Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-05-2015, 12:04 AM

4,751 posts, read 5,439,701 times

Advertisements

Just a note to shy guys everywhere: When a woman takes the chance and the initiative to reach out to you, at least have the decency to respond - even if it's just to say no thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2015, 01:25 PM

10,216 posts, read 8,306,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoonBeam33 View Post
Just a note to shy guys everywhere: When a woman takes the chance and the initiative to reach out to you, at least have the decency to respond - even if it's just to say no thank you.
A lot of women don't respond when a man shows his interests, why is a man expected to do it? Last woman who tried talking to me I ignored her because I wasn't interested. I don't owe her a response. She picked up on it and moved on. If someone likes you you're not obligated to even talk to them. Sorry not sorry.

Old 12-05-2015, 03:07 PM

29,746 posts, read 34,389,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 49ersfan27 View Post
If someone likes you you're not obligated to even talk to them. Sorry not sorry.
But if someone comes up to you in person and says "hello" and you don't even acknowledge them, even to say, "sorry, I'm busy/not interested/not available/whatever," then you're being rude. If they're being pushy you can be brusque, but if they're just being polite and trying to converse, ignoring someone who is standing right in front of you is displaying real social impairment.

Last edited by fleetiebelle; 12-05-2015 at 03:20 PM..

Old 12-05-2015, 03:39 PM

26,700 posts, read 41,742,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
But if someone comes up to you in person and says "hello" and you don't even acknowledge them, even to say, "sorry, I'm busy/not interested/not available/whatever," then you're being rude. If they're being pushy you can be brusque, but if they're just being polite and trying to converse, ignoring someone who is standing right in front of you is displaying real social impairment.
49ers has a point though. Women are never given the amount of over this topic that men are given. No one ever calls them out for not responding to a message.

Old 12-05-2015, 03:43 PM

29,746 posts, read 34,389,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dissenter View Post
49ers has a point though. Women are never given the amount of over this topic that men are given. No one ever calls them out for not responding to a message.
My statement was gender-neutral--it applies to everyone. Yeah, you don't owe a stranger much of your time, and it doesn't apply in a situation like street harassment, but not acknowledging someone who's talking directly to you with decent intentions is rude.

Old 12-05-2015, 03:55 PM

52,267 posts, read 52,686,640 times
Quote:
My statement was gender-neutral--it applies to everyone. Yeah, you don't owe a stranger much of your time, and it doesn't apply in a situation like street harassment, but not acknowledging someone who's talking directly to you with decent intentions is rude.

I'm not sure what's going on anymore, but seems like basic manners appears to be lacking. I was just at the grocery store and some lady asked me about one of my shopping bags, I politely answered her, no harm no foul, what am I supposed to do give her some of this

Old 12-05-2015, 03:56 PM

186 posts, read 157,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoonBeam33 View Post
Perhaps we would, if they did it in a, lets say, more obvious way!
All those subtles hints.... I hate it.
Often you do not even know what she is doing. It is really hard to figure it out. Sometime its a flirt, sometimes its just a friendly gesture.

Old 12-05-2015, 03:59 PM

186 posts, read 157,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 49ersfan27 View Post
A lot of women don't respond when a man shows his interests, why is a man expected to do it? Last woman who tried talking to me I ignored her because I wasn't interested. I don't owe her a response. She picked up on it and moved on. If someone likes you you're not obligated to even talk to them. Sorry not sorry.
Thats pretty bad.

Just ignoring people shows a lack or respect or a lack or good conduct.

BTW: it goes both ways, not just a man is expected to answer, a woman as well. Its called common courtesy.
Just be nice to people rather than being a jackass.

Old 12-05-2015, 04:12 PM

26,700 posts, read 41,742,544 times
Quote:
Say gender-neutral all you want. That does not change that men are treated FAR more harshly on this topic than woman are.

Old 12-05-2015, 05:03 PM

48,531 posts, read 34,851,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dissenter View Post

I've seen women called out on stuff like this.

Don't forget this was a discussion about men (needing compassion) by a guy.

Never could figure out what he meant.... a sympathy date? a hug?

Anytime you start complaining that you want a whole gender to change to make you feel better you're on shaky ground.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships