Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2015, 08:43 AM

1,754 posts, read 2,469,565 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapsChick View Post
It's a cliche as tired as they come. Plus, it's BS.
All job descriptions conversation the "cliche", must be flexible. However they all contain that phrase, and more so nobody would skip over an ad for saying so.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2015, 08:54 AM

41,936 posts, read 36,995,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwamjn View Post
All job descriptions conversation the "cliche", must be flexible. However they all contain that phrase, and more so nobody would skip over an ad for saying so.

Looking for a job and looking for a relationship aren't the same. Jobs are needed to survive. You can be MUCH more selective and discriminating in looking for a partner since you don't need one.

It indicates the person isn't able to think for themselves and has to use trite slogans instead of being real. No thanks.

Old 01-08-2015, 08:59 AM

4,613 posts, read 4,797,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
It indicates the person isn't able to think for themselves and has to use trite slogans instead of being real. No thanks.
And, as mentioned....it's BS. Without exception, every single woman I've met or known who used that phrase does NOT dress up (or if they do, they're incredibly uncomfortable with it)

Old 01-08-2015, 09:03 AM

4,003 posts, read 6,104,234 times
I'm pretty openminded, I know many people have trouble writing about themselves or something I catch myself doing is writing about myself in an idelic kind of way like making myself more outgoing than I am or more of a partier than I am. It's not something I do intentionally or to mislead I think its just human nature its hard to see yourself as others do.

For that reason if someone seems cool or I'm attracted to them I'll give it a chance to learn a bit more about then and not write them off based on a single line of their profile.

Old 01-08-2015, 09:07 AM

3,588 posts, read 5,732,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fargobound View Post
So you made it past the head shot and now it comes time read the profile

If I ever see the famous Marilyn Monroe quote “If you can’t handle me at my worst you don’t deserve my best” I’m out.

I just have to ask what kind of woman puts the quote from a drug addled adulterous women?
OP, I really wouldn't blame you...there is something about that quote that screams narcissist and victim at the same time. Quite unsettling. Not sure if Marilyn said it, hope she didn't!

On profiles, if I see statements along the lines of, "game-players (or other undesirables) need not apply." I pull back because it just sounds kind of angry and cynical. Angry and cynical does not belong on a dating site if any chance for success is to be hoped for.

"Looking for fun" sounds vaguely predatory.

"Tired of the games" Well, who likes head games? Tired of them? Who ISN'T?

"Ladies, look no further; I bring a lot to the table" Sounds a little bit desperate and are you trying to convince me, or yourself? A shot of humility would do worlds of good, here.

Old 01-08-2015, 10:38 AM

14,375 posts, read 18,385,483 times
Stating any of the following:
-"I've been hurt before" (No s**t. So has everyone else over the age of 15 who doesn't live in a hermetically sealed bubble.)

-"Chivalry isn't dead." (Maybe not, but I couldn't really care. Treat other people well because they're people, not because of their gender.)

-"I'm a nice guy." (Congratulations. "Nice" is a bare minimum standard for establishing your basic humanity, not a virtue.)

I also don't date guys who are poly, socially conservative, in law enforcement or devoutly religious. and I've got good reasons for all of those.

But I'm kind of done with dating these days. It's kind of a distraction from the other good things I've got going on in my life, and I'm tired of that. My writing, working on my personal fitness, my career, my other hobbies and my friends and family are more important right now than chasing a romance.

Old 01-08-2015, 10:39 AM

41,936 posts, read 36,995,252 times
^^^^

All good ones.

Old 01-08-2015, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fargobound View Post
So you made it past the head shot and now it comes time read the profile

If I ever see the famous Marilyn Monroe quote “If you can’t handle me at my worst you don’t deserve my best” I’m out.

I just have to ask what kind of woman puts the quote from a drug addled adulterous women?
I don't care who such a person would be quoting, but the quote itself is pretty asinine. That would be the most offputting for me. But I'm a straight chick. Any guy posting that would just come off as a raging drama factory (as should any woman doing the same, though).

Old 01-08-2015, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
^^^^

All good ones.
Grazie

But I'm waiting for the deluge of responses from men saying "enjoy being alone with your cats!"

To which I would have to retort "it's dogs and books, dumbass, not cats."

Old 01-08-2015, 10:50 AM

3,426 posts, read 3,346,822 times
Racist.
Ultraconservative.
Condescending....I can read a profile and smell condescension!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships