Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2016, 11:51 PM

7,400 posts, read 6,373,565 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liberty2011 View Post
I believe you can tell a lot about a person by the company they keep.
This.

And dating a guy who keeps such company was an absolute no-go for me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2016, 12:04 AM

1,481 posts, read 1,226,488 times
In your own words OP, "if his friends were more diverse, then I wouldn't care..." Your intuition is warning you that something is not right. I wonder if you held back from asking him about the dangerous comment, because you knew you would not like the answer?

I have a friend who cheats on her husband and he cheats on her, but I've asked her not to even tell me when they do such things as I find it upsetting. I dropped another friend because she was going after married men. I'm sorry, but IMO, the company you keep does have a lot of sway in your thinking which is why one should be mindful of such things.

It's one thing to go out for the odd drink with your dodgy mate, but if these are the people he chooses to hang around with every weekend for instance, I would be very suspicious.

I also dated a guy who loathed his dad coz he cheated on his mum. I thought he would never cheat because he understood what it was like, but he did. I don't think people cheat because their parents cheated, but they cheat because they can. I would be very wary to continue with this relationship. Good luck

Old 08-15-2016, 12:11 AM

2,822 posts, read 1,930,133 times
I think it's more weird that he's so open with you about his friends and what they do, than him actually having friends who do these things. I've opened up to my fiancé about things with my friends, just not only a month into the relationship though. But it's not that big of a deal either.

My best friend admitted to me that he cheated on his girlfriend when he was in a band and was out in Californis recording a record. This was like 11+ years ago now and he's no longer with her. They were together for about 7-7.5 years by that time and wound up being together for over 9 in total. They were actually engaged at the time. But he says they just messed around and didn't actually have sex, not that it makes it any better or more acceptable. But he says he thinks his love life might be cursed because of this. I would hope I never got judged for this, just because it was something he did. Not that many people even know about it.

Old 08-15-2016, 01:32 AM

1,481 posts, read 1,226,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Runninglikethieves View Post
I think it's more weird that he's so open with you about his friends and what they do, than him actually having friends who do these things. I've opened up to my fiancé about things with my friends, just not only a month into the relationship though. But it's not that big of a deal either.

My best friend admitted to me that he cheated on his girlfriend when he was in a band and was out in Californis recording a record. This was like 11+ years ago now and he's no longer with her. They were together for about 7-7.5 years by that time and wound up being together for over 9 in total. They were actually engaged at the time. But he says they just messed around and didn't actually have sex, not that it makes it any better or more acceptable. But he says he thinks his love life might be cursed because of this. I would hope I never got judged for this, just because it was something he did. Not that many people even know about it.
There's nothing wrong with opening up to your partner. You should be able to tell your partner anything. However, if every night you come home with a tale about your friends' dodgy antics, it would give me cause for concern about the type of people you choose to surround yourself with.

Your best friend sound remorseful about his cheating whereas OP's bf's mates are bragging about their conquests & it is unclear whether her bf is also partaking in such behaviour. We all makes mistakes, but most of us learn from them and try not to repeat them. There's a difference between something that happened years ago and has never been repeated since, & something that happened a week ago and the forecast says it's likely to be a repeat offense.

The OP sounds like in her heart of hearts she knows this is a no go, but people ignore their intuition all the time so perhaps only time will tell.

Old 08-15-2016, 01:50 AM

10,930 posts, read 11,730,962 times
Quote:
That sums it all up perfectly. (Or the friends they don't or can't keep).

Old 08-15-2016, 02:58 PM

2,867 posts, read 1,542,441 times
Yes, you can tell a man by the company he keeps. If he hangs around with people who cheat on or lie to their wives or treat women poorly, maybe he will not lie or cheat to you but he is still saying he is okay with that behavior in the people he is around. That is no good. I would not put too much time into this guy.

Old 08-15-2016, 03:26 PM

15,675 posts, read 11,533,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seija View Post
Yes, you can tell a man by the company he keeps. If he hangs around with people who cheat on or lie to their wives or treat women poorly, maybe he will not lie or cheat to you but he is still saying he is okay with that behavior in the people he is around. That is no good. I would not put too much time into this guy.
No, In what way does that say he condones that sort of behaviour?

It's none of his business who his friends cheat with or not.... He clearly takes them on face value which is how it should be...... It's the one on one and other traits that make the friendship

Plus it's irrelevant now as the OP has realised how good he treats her and has even invited her out to join his friends on a night out..... Which I think is brilliant on both parts

Old 08-15-2016, 04:10 PM

1,253 posts, read 2,947,204 times
Last night I asked him about the "dangerous" comment and he said it was slang. They say "dangerous" for anything and I am aware of that slang but because of other things, I didn't take it as something not as serious.

Old 08-15-2016, 04:17 PM

15,675 posts, read 11,533,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Pip View Post
Last night I asked him about the "dangerous" comment and he said it was slang. They say "dangerous" for anything and I am aware of that slang but because of other things, I didn't take it as something not as serious.
Oh what so for example..... " me and the boys are going out for a stag night on such and such a date ... It's gonna be " dangerous " ..."

Meaning it's going to be a crazy night out.... Just like you and I would say " it's gonna be mental " or " it's gonna get messy "..... Basically just a rather splendid night out!

Old 08-15-2016, 05:28 PM

1,351 posts, read 1,599,226 times
Lots of people, especially party-loving college-age guys and people in the entertainment industry, say "dangerous" as slang...it's generally not meant to be taken literally in that context. However, many people (but not all, not even close) tend to eventually grow out of that "crazy night out" phase of their lives...or at least do it a lot less frequently...once they get a bit older (late 20s or 30s or so). They'll still go out and have lots of fun and enjoy nightlife with their friends/girlfriend/etc, but they'll just tone down the wildness some. Those that don't tend to have maturity issues.

Many people, even those with a good head on their shoulders, have "that one friend" that may be a bit...awry or odd. Especially younger people. But with that said, this comment:

Quote:
...is right on the money. Likewise with Frihed's comment.

There's a reason why most decent folks, particularly once they reach their late 20s and older, tend to become more careful about who they associate and hang out with. They may still remain friends or acquaintances with that one unsavory person (especially if that friendship has been in place for many years...and perhaps that person has a couple of good qualities mixed in with the bad). But even then it's likely that there will be a gradual distancing or drifting apart.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships