Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2019, 08:56 AM

98 posts, read 95,191 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCal_Native View Post
The same way the rest of us (fat, ugly, poor, stuttering, bald, deaf, short, paralyzed, boring, etc) guys did.
And how do guys like these do it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2019, 09:19 AM

13,480 posts, read 8,382,658 times
A lot of people with physical disabilities are married.

It just depends on the person.

Old 07-25-2019, 09:37 AM

4,286 posts, read 4,763,472 times
What hobbies do you have OP? Have you always these health issues? Did you have friends when you were a child or have you always had trouble making friends? If it's always been a challenge then I'd look for some books on how to improve your social skills.

Do you have a hearing aid? If you can't hear well that could be a problem if you miss what people are saying or can't understand them. If they say something and you don't respond because you didn't hear it, they may think you're ignoring them or are stuck up. I'd try to get your hearing addressed if at all possible because that could be a big part of the problem. In the meantime be up front, tell people you have hearing issues and if they say something and you don't respond it's because you didn't hear them and not because your ignoring them.

You may need to expand your social circle too so you can meet more people.

Old 07-25-2019, 10:47 AM

102,211 posts, read 107,931,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbioman23 View Post
Let me try to provide further information without giving too much away, and then ask a branch question off of this. I have a titanium rod femur and artificial knee, which is very sensitive to impact. I am unable to perform tasks most guys my age can do like play sports, lift heavy objects, go through highly intense workouts, and do yard/house work. I also have to be careful about going out and walking too far. I even have other lasting health effects from treatment I’ve been on such as a weaker heart and reduced hearing. I am a young adult that has to worry about things most people don’t have to worry about until they’re senior citizens. People for whatever reason seem to be turned off by this. How can I find a romantic relationship or friendships with all of these health limits?
Yet, you're ambulatory, right? Do you have a job, are you self-supporting? I would think, that if you can walk around, you could at least do small housekeeping tasks, like washing dishes, vacuuming or sweeping, raking the yard, running laundry through the washer, and ironing (if anyone irons anymore, lol). Playing sports and doing highly intense workouts aren't relevant in most romantic relationships. Nor is lifting heavy objects, really. The guys I knew in college and after, didn't play sports. You must be able to find people to be friends with, who don't care about that stuff.

What about your mind, OP? There are plenty of people out there, both men and women, who are into intellectual or creative types. And good-hearted types. Do you read a lot? Do you have interesting hobbies? Are you a good conversationalist, and do you have the potential to be a caring friend? These things count for a lot, with the right people.

Old 07-25-2019, 11:06 AM

2,557 posts, read 2,682,995 times
There are definitely people who won't date cause of a disability. Some people know better that you base it off the person and the experiences, but some people don't. People can still be just as capable just because they have a disability.

Don't let it hold you back. Focus on showing people what you can and do do. Don't sell yourself short!

Old 07-25-2019, 12:00 PM

9,952 posts, read 6,676,224 times
OP, I would imagine you have other issues than just having limited physical abilities. Most people aren’t playing sports and doing heavy lifting on dates. Having some problems with your knee shouldn’t prevent you from contributing around the house as most daily household tasks don’t involve a whole lot of lifting or intense walking. If the issue is that you are expected to be waited on hand and foot, then yes... that is a problem. However most people are able to make some adaptations to make tasks accessible to them.

Old 07-25-2019, 01:33 PM

1,768 posts, read 1,638,515 times
If you are a woman, NO!

If you are a man, YES!

Why?

https://medium.com/the-mission/women...s-9e09cf41d6c9

"He said, “Why do women have such a narrow band for dating and then complain there is no one out there?! Men date a wide spectrum of ages, incomes and heights. No date is dinged for being 5’5” or pursuing a career as a yogini.”

Charles was right. As long as a woman is kind, cute and brushes her teeth, she is considered eligible. This gives men a much wider pool of romantic candidates."

Men have no real standards, so a woman with a physical disability generally has no issues finding a relationship.

On the other hand, men with disabilities will have a much harder time finding relationships because women do have very narrow standards.

Source: Me, a 33 year old male with Cerebral Palsy

Last edited by tonym9428; 07-25-2019 at 01:41 PM..

Old 07-25-2019, 01:56 PM

6,793 posts, read 5,663,842 times
Only if you let it.

Old 07-25-2019, 02:30 PM

892 posts, read 484,517 times
only people who have a problem accepting that. then you get to find someone who doesn't, and that's better.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships