Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2016, 07:32 PM

14,078 posts, read 16,616,844 times

Advertisements

I realize that when you haven't agreed to be exclusive with someone that you can do whatever you want. I can see why dating multiple people in the early stages can be a good thing since it keeps you from putting all your eggs in one basket, but I don't mind putting all my eggs in one basket in order to give someone a fair chance. But I see how it could turn into you not being sure if you're really into that person or maybe you're only really into that person because you have no other options at the moment.

So I've been out with this guy twice and I have plans to see him again this weekend. We've been texting every day in between dates and he seems excited about our upcoming date. I've been trying to put effort into communicating with him and not be so emotionally detached and nonchalant like I usually am. So for the most part, I felt like things were going well (although I know that things can change at any moment so I remain cautious). I haven't had much desire to communicate with other matches on Tinder since I met this guy although I still use the app.

So while I was driving home from work today, I thought about a guy who I met a few years ago. I don't remember what triggered my thoughts about him exactly, but I decided to contact him just for the heck of it. Of course, I'm thinking that this guy probably has already moved on and has a girlfriend or something like that, so I wasn't really expecting much. We exchanged pleasantries and then to my surprise, he asked me if I'd like to have dinner with him this weekend. So I told him that I would be free on the day that I already made plans with the other guy. I feel like that was kind of wrong, but as long as I let the other guy know ahead of time that I need to reschedule, I don't feel like it's totally wrong. I've enjoyed the two dates we've had and I was looking forward to seeing him again, but apparently I still have some interest in this guy from my past. Guy from the past is impressive on paper, but I don't know him well. Current guy is not impressive on paper, but has room for improvement. (Yes, I know I am not a perfect person and I have room for improvement too.)

How do you handle situations where you're interested in multiple people? I know it's a common thing and I shouldn't feel guilty at all, but I still do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2016, 07:40 PM

4,862 posts, read 7,965,555 times
Who would most likely to take care of you if need be? Date who you want but just understand the current guy will back off once he finds out you are going to see the other guy. What would you do or think?

Double book once and it works you will be tempted to do it again. If your looking for a relationship date responsibly. If not looking long term then go for it. Have your fun.

Old 04-14-2016, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caltovegas View Post
Who would most likely to take care of you if need be? Date who you want but just understand the current guy will back off once he finds out you are going to see the other guy. What would you do or think?

Double book once and it works you will be tempted to do it again. If your looking for a relationship date responsibly. If not looking long term then go for it. Have your fun.
I wasn't planning on telling him that I'm going out with someone else.

Old 04-14-2016, 07:50 PM

2,970 posts, read 2,771,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet Like Sugar View Post
I wasn't planning on telling him that I'm going out with someone else.
So are you casually dating?

Old 04-14-2016, 07:51 PM
YAZ

7,708 posts, read 14,090,806 times
So....if one gets invited to a dinner party and accepts, then it's fine to cancel when someone else is having a better (perceived) dinner party?

Would have been better to schedule a date with your old flame on a different day.

Old 04-14-2016, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snugglegirl05 View Post
So are you casually dating?
Yes, we've only been out twice so we're definitely not exclusive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by YAZ View Post
So....if one gets invited to a dinner party and accepts, then it's fine to cancel when someone else is having a better (perceived) dinner party?

Would have been better to schedule a date with your old flame on a different day.
Yeah, probably...

Old 04-14-2016, 08:07 PM

8,923 posts, read 7,724,837 times
Yeah I was about to say...I wouldn't have cancelled on the other dude.

Hopefully things won't get weird for you.

Old 04-14-2016, 08:14 PM

6,885 posts, read 7,894,421 times
IMHO there is a difference between dating more than one person and cancelling plans with one to meet with another. You need to be considerate of all regardless of how you define your relationships.

Old 04-14-2016, 08:18 PM

30,902 posts, read 33,013,051 times
Although not being exclusive obviously means the person doesn't have to commit to plans, once the plans are made, it's only courteous to keep them. You're doing the wrong thing. Ask your old flame for a different day.

I'm sure the guy you're thinking about blowing off has a life and a schedule too. This is an insult to him.

Old 04-14-2016, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerZ View Post
Although not being exclusive obviously means the person doesn't have to commit to plans, once the plans are made, it's only courteous to keep them. You're doing the wrong thing. Ask your old flame for a different day.

I'm sure the guy you're thinking about blowing off has a life and a schedule too. This is an insult to him.
I don't want to blow him off. I have enough time in my weekend to see both of them. I got the impression that he could maybe be flexible about changing the day, but I would at least give him sufficient notice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships