Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-16-2016, 06:34 AM

146 posts, read 92,001 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
I would consider a person that goes off into the wilderness, say in Alaska, and homesteads and thrives and is self sufficient to be a success, without a doubt.

But you added exclusions that the original statement did not make, so you changed the equation.

They are, in fact, extremely common, especially in the arts. Indeed, I'd wager that most of the people making a good living in their arts are quite often less talented than many that do not, they've just learned to appeal to the public's taste, which generally results in lesser works.
Lol. Yeah you can be "successful" in your own mind with all that "talent" but reality is going to keep smacking you in the face.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2016, 06:36 AM

41,936 posts, read 36,995,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Detguest View Post
Lol. Yeah you can be "successful" in your own mind with all that "talent" but reality is going to keep smacking you in the face.

And you can be successful in the minds of many others as well.

Reality, especially in our society with incredibly skewed values and priorities, is highly overrated. Thankfully there are lots of people that don't buy into most of society's vision of what "success" looks like.

Old 02-16-2016, 06:39 AM

7,136 posts, read 12,679,388 times
I think it depends on a person's priorities. Buying a house of my own was important to me, so I worked three jobs and made it happen when I was in my late twenties. I was attracted to men who did the same, but to many of my friends this wasn't important.

Old 02-16-2016, 06:42 AM

Quote:
And you can be successful in the minds of many others as well.

Reality, especially in our society with incredibly skewed values and priorities, is highly overrated. Thankfully there are lots of people that don't buy into most of society's vision of what "success" looks like.
Successful in the minds of the deluded. Ramen every night? Home at the parents because you can't afford your own spot at 30. Oh yeah, man you got it, society's view of success is just skewed and overrated, just keep doing you.

Old 02-16-2016, 06:43 AM

24,559 posts, read 18,286,736 times
Quote:
They are, in fact, extremely common, especially in the arts. Indeed, I'd wager that most of the people making a good living in their arts are quite often less talented than many that do not, they've just learned to appeal to the public's taste, which generally results in lesser works.
You are citing an extreme corner case exception. A fraction of a percent of the population. 50% of the country is poor. They're not all starving artists with van Gogh-level talent. They're low-average non-achievers.

Old 02-16-2016, 06:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
You are citing an extreme corner case exception. A fraction of a percent of the population. 50% of the country is poor. They're not all starving artists with van Gogh-level talent. They're low-average non-achievers.

No one has said otherwise. But when someone makes an absolute statement, it only takes one exception to negate it.

Quote:
Successful in the minds of the deluded. Ramen every night? Home at the parents because you can't afford your own spot at 30. Oh yeah, man you got it, society's view of success is just skewed and overrated, just keep doing you.
It is skewed and overrated. You're free to feel otherwise.

Old 02-16-2016, 06:48 AM

Quote:
No one has said otherwise. But when someone makes an absolute statement, it only takes one exception to negate it.

It is skewed and overrated. You're free to feel otherwise.
I don't think having your own place and being self sufficient is overrated whatsoever.

You're also free to have a silly hipster mindset.

Old 02-16-2016, 06:52 AM

24,559 posts, read 18,286,736 times
Quote:
With particle physics, it's theoretically possible for me to swing my fist at a door and go right through it. No human has ever observed that phenomenon but it's possible. Every human is an individual but you can model human behavior statically. I can pick 1000 men at random out of the homeless shelter and the odds are fantastically low that I'm going to find the next Jack Kerouac among them. Is that absolute? No. Is it sure enough to make a broad sweeping generality? Of course.

Old 02-16-2016, 06:53 AM

Quote:
I don't think having your own place and being self sufficient is overrated whatsoever.

You're also free to have a silly hipster mindset.

I don't either, I never said otherwise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
With particle physics, it's theoretically possible for me to swing my fist at a door and go right through it. No human has ever observed that phenomenon but it's possible. Every human is an individual but you can model human behavior statically. I can pick 1000 men at random out of the homeless shelter and the odds are fantastically low that I'm going to find the next Jack Kerouac among them. Is that absolute? No. Is it sure enough to make a broad sweeping generality? Of course.
Your experience differs from mine. I've met many a superbly talented and indeed successful individuals that earn exceptionally little, yet they live life on their terms and are independent and happy.

And I've met many a person that earn a good amount, and are miserable and hate their lives and jobs, which I think by most reasonable measures indicates they aren't successful at life.

Old 02-16-2016, 06:58 AM

Quote:
I

Your experience differs from mine. I've met many a superbly talented and indeed successful individuals that earn exceptionally little, yet they live life on their terms and are independent and happy.
If they were actually talented in a meaningful way, they'd be paid, and paid well. That's how reality actually works.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships