Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2018, 07:32 AM

3,850 posts, read 4,168,904 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzhidao View Post
Yes the same guy...

Yah.. too much history... he ghosted me once, I dumped him twice.

So we'll see how the forth round goes.
That seems like an awful lot of drama right from the start. If you two were right for each other, it wouldn't be so complicated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2018, 10:23 AM

24,620 posts, read 19,237,896 times
Quote:
I posted here about the guy I'm currently going out with.

He's someone I met on Match and we had a back and forth relationship.

This time around, after 3 dates, I asked him to take down Match profile, he freaked out big time and didn't see me for 2 weeks.

After 2 weeks, he came back and we continued going out. And we pretended the conversation never happened.

We only see each other on weekends due to the distance. We've gone on a few weekend get always trips. But still no exclusive talk.

He's still on Match, Active.
Yeah, so?

Yours is not an exclusive relationship...you're still in the dating phase.

Asking him to take down his Match profile was a grotesque error on your part.

Hopefully, he'll forgive you that.

Quote:
I don't feel like I can see other people while he and I are going on dates.
Why not? You're only dating.

Quote:
But as the same time, not knowing where this is going make me wonder if I'm wasting my time and emotional investment.
I can see the problem right there.

You're way too clingy and controlling.

The best thing to do is to get into therapy and figure out why you're so clingy and controlling.

You should be going out with 2-4 guys every week. That doesn't mean having sex 2-4 times a week, it means going out.

And going out doesn't mean dinner and a movie. It means engaging in all types of activities, like going to the park, museums, volunteer activities, window shopping, sporting events, musical concerts, the symphony, the ballet, the opera, plays, political events, biking, hiking (skiing in season), to the beach, the lake, sitting at home watching TV or movies, and, yes, even dinner and a movie.

After you've done that for 4, 5, 6 or even 8 months, you might find that you're particularly attracted to a guy and you have a lot in common, plus you even have the same life goals right up through retirement.

That's when you pop "the question" -- Do you want an exclusive relationship?

If he says "yes" that's great, if not, then you'll have to decide if you want to continue dating or to pursue other interests.

Old 02-12-2018, 10:34 AM

1,178 posts, read 688,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
Yeah, so?

Yours is not an exclusive relationship...you're still in the dating phase.

Asking him to take down his Match profile was a grotesque error on your part.

Hopefully, he'll forgive you that.

Why not? You're only dating.

I can see the problem right there.

You're way too clingy and controlling.

The best thing to do is to get into therapy and figure out why you're so clingy and controlling.

You should be going out with 2-4 guys every week. That doesn't mean having sex 2-4 times a week, it means going out.

And going out doesn't mean dinner and a movie. It means engaging in all types of activities, like going to the park, museums, volunteer activities, window shopping, sporting events, musical concerts, the symphony, the ballet, the opera, plays, political events, biking, hiking (skiing in season), to the beach, the lake, sitting at home watching TV or movies, and, yes, even dinner and a movie.

After you've done that for 4, 5, 6 or even 8 months, you might find that you're particularly attracted to a guy and you have a lot in common, plus you even have the same life goals right up through retirement.

That's when you pop "the question" -- Do you want an exclusive relationship?

If he says "yes" that's great, if not, then you'll have to decide if you want to continue dating or to pursue other interests.

Bingo!

Old 02-12-2018, 10:46 AM

11,581 posts, read 6,776,574 times
Quote:
That makes sense... sorry for overreacting...

But he and I dated before and had sex before. He desperately wanted to keep seeing me but I broke things off.

So this time I just didn't feel like I need to hold off the sex. I haven't dated anyone since him and he looks so good, I actually kinda rushed into having sex again.

Well that's your first problem right there! You're trying to be exclusive and he obviously is not! But why should he be, you're giving in too easily! You'll learn eventually and until then this is what you get, sorry but true! Don't be so accessible, be more confident in your self and give yourself more respect! Do that and you'll find a guy who want s to be with only you and maybe even marry you!

Old 02-12-2018, 10:52 AM

23,177 posts, read 26,288,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CGab View Post
Well that's your first problem right there! You're trying to be exclusive and he obviously is not! But why should he be, you're giving in too easily! You'll learn eventually and until then this is what you get, sorry but true! Don't be so accessible, be more confident in your self and give yourself more respect! Do that and you'll find a guy who want s to be with only you and maybe even marry you!
Do you realize some women like sex and don't craftily hold it up as a negotiating tool?
As well as they don't lose respect for themselves for indulging in it?

Old 02-12-2018, 10:57 AM

49,926 posts, read 60,182,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post

Damn ... 4 guys a week?

That's a part-time job.

Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
Do you realize some women like sex and don't craftily hold it up as a negotiating tool?
As well as they don't lose respect for themselves for indulging in it?
Yeah, but those women are different from women who enjoy sex and secretly want the guy they enjoy it with to commit to them when he is not ready. It's nice if they respect themselves, but those women don't respect the guy.

Old 02-12-2018, 10:58 AM

8,925 posts, read 7,755,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CGab View Post
Withholding sex is not a good way to make a man or anyone respect/like you. Just like having sex with someone early on has no guarantee they'll stick around either.

Both approaches have their setbacks.

I don't know who came up with this "rule" that if you have sex with someone early on, you're automatically seen as an easy lay, and don't deserve respect. But it's not true for every man on the planet. It's best to avoid people who think like this.

Old 02-12-2018, 11:04 AM

336 posts, read 196,048 times
Have a face to face conversation with the guy. I know it takes courage, but its the right way to handle things. Dont be afraid to make yourself uncomfortable on occasion. Thats where life begins.

Old 02-12-2018, 11:06 AM

336 posts, read 196,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Auraliea View Post
Withholding sex is not a good way to make a man or anyone respect/like you. Just like having sex with someone early on has no guarantee they'll stick around either.

Both approaches have their setbacks.

I don't know who came up with this "rule" that if you have sex with someone early on, you're automatically seen as an easy lay, and don't deserve respect. But it's not true for every man on the planet. It's best to avoid people who think like this.
What you guys need to know, is that men who know whatsup, understand very well that a woman will usually sleep with a guy right away, if all the right conditions are met. Because of this, we dont respond well to women who want to make us wait, because we know very well that they didnt always wait, and becasue they didnt wait for these other guys, its not cool to make us wait.

Old 02-12-2018, 11:11 AM

23,177 posts, read 26,288,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John1981 View Post
Have a face to face conversation with the guy. I know it takes courage, but its the right way to handle things. Dont be afraid to make yourself uncomfortable on occasion. Thats where life begins.
Unless I've been reading the wrong thread, she HAS talked to him and is well aware he doesn't want to commit and has decided to end it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships