 AM

42,763 posts, read 52,848,332 times
It can happen.I see it every day.Get a man who is patient.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships