Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2018, 12:50 PM

30,902 posts, read 33,013,051 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovehound View Post
One word: cougar.
Well, except that according to the OP:

1. She's not the aggressive one or the pursuer. He is.
2. She's not seeking sex from him and is being clear that it isn't a date.
3. She isn't turned on by an the age difference. In fact she's avoiding any romantic association.

So...cougar how, exactly? Huh? She doesn't even want him. She has expressed so little (none, actually) romantic, much less sexual interest that he was down to trying to work his way into her apartment on some dumb pretext and plying her with alcohol as a last-ditch effort.

This describes a cougar situation? A woman who happens to be older, trying hard not to get raped by an incel?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2018, 12:56 PM

26,700 posts, read 41,753,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerZ View Post
Well, except that according to the OP:

1. She's not the aggressive one or the pursuer. He is.
2. She's not seeking sex from him and is being clear that it isn't a date.
3. She isn't turned on by an the age difference. In fact she's avoiding any romantic association.

So...cougar how, exactly? Huh? She doesn't even want him. She has expressed so little (none, actually) romantic, much less sexual interest that he was down to trying to work his way into her apartment on some dumb pretext and plying her with alcohol as a last-ditch effort.

This describes a cougar situation? A woman who happens to be older, trying hard not to get raped by an incel?
This sounds more like a hunter/poacher (OP) trying to kill an elephant or a rhino (woman in a vulnerable state) just to get ivory and leave the carcass of a beautiful creature behind with no remorse.

Old 07-18-2018, 01:01 PM

22,278 posts, read 21,737,640 times
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dissenter View Post
This sounds more like a hunter/poacher (OP) trying to kill an elephant or a rhino (woman in a vulnerable state) just to get ivory and leave the carcass of a beautiful creature behind with no remorse.
I think I like both of these descriptions equally.

Old 07-18-2018, 01:36 PM

The whole "cougar" thing is so weird to me because it assumes the woman must have been preying on innocent young things and can even apply to when the guy is 30+ and hardly a babe in the woods and unsuspecting "prey." Throw in the fact that I've literally heard of women four or five years "older" than men - with both at least in their late 30s, or older than that, they could have gone to the same friggin' high school, for God's sake - "cougars" as if Grandma is trolling around the local middle school in a broken-down ice cream truck looking for dates or something, and count me confused.

Plus, I can count on one hand the women I've known in my entire lifetime who have actively sought a young man situation specifically for that reason, but you can't swing a dead cat without hitting a 40something woman who's had 20something guys lathering all over her. It's far from rare that a much younger guy tries to jump an older woman, often thinking she'll be grateful or an amazing ride because she "knows her own body and doesn't play games" (read: she'll do anything out of desperation for attention, plus you don't even have to buy her a coffee).

So...older women preying, then sinking their claws in? Yeah, okay.

To me the whole "cougar" construct is a way to shame women to death by digging in OLDer, OLDer, OLDer constantly, to keep that in the forefront, because how dare women keep feeling sexy even after they're no longer 28. I hear guys on here quite a bit saying that when women are young they're wanted, then when they get oooooooooold nobody wants them and ha-ha, the tables are turned, in yo face, old lady! - and I think such people get PIZZED that actually, once we pass 30something, we're still sexy...that's unheard of...hence the jabs and shames.

But it's sort of done neg-style, pretending it's a compliment ("Oh, Terry Hatcher, what a SEXY cougar, rawr!") - again, to put in that shame and embarrassment but not look like the bad guy. It's like Negging 101, but not very subtly done.

Sad.

Old 07-18-2018, 01:49 PM

22,278 posts, read 21,737,640 times
Quote:
The whole "cougar" thing is so weird to me because it assumes the woman must have been preying on innocent young things and can even apply to when the guy is 30+ and hardly a babe in the woods and unsuspecting "prey." Throw in the fact that I've literally heard of women four or five years "older" than men - with both at least in their late 30s, or older than that, they could have gone to the same friggin' high school, for God's sake - "cougars" as if Grandma is trolling around the local middle school in a broken-down ice cream truck looking for dates or something, and count me confused.

Plus, I can count on one hand the women I've known in my entire lifetime who have actively sought a young man situation specifically for that reason, but you can't swing a dead cat without hitting a 40something woman who's had 20something guys lathering all over her. It's far from rare that a much younger guy tries to jump an older woman, often thinking she'll be grateful or an amazing ride because she "knows her own body and doesn't play games" (read: she'll do anything out of desperation for attention, plus you don't even have to buy her a coffee).

To me the whole "cougar" construct is a way to shame women to death by digging in OLDer, OLDer, OLDer constantly, to keep that in the forefront, because how dare women keep feeling sexy even after they're no longer 28. I hear guys on here quite a bit saying that when women are young they're wanted, then when they get oooooooooold nobody wants them and ha-ha, the tables are turned, in yo face, old lady! - and I think such people get PIZZED that actually, once we pass 30something, we're still sexy...that's unheard of...hence the jabs and shames.

But it's sort of done neg-style, pretending it's a compliment ("Oh, Terry Hatcher, what a SEXY cougar, rawr!") - again, to put in that shame and embarrassment but not look like the bad guy. It's like Negging 101, but not very subtly done.

Sad.
Yep, this is a good summary for guys who don't really get it. Cougar is far from a compliment. It's actually a shudder-inducer.

Old 07-18-2018, 01:51 PM

16,960 posts, read 17,348,750 times
Quote:

Sad.

I did a google search about cougars and didn't know they're was a feline scale, lmao smh

Old 07-18-2018, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zentropa View Post
Yep, this is a good summary for guys who don't really get it. Cougar is far from a compliment. It's actually a shudder-inducer.
Yup.

I can just imagine what would happen to men's egos if any guy five or six or more years "older" than his date was laughed at "encouragingly" with some name that constantly drove home how he was so old, but ha ha, look at that, unexpected fire in the furnace...from somebody so damned old.

AND you're hot! No, really. I'm not just strokin' ya. Hot, for your age, even though most guys as old as you just aren't attractive at all, I mean, as a general rule. In fact it's SO shocking that we're gonna make a whole new name for it!

You go boy, at your age, still dating? Rawr!

Oh God, the world would implode in a convulsion and cave in on itself.

Old 07-18-2018, 01:55 PM

49,927 posts, read 59,966,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zentropa View Post
I know the cougar thing was just a thoughtless comment tossed in here, but the question about, "Ew! Dude why would you get with a 45-yr-old ..." just reveals the lack of experience of the person who said it.

That someone would toss in an insult after that fact is not at all surprising.

Old 07-18-2018, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BirdieBelle View Post
I know the cougar thing was just a thoughtless comment tossed in here, but the question about, "Ew! Dude why would you get with a 45-yr-old ..." just reveals the lack of experience of the person who said it.

That someone would toss in an insult after that fact is not at all surprising.
That part doesn't surprise me as much. At that age you really DON'T know and frankly, as a 20something woman I would have said "eew" to a 45-year-old guy, too. I get that.

I'm not so worried about the natural "eew" factor to potentially doing it with someone your mother's or father's age, but this "cougar" thing is more of a deliberate "eew" (or at least, shock and awe...SHE'S sexy? At all? At her age????) implant in general for any woman over 40 even if she isn't significantly older than her date. That's what I find bizarre, and incredibly annoying. That assumes an "eew" for pretty much any woman over 40-ish, even if the guy is within a stones-throw age reach of her.

It's just a way of saying this entire age category is disgusting, full stop. THAT is ignorant. And on the one hand, so what, I guess...as I said, I'm 100% fine with a 20something guy being turned off at the thought of having sex with me, it's pretty mutual, it just wouldn't work (for me, I know this isn't everybody). But when a guy gets to be close to my age and is calling me a cougar because I'm a few years older, well, that's when you've gotta realize how socially acceptable it is to snark at women for daring to be sexual past "a certain age."

Last edited by JerZ; 07-18-2018 at 02:10 PM..

Old 07-18-2018, 02:10 PM

10,341 posts, read 5,869,177 times
Quote:
...when they get oooooooooold nobody wants them and ha-ha, the tables are turned, in yo face, old lady!
HaHaHa! That was an amazing bit of literary genius! Thanks for describing that phenomena so accurately

The tables are never turned though, once a douche, always a douche, and if one grows old gracefully, they just learn to appreciate the attention they've been embarrassed about earlier.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships