Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2012, 07:08 AM

14,375 posts, read 18,377,781 times

Advertisements

I have an Ivy League degree, went to private school all my life, grew up solidly middle class - though many of my experiences have been atypical for my background. My roots and extended family are working class, and I'm the only one of 6 cousins in my generation to get a college degree so far. Until the age of 34 I'd never been on more than 2 dates with anyone who had a college degree. I was also bullied pretty severely throughout my middle school and high school experience, so I tend not to trust the upper middle class crowd very much with my emotions. I also tend to view guys from that kind of background as "untested" - what struggles have they overcome? Usually, the answer is "not much."

The guys I have dated have often barely graduated high school, but they've always been pretty smart (with an actual genius or two thrown in). I've never been intellectually bored with any of my significant others. Likewise, my adult cousins are all highly intelligent people, despite the lack of degrees among them. They have mad skills in the areas they choose to focus on though. I just can't put much stock in degrees or income, based on my own personal experience.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2012, 07:01 PM

10,449 posts, read 12,464,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by velociraptor View Post
IMO

A blue collar man should NEVER pursue a white collar woman.

By that I mean that a man should NEVER pursue a woman who earns more than him, EVER. Period.

The only time I'd consider it "ok" for a blue collar man to be with a white collar woman who earns more than him is IF the woman pursued him.

Men pursuing = Works to the womans advantage, by pursuing the man puts the woman on a pedstal.

BUT

It evens out when the man earns more money and that equals a healthy balanced relationship.

A relationship where the man earns less is not healthy, it's not balanced. The woman has every upper hand and the man has no "power" in the relationship... he is emasculated.
What is this, the 1950's?

Old 06-18-2012, 07:19 PM

48,532 posts, read 34,863,037 times
I know lots of blue collar guys who make six figures.

I also know white collar guys who have no interest in culture, or politics, or differing cuisines, and blue collar guys who are extremely well traveled, educated and very interesting to talk to.

Unless you're talking about trailer park meets old money, there are so many shades of gray I wouldn't arbitrarily rule someone out.

Old 06-18-2012, 07:38 PM

1,406 posts, read 2,723,264 times
First of all, the whole 'out of your league' thing is total crap (but that's a whole 'nother rant).
There are many, many individuals with white collar jobs that are total idiots and can't even hold a decent conversation and many individuals with blue collar jobs who are intellectually stimulating are genuinely good people (and vice versa). Saying that one social class is better/less than others is simply ignorant and misguided. The solution? Embrace diversity with open (non-judgmental) eyes; explore your surroundings.

Love is love, man.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships