Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2015, 10:01 PM

709 posts, read 766,716 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
If she is talking about coworkers, it is unsafe professionally. It is downright idiotic to date coworkers. I didn't follow the entire thread so if she means something else, negate that.
Hey, Timberstud proclaims it, so it must be true.

I have dated women from work, and I am glad I did. Lots of people meet their spouses by dating people from work. Many friends of mine have met their spouses through work. My supervisor married his first office-mate.

But apparently they, me and the women we met are idiots.

How did you meet your spouse?

Last edited by troymclure; 11-16-2015 at 10:28 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2015, 10:06 PM

709 posts, read 766,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stellastar2345 View Post
I'm 22 year old female, with a nice job, and live in Atlanta.

I recently moved into a shared apartment, and I think I'm ready to a long term committed relationship. I haven't been having much luck finding men who want to settle down. I'm trying to target 26/27 year old professional men with a steady job (like me, not a gold digger).

where do you suggest I start looking?

I'm involved with some church activities currently, but haven't had much luck there.
You should delete your account on this website and run far away.

Old 11-16-2015, 11:41 PM

1,384 posts, read 1,057,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by troymclure View Post

I have dated women from work, and I am glad I did. Lots of people meet their spouses by dating people from work. Many friends of mine have met their spouses through work. My supervisor married his first office-mate.

Stop it with this crazy talk!

According to this forum, the best way to meet high quality women is at the bar or online dating.....LOL

Old 11-17-2015, 04:51 AM

5,429 posts, read 4,464,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stellastar2345 View Post
i mean, i'm a programmer, so I'd like to met STEM workers to be honest.

very low at this point. I just graduated college. Been having a hard time making friends.
Non-STEM women are less apt to be into dating men in STEM. When I said what I said about women's perception of STEM workers, I was writing it from the perspective of an early to mid-20s woman who's about a 6-7 or higher in looks and either a Psychology/Sociology type major in undergrad or didn't finish college.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akonyo View Post
Stop it with this crazy talk!

According to this forum, the best way to meet high quality women is at the bar or online dating.....LOL
I'd say those are the two worst in general.

Old 11-17-2015, 06:46 AM

5,353 posts, read 5,795,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ312 View Post
Non-STEM women are less apt to be into dating men in STEM. When I said what I said about women's perception of STEM workers, I was writing it from the perspective of an early to mid-20s woman who's about a 6-7 or higher in looks and either a Psychology/Sociology type major in undergrad or didn't finish college.

I'd say those are the two worst in general.
Not to sound stupid, but what is STEM? I think of Stem cells when I read this. Please enlighten.

Old 11-17-2015, 07:18 AM

41,936 posts, read 36,995,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by troymclure View Post

It isn't just me. Why do you think non-fraternization policies exist across wide swaths of industry? Are they all my idea? They existed long long long before I was ever born and thankfully are making a comeback.

No, they exist because of lawsuits, climate, and morale in the workplace being affected. You might want to read up on the history of the basis of non fraternization policies before commenting.

One thing that is not often part of such treatises on non fraternization policies is sexual harassment policies. Large swaths of sexual harassment claims are not made by the two people involved in the interactions, they are from third parties that are affected by the climate of the interactions, and even the most discreet couples do create such energy.

So yes, dating co workers is idiotic, even if it does occasionally "work".

Old 11-17-2015, 09:11 AM

4,613 posts, read 4,797,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlguy39 View Post
Not to sound stupid, but what is STEM? I think of Stem cells when I read this. Please enlighten.
Science, Technology, Engineering, and Math. The so-called "nerd fields".

Quote:
It isn't just me. Why do you think non-fraternization policies exist across wide swaths of industry? Are they all my idea? They existed long long long before I was ever born and thankfully are making a comeback.

No, they exist because of lawsuits, climate, and morale in the workplace being affected. You might want to read up on the history of the basis of non fraternization policies before commenting.

One thing that is not often part of such treatises on non fraternization policies is sexual harassment policies. Large swaths of sexual harassment claims are not made by the two people involved in the interactions, they are from third parties that are affected by the climate of the interactions, and even the most discreet couples do create such energy.

So yes, dating co workers is idiotic, even if it does occasionally "work".
Logically speaking, it is unwise to date coworkers. Legal reasons probably top the list, followed by awkwardness and discomfort post-breakup or even how to handle relations without appearing to show favoritism, etc.

Practically speaking, it's one of the easiest places to find dates, and that's its appeal to those in favor of it. You're around these people who already have something in common with you...way more if they're in your field or department, and you spend more time with these people than you do with anyone else, in many cases including family.

So while I get it (and I've dipped my pen in the company ink a LOT of times), it isn't the smartest of decisions.

Old 11-17-2015, 09:22 AM

41,936 posts, read 36,995,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hivemind31 View Post
Logically speaking, it is unwise to date coworkers. Legal reasons probably top the list, followed by awkwardness and discomfort post-breakup or even how to handle relations without appearing to show favoritism, etc.

Practically speaking, it's one of the easiest places to find dates, and that's its appeal to those in favor of it. You're around these people who already have something in common with you...way more if they're in your field or department, and you spend more time with these people than you do with anyone else, in many cases including family.

So while I get it (and I've dipped my pen in the company ink a LOT of times), it isn't the smartest of decisions.

I GET it. I did it at non consequential jobs when young and stupid in my teens and early 20s (food service, etc), and have had opportunities at recent gigs. I'm just not that dumb anymore.

Old 11-17-2015, 09:56 AM

2,306 posts, read 1,705,266 times
Quote:
I GET it. I did it at non consequential jobs when young and stupid in my teens and early 20s (food service, etc), and have had opportunities at recent gigs. I'm just not that dumb anymore.
I think this is key for dating where you work. I did it in college when I worked at a pizza place, but I wouldn't dream of doing it where I work now and losing a job vital to my career (aside from the fact that everyone I work with is in a relationship of some fashion, including myself).

So really, it all depends on the individual, where they are in life, the job, and how vital it is to future career.

Most places I've worked at post-college have had non-fraternization policies.

Old 11-17-2015, 10:23 AM

565 posts, read 433,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewdroplet76 View Post
You and I obviously look at dating completely differently. You seem to think she should be "locking down a husband." I think she should take the pressure off of herself, date, get to know people, get to know herself, and let the chips fall where they may. This is coming from a woman that was proposed to 3 times and got married at 28. So there you go. Like I said, I'm not telling her to sleep around and party it up. I'm telling her to relax and not go into every date like it has to end up in marriage.
I partially agree, I never quite got the "looking for someone to marry" approach to dating. It seems that meeting someone, dating for a bit and seeing where things go, would be a better approach. I call it outcome independent. Chances are there are plenty of guys who aren't looking to "settle down", but if they meet the right woman and the relationships develops over time, they may very well commit and create a future together. With that said, RJ is completely right. Her SMV will begin to decline after 25, and she will never again in her life be able to land as high of quality man. I know you don't believe in it, but realities and observed facts speak for themselves.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships