Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2008, 07:56 PM

253 posts, read 1,740,729 times

Advertisements

I haven't seen this topic discussed before, so here goes. Have you, or someone you know, been in an unusual marriage? An example of unusual might be a marriage that lasted for one day (I imagine death could cause this), marrying someone and then never seeing them again (without death involved), or post-nuptially discovering major issues about your partner that turned your life upside down but you stuck with it anyway.

Here's mine, probably fairly common since the advent of Internet. I met somebody online from a country 10,000 miles away and we corresponded for over a year (only Internet, no telephone). This person took a vacation to the US and we decided to meet in Las Vegas (near where I lived at the time). We got married one day after meeting - hey, why the hell not? Nothing else going on in our lives. Immediately after the "wedding" this person flew on to Florida for the remainder of their vacation time.

It took me six months to organize a trip 10,000 miles away, and when I got there it didn't take long for me to realize what a stupid mistake I made. I did not like this person. I left, and six more months passed before I decided to give it a second chance. I made another trip and again couldn't stand being with my "spouse", so spent most of the month traveling alone around the country before returning to the US. A few months later, this person made a second trip to the US (to see me, supposedly) and it was then determined the marriage was not a match. The marriage was never consumated and I sat on the divorce for over a year before finally just getting it over with. The marriage cost $100, the divorce $400. The airfare and travel expenses...who knows, who cares.

Any other wacky stories?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2008, 08:59 PM

754 posts, read 1,449,299 times
I don't have one personally, but I know someone who vacationed in Thailand met a girl married her and brought her over to the US. They're still together (6 months later) but that's a huge leap of faith to marry someone who you haven't spent much quality time with. Chalk it up to experience.

Old 02-22-2008, 10:15 PM
TCK

166 posts, read 565,496 times
Default I felt like I was in twilight zone

I knew someone for years, dated them for four months then they moved and we long-distanced it for 7 months. Then had a big church wedding with mass. I sold my almost paid for house in FL, gave up my great work at home job with great pay and benefits and moved to the desert. Within two months was told that he loved me, thought I had a great personality, was smart and funny but was not attracted to me. But there was hope that it could happen

Old 02-22-2008, 10:20 PM

775 posts, read 579,164 times
I always wondered how it would be to be married to someone but live apart i.e. maybe just next door because of individual habits, tastes, decor, need for space.

Old 02-22-2008, 10:46 PM

2,410 posts, read 6,005,392 times
My aunt (who is gay) and her husband (who is bisexual) got married in Germany many many years ago, because a "gay hunt" was going on on their army base. They never divorced (neither one can afford it and they aren't worried about it anyway) and are best friends. They still visit eachother and have a great time.

Old 02-22-2008, 10:59 PM

14,725 posts, read 33,375,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by molochai2580 View Post
They never divorced (neither one can afford it and they aren't worried about it anyway) and are best friends. They still visit eachother and have a great time.
You almost know this variation will come up. You didn't say whether they still lived under the same roof and for how long they lived under the same roof. Did they have any kids? It sounds like this particular situation was for their "survival" and amicable, so it probably worked out for them without any kind of deceit.

Seriously, there are some couples out there where one likes "their own kind" and the other spouse DOESN'T CARE...they like the stability that comes from being married, or like many qualities about the other person, and DON'T CARE that the other spouse may be under the sheets with someone else.

The sexual rapport issue is pretty darn central to the whole equation. I don't know how it can be overlooked.

Old 02-23-2008, 06:39 AM

18,431 posts, read 34,364,652 times
Maybe mine was unusual.. in the fact that I dealt with it for way too long.

No, many people do that. Not so unusual.

Old 02-23-2008, 07:08 AM

672 posts, read 2,125,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flindras View Post
I always wondered how it would be to be married to someone but live apart i.e. maybe just next door because of individual habits, tastes, decor, need for space.
I'm gonna have to rep you over that post. I not only wonder about that, but am absolutely in LOVE with the idea!

Old 02-23-2008, 07:20 AM

151 posts, read 703,349 times
This part will not be so unusual: Met my husband who was living with a friend of mine. We all were friends for 1 year. He and I became attracted to one another, dated for 1, then married. Fought like a cat and a dog, but chemistry was undeniable, still is. Now we live under 2 different roofs, and spend the night together most nights.

Old 02-23-2008, 07:20 AM
TCK

166 posts, read 565,496 times
Default Oprah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis58 View Post
I'm gonna have to rep you over that post. I not only wonder about that, but am absolutely in LOVE with the idea!
In Oprah's book which I skimmed in a book store one day, mentioned that a lot of people do that....live apart. Seems to work for them. Guess you have housecalls. Nicholas Cage I believe has always lived separate from his wives or substantial other halves. Don't think any of those lasted.

When I was dating my first husband and we would go out and then have a good time...I always sent him on his way (even when engaged). I remember him telling me "when we are married, I'm not leaving". I thought it was odd but funny for him to say that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships