Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-11-2019, 11:52 AM

4,043 posts, read 2,713,819 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
Yeah, it's all over the local talk shows and news on the radio here. Power shutdowns up north. Seems a little late in the season for fires, usually happens more in summer.
We are lucky in that we aren't super close to any of them, but the smoke is everywhere. My mom is glued to the news and texting me updates....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2019, 11:55 AM

52,305 posts, read 52,734,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlj1225 View Post
We are lucky in that we aren't super close to any of them, but the smoke is everywhere. My mom is glued to the news and texting me updates....
Yeah, we're not that close either. The last big fire season a few years ago one of my friends had to evacuate his house back then. Turned out ok for them.

Old 10-11-2019, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Yeah, we're not that close either. The last big fire season a few years ago one of my friends had to evacuate his house back then. Turned out ok for them.
My friends too - last year in Corona Hills. We scrambled to get them packed up and out! Thankfully, the neighborhood was saved, but the fire burned right up to the property lines...

Old 10-11-2019, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlj1225 View Post
My friends too - last year in Corona Hills. We scrambled to get them packed up and out! Thankfully, the neighborhood was saved, but the fire burned right up to the property lines...
Yeah, my office is in Manhattan Beach and luckily no where near any of the current fires. I live in a different city but it's not in danger, at least right now it isn't.

Old 10-11-2019, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Yeah, my office is in Manhattan Beach and luckily no where near any of the current fires. I live in a different city but it's not in danger, at least right now it isn't.
So many fires have broken out! Homes lost, more in danger, animals in danger. Ugh.

Fingers crossed that the winds continue to die down.

Old 10-12-2019, 09:05 AM

27,957 posts, read 39,800,555 times
Couple years ago right before Christmas we had a large fire break out when a tree outside a power line right of way fell on to a power line. The winds were strong and made for a difficult situation.

Our whole forest management plan has some huge flaws. Before humans tinkered with everything a fire would naturally come through clean up the forest, it was a renewal of the land. Grasses thrived, wildlife thrived and so forth. Around 1910 the Forest Service was created and a policy of active fire suppression became the course of the day.

Yellowstone fires of 1988 were some of the first examples of fire behavior. The concern after the fires were out was the land was ruined. The next spring grasses came back, wildlife were thriving and the land was not ruined. The flaw with messing with nature, the fuels accumulate which makes for hotter fires. Which the extreme heat sterilizes the soil.

The other issue becomes, we are building in the forest or encroaching on the forest. People love living close to natures and those houses become difficult to defend in a wildfire situation. There ways to make dwellings more defensible in this environment.

Sorry for the dissertation.

I need to motivate and do some cleaning. Reading a couple different books are more interesting.

Old 10-12-2019, 01:37 PM

26,700 posts, read 41,763,058 times
Quote:
I wasn't trying to downplay it, I was just curious about it is all. Scary, you should have been in LA during the Rodney King riots, I could see smoke from my house.

I understand about riots being scary.
I recommend every watch LA X 92 on Netflix. It told a total outsider like myself who was 4 years old and across the country from LA a lot about what led up to and what all happened in the Rodney King riots. The only thing I have to compare it to was the Freddie Gray riots just up the road from me in Baltimore, which was very mild in comparison to the Rodney King situation.

Old 10-12-2019, 08:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dissenter View Post
I recommend every watch LA X 92 on Netflix. It told a total outsider like myself who was 4 years old and across the country from LA a lot about what led up to and what all happened in the Rodney King riots. The only thing I have to compare it to was the Freddie Gray riots just up the road from me in Baltimore, which was very mild in comparison to the Rodney King situation.
Florence and Normandy was a major flashpoint among a few others, store merchants on roof tops in South central fully strapped. It migrated south to Compton and I was about 8 miles from there at the time. Smoke from all the fires turned the sky orange. It was like 9/11, you just didn't know what was gonna happen next. I was a young guy, 22 I think at the time. I just had 4 wisdom teeth pulled and I was at home doped up on pain meds.

It was a scary surreal couple of days. Those two events really stick out in my mind. I remember felling sorry for Rodney King. I remember him being interviewed and the guy was filled with some misguided guilt, like it his fault. A double kick in the stomach. I still remember him pleading and asking why can't we all just get along.

Poignant words I'll never forget.

Last edited by Chowhound; 10-12-2019 at 09:47 PM..

Old 10-14-2019, 05:32 PM

8,923 posts, read 7,727,352 times
I think I'm going through that "mid 20s crisis" where you finally realize, "Holy crap, I'm getting older." I don't know WHERE it came from, but I just developed tremendous anxiety about the changes we all inevitably are going to go through. Aging didn't really scare me until now, it's so weird. Maybe I'm freaking out because I want to be able to finish grad school by a certain age. I guess when you're in your late teens, early 20s you feel invincible. But from that point on you suddenly realize......oh man time is still going lol. I know all of you are just going to roll your eyes (I did too), but it seems like time is just flying by, and there isn't enough to do everything I want to do.

Lol what the heck? Anyway, I'm done rambling. Pretty sure this anxiety will blow over soon. I hope so anyway.

Old 10-14-2019, 05:56 PM

27,957 posts, read 39,800,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Auraliea View Post
I think I'm going through that "mid 20s crisis" where you finally realize, "Holy crap, I'm getting older." I don't know WHERE it came from, but I just developed tremendous anxiety about the changes we all inevitably are going to go through. Aging didn't really scare me until now, it's so weird. Maybe I'm freaking out because I want to be able to finish grad school by a certain age. I guess when you're in your late teens, early 20s you feel invincible. But from that point on you suddenly realize......oh man time is still going lol. I know all of you are just going to roll your eyes (I did too), but it seems like time is just flying by, and there isn't enough to do everything I want to do.

Lol what the heck? Anyway, I'm done rambling. Pretty sure this anxiety will blow over soon. I hope so anyway.
My 30s blew by. It seems the trips around the sun go faster and faster. I am in my early 40s and boy howdy, the realization that I’ve lived through a lot. Still, hopefully, have a lot more to see. Maybe it is more about hitting your stride. Old age and treachery will outfox youth and enthusiasm.

One of the things I like to do when I am on the road is listen to Sun Tzu’s The Art of War. While it is a military strategy book, it also applies in other aspects, IMO. No real advice for dealing with anxiety, I guess keep moving forward and don’t give up. Persistence and a plan will go a long ways towards an end.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships