Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-11-2016, 12:36 PM

41,936 posts, read 36,995,252 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimBrown333 View Post
What if they know how to do all of that stuff, but live with their parents?.

Then they're still not independent.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2016, 12:42 PM

9,301 posts, read 8,353,392 times
I personally can see why women have these views given society and culture. For one thing, it is not just on men, it is on people. It is important to be able to take care of yourself, especially if you are a man. If you are at the age where you should at least have some form of independence, then you better have some form of independence whether it is holding a roof over your head or at least contributing to some bills.

The whole thing boils down to taking care of yourself. The better you are at taking care of yourself, the better your chances are to find someone who is levelheaded.

It is very rare for an adult to want to carry another adult. I personally have a harder time finding an adult woman who is willing to carry an adult male.

In relationships, you had better bring something to the table, this goes for both genders.

Old 02-11-2016, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
Then they're still not independent.
But then we must clarify. Perhaps the better phrase is living OFF of their parents. Because living with parents could mean anything. For example, there are men who live with their parents because they are taking care of them for various reasons, maybe they are sick, disabled...

Old 02-11-2016, 12:48 PM

405 posts, read 241,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TJenkins602 View Post
But then we must clarify. Perhaps the better phrase is living OFF of their parents. Because living with parents could mean anything. For example, there are men who live with their parents because they are taking care of them for various reasons, maybe they are sick, disabled...

By "Living Off" I am assuming you mean mooch? if the adult contributes to household bills (Cable, Satellite, Internet, Groceries) and pays their own bills, while doing chores, laundry, making dinner some nights, helping around the house in general would you still call them a mooch?

Old 02-11-2016, 12:51 PM

41,936 posts, read 36,995,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TJenkins602 View Post

Yeah, we've already acknowledged that's a big difference.

But I got to be honest, if I lived at home to care for my mother (I currently live a few towns over and pop over a few times a week, thankfully not like last year where I was shoveling every day), then I really think I'd have no business dating as caregiving would be taking my energy and money. Just slightly different than if I was unemployed: I'd have no business dating since I had no money and all my energy would be put into a job search.

Old 02-11-2016, 02:00 PM

5,573 posts, read 3,350,956 times
Most of the threads where someone is stressed financially apply are disproportionately aimed at men. I get that to a certain extent. Some is a holdover from an earlier time, and some is due to lingering inequalities. If a woman is interested in LT and especially if she wants me point, her interest in a man being stable financially makes lots of sense.

Having said that, expecting a man to not live with his parents at 35 is not setting the bar very high, especially if he's never moved out. But in any case and for whatever compelling reason he may be living with the folks, I'm not sure any dating other than the most casual makes any sense, for him. More would just distract from what really should be his priorities, and letting himself be distracted would be another indication that he's not doing grown up very well.

Old 02-12-2016, 12:11 PM

Quote:
By "Living Off" I am assuming you mean mooch? if the adult contributes to household bills (Cable, Satellite, Internet, Groceries) and pays their own bills, while doing chores, laundry, making dinner some nights, helping around the house in general would you still call them a mooch?
Of course not.

It's all about pulling your own weight so to speak.

Old 02-12-2016, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
Yeah, we've already acknowledged that's a big difference.

But I got to be honest, if I lived at home to care for my mother (I currently live a few towns over and pop over a few times a week, thankfully not like last year where I was shoveling every day), then I really think I'd have no business dating as caregiving would be taking my energy and money. Just slightly different than if I was unemployed: I'd have no business dating since I had no money and all my energy would be put into a job search.
Yeah, it depends...

Old 02-12-2016, 04:26 PM

8,170 posts, read 6,039,379 times
Quote:
I ask you this, what if the guy has no intention of ever getting married or wanting children and does not want to share a space with a significant other.
Then why is he dating?

I believe in dating for a purpose.

Old 02-13-2016, 10:11 AM

5,152 posts, read 8,531,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by homina12 View Post
Most of the threads where someone is stressed financially apply are disproportionately aimed at men. I get that to a certain extent. Some is a holdover from an earlier time, and some is due to lingering inequalities. If a woman is interested in LT and especially if she wants me point, her interest in a man being stable financially makes lots of sense.

Having said that, expecting a man to not live with his parents at 35 is not setting the bar very high, especially if he's never moved out. But in any case and for whatever compelling reason he may be living with the folks, I'm not sure any dating other than the most casual makes any sense, for him. More would just distract from what really should be his priorities, and letting himself be distracted would be another indication that he's not doing grown up very well.
Missed the OP point, not really talking about living with parents. Talking about must have your own place, to date you, even in places like SF and NYC
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships