Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2016, 08:09 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,492,286 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butterflyfish View Post
A lot of woman who move in while hoping for a proposal someday, start doing more than their fair share of domestic chores. Perhaps they are trying hard to "pass the test" and show their bf what a great wife they will be. This is a really bad move that will back fire unless you enjoy being cheif cook and toilet cleaner for the rest of your life
Hmm! I'm chief cook, bottle washer, chauffer, pet minder, launderer and caregiver. I have been for years ever since my wife became disabled. But we've been married for 20 years and while not fun and stressful at times, her needs come first.

Before her disabilities hit she worked fulltime and we shared jointly in all household chores as that was appropriate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2016, 08:15 PM

30,902 posts, read 33,017,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
I really hate the concept here of manipulating someone into marrying you.

Don't you just want a guy who wants to marry you? Doesn't matter if you live with him or whatever.
I feel this way about it too. It feels so sad. She is afraid of him jumping ship from an engagement, she's afraid he will laze around just never bothering to marry her as if she's some sort of live-in help or something, she is/was afraid even to broach the subject with him, as if merely bringing it up might make him bolt...OP, really, this is the one? Are you sure? Because you sound so UNsure of him. I know you have invested a lot of time and your heart but...I don't know. Maybe you're the one who should be hesitating and thinking, not him. Maybe you're the one who should be slowing down (way way down) thoughts of an engagement right now (while you do some thinking), not pushing and hoping and bargaining for a "promise."

I know this wouldn't be easy bit the reality is, there probably is a great guy out there you wouldn't have to wrangle into uncertain promises. Someone who would want to commit to you, just because you are you.

Old 12-06-2016, 08:19 PM

30,902 posts, read 33,017,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
Hmm! I'm chief cook, bottle washer, chauffer, pet minder, launderer and caregiver. I have been for years ever since my wife became disabled. But we've been married for 20 years and while not fun and stressful at times, her needs come first.

Before her disabilities hit she worked fulltime and we shared jointly in all household chores as that was appropriate.
Obviously, this is not the situation (disability, but unhesitating responsibility toward the chores until that time) that anyone is talking about here.

Old 12-06-2016, 11:13 PM

5,751 posts, read 10,382,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbwindyusa1221 View Post
We can't agree on this. He wants to move together first to see how things going. But I want to get engaged first. I will feel more comfortable to move together after engagement.
I like the concept of dating and getting engaged before living together - but that worked well for me. I wouldn't do anything you're uncomfortable with, and I'd also not pressure him about a marriage timeline.

I disagree with the advice a couple needs to live together first to see if they're compatible. I remember reading once that the divorce rate was higher amongst those couples who cohabitated before marriage.

Old 12-07-2016, 06:04 AM

9,196 posts, read 7,236,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
That situation doesn't sound like two good people who love each other, it sounds like a business situation.
Agreed. They are not on the same page, and neither one of them should really have to negotiate this. The only solution is to either wait until they are on the same page (if ever), or cut their losses and move on.

Old 12-07-2016, 08:28 AM

77 posts, read 44,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cardiff Giant View Post
Personally, I wouldn't care if either of our families "looked down" on us for living our own lives. But I'm not a good Asian man, thankfully. I'm American, and I'm evil!

No disrespect.

Haha, my bf is ABC too. He has been influenced by American free will concept. But his Mom is a real Asian and she is very caring about us. I don't care the family will look down on me: he only has his Mom here and she is really nice to me, like a mom to daughter.

Old 12-07-2016, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCUBS1 View Post
I like the concept of dating and getting engaged before living together - but that worked well for me. I wouldn't do anything you're uncomfortable with, and I'd also not pressure him about a marriage timeline.

I disagree with the advice a couple needs to live together first to see if they're compatible. I remember reading once that the divorce rate was higher amongst those couples who cohabitated before marriage.
You should send me that article/paper haha so I could educate my bf

Old 12-07-2016, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms.Mathlete View Post
Agreed. They are not on the same page, and neither one of them should really have to negotiate this. The only solution is to either wait until they are on the same page (if ever), or cut their losses and move on.

I see some misunderstanding here. But thanks for the analysis. I'm not begging a marriage. Sometimes this topic should be brought up between a couple. Negotiation is a way to resolve conflict not a red flag of relationship. Even perfect relationship can't avoid conflict.

Old 12-07-2016, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAjerseychick View Post
well said- this isn't about the relative morality of living together before marriage or whether people (men and women ) should feel rushed into marriage-

but helping the OP clarify what SHE wants, and is willing to sacrifice...
It doesn't seem the man here is really being fair to her, knowing that her goal is a marriage and kids...
if she isn't the one for him, fine, but she already stated HE is the one for her....
Yes, I believe he is the one for me!
Well, actually I should move in 4 months ago but he rent out the first floor so I live with his relatives first. He is not very aggressive in fact he is shy as always. Every time it's me to bring up some ideas.

I don't mind to move together first. It's a test for both of us.

Old 12-07-2016, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butterflyfish View Post
A lot of woman who move in while hoping for a proposal someday, start doing more than their fair share of domestic chores. Perhaps they are trying hard to "pass the test" and show their bf what a great wife they will be. This is a really bad move that will back fire unless you enjoy being cheif cook and toilet cleaner for the rest of your life
My bf likes doing house chores. I guess I should ask him directly "are you trying to play house with me!"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships