Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2015, 12:48 PM

4,613 posts, read 4,797,837 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LostinPhilly View Post

2. No degree: If I read that you're not doing something substantial with your life and you're going through jobs like you're changing T-shirts, you're disqualified. I want someone with drive and ambition. Unless you dropped out of college and choose a more fulfilling path which provides you with a certain financial security, you're not a match.
How would you know whether or not this is the case if it's an instant disqualifier?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2015, 01:20 PM

245 posts, read 219,565 times
Quote:
2. No degree: If I read that you're not doing something substantial with your life and you're going through jobs like you're changing T-shirts, you're disqualified. I want someone with drive and ambition. Unless you dropped out of college and choose a more fulfilling path which provides you with a certain financial security, you're not a match.
Well, just saying here...

I make low 6 figures as an IT consultant, bought my house at 30, no debt, dropped out of college, no degree...

Flatly dismissing someone for not having a degree is shortsighted.

I think you qualified your answer well, but just saying someone WITH a degree fitting your criteria is equally as bad of a partner for an LTR

Old 01-08-2015, 01:33 PM

3,588 posts, read 5,732,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Idon'tdateyou View Post
Yeah, I would always get that comment from men (and a lot of women on message boards)when I would post my requirements. They'd tell me I'd have to settle (usually with a man with kids)to which I replied "I'd rather have cats than settle". Not sure why so many think being alone is worse than settling, since everyone I know who settled ended up miserable or alone anyway.
This.

Old 01-08-2015, 01:57 PM

2,518 posts, read 2,060,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet Like Sugar View Post
I don't write "ask me", but I wrote very little in my OkCupid profile because I personally don't like reading long ones. If you tell me everything about yourself up front, there's not a whole lot I can ask you in the small talk phase. Also, I answered quite a few public match questions, so I figured that should make up for my lack of profile information.
Some of us are more adept at making small talk, and I believe there are layers and layers to peel back from the onion of our life history - if the onion wants to share.

But when you only get 2-3 pics and a bunch of 'ask me later' fill-ins, it implies or intimates they are looking for the short-term hookup or do not take the profile srsly.

I'm a sorta wordsy, cerebral, intellectual kinda guy so I think and wish and hope and dream that my Hypothetical OKCupid match is also inclined to say more rather than less, about herself.

But it still comes down to them liking/swipe Yes
on your pics/face/body most of all.

Old 01-08-2015, 05:00 PM

13,660 posts, read 9,727,106 times
Quote:
2. No degree: If I read that you're not doing something substantial with your life and you're going through jobs like you're changing T-shirts, you're disqualified. I want someone with drive and ambition.
I'll approach the "no degree" topic from the opposite direction. I have a PhD, but at this point in my life, I'm drained of most ambition. My lab basically runs itself, and the more of my day is consumed by drinking coffee and piddling around aimlessly, ultimately the more progress is made in my department. Making discoveries, publishing papers, revolutionizing the field? Perhaps, at least the first two. But my emerging ambition is to disavow all ambition.

Many persons in my position would react likewise. We worked hard in our teens and 20s, pursuing our schooling with assiduous dedication. Now comes the stage of philosophizing, of pondering the world in a cushy armchair. Meanwhile, those who were less rigorously dedicated in their youth, are now scrambling to succeed. They're the ambitious ones.

The point is that quite often, "no degree" means MORE ambition, while "advanced degree" could mean a jaded intellectual withdrawn from society and more interested in his library and the effete pursuits that the workaday world would conflate with phlegmatic indolence. I think perhaps that online daters notice this, and act accordingly.

Old 01-08-2015, 05:06 PM

41,936 posts, read 36,995,252 times
Quote:

4. "In a relationship": Then what on earth are you doing on this website? I want someone with morals.
This makes no sense. People can have morals and be in a relationship where they are free to look for dates.

They might not have your moral code, but that is a different issue alltogether.

Old 01-08-2015, 05:08 PM

41,936 posts, read 36,995,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeSmith357 View Post
Well, just saying here...

I make low 6 figures as an IT consultant, bought my house at 30, no debt, dropped out of college, no degree...

Flatly dismissing someone for not having a degree is shortsighted.

I think you qualified your answer well, but just saying someone WITH a degree fitting your criteria is equally as bad of a partner for an LTR

You're focused on the money. That isn't what is about. Why is everyone focused on the money? It's a non issue in my dating experience.

Old 01-08-2015, 10:19 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 59,042,276 times
When I see this in the essay "Just Ask"

Old 01-08-2015, 11:11 PM

10,855 posts, read 6,375,064 times
Religious
Conservative/Republican
Wants children
Seeking NSA/ONS

^These are polar opposite to the sort of person with whom there would be mutual interest/attraction (because I'm "none of the above" as well).

Old 01-08-2015, 11:23 PM

94 posts, read 89,339 times
I met my boyfriend on OKcupid. We exchanged a total of 4 messages before deciding to meet up - it's much easier for me to get a feel for someone offline. On his profile politics weren't stated but in general there are a couple political views that would mean instant disqualification. Smoking and drug use are a no-go for me. You all posted dozens of other things that I would disqualify someone for as well. Interesting how universal the turn-offs can be when it comes to online dating.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships