Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2011, 01:50 PM

7,829 posts, read 11,808,435 times

Advertisements

Looks do matter but i'm far more likely to cut some slack for someone I already know well through some other channel - for instance an activity partner or work colleague etc. since I believe that once you like their personality then the looks matter less, unless they are downright hideous!

With online dating looks matter a whole lot more since most have not yet got a chance to get to know the personality side of the equation so they use looks to make a key part of the decision in going forward or not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2011, 02:20 PM

188 posts, read 304,735 times
I think that looks matter a lot more than people are willing to admit. In online dating where you don't yet know the person's personality, looks can make the first strong impression. When you meet a person for the first time, how good you smell and what kind of clothes you wear can make a big difference.

I think that good-looking people have it easier with the opposite sex and in life in general.

Last edited by Mr. Freak; 11-18-2011 at 03:35 PM..

Old 11-18-2011, 02:46 PM

732 posts, read 1,047,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewdrop93 View Post
Truth be told - I like to be the pretty one!
Yes we all know...ad nauseum. You've told everyone all too many times how beautiful, desireable, dazzling, you are. Can you give it a break yet?

Old 11-18-2011, 03:25 PM

21,192 posts, read 25,198,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mandavaran View Post
Yes we all know...ad nauseum. You've told everyone all too many times how beautiful, desireable, dazzling, you are. Can you give it a break yet?
Hmm... that's weird - since I don't really think those things about myself and don't remember ever saying them...

To elaborate on liking to be the pretty one - I know some women like to date hot guys because they think it means that they themselves are attractive. Or they like to date hot guys because they like others to envy them. Or maybe they simply like hot guys. One of my exes was beautiful. When people would see his picture - they exclaim, "Oh my God! He's so hot! I mean - he's really hot! Wow!" and then they would back track and say - "You make such a beautiful couple!" It didn't make me feel like I was more attractive because a hot guy liked me - it made me feel less attractive - like people were shocked that I could get such a hot guy! Now, I liked this guy for who he was - not what he looked like - and his looks had nothing to do with why I broke up with him. But, being that I can be insecure with my looks (as I'm sure, most of us can be), it is my preference to be the "pretty one!"

Not sure why you have such a problem with me... Did you used to go by a different name? Or are you just jealous?

Old 11-19-2011, 08:51 AM

12,101 posts, read 17,121,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Humboldt1 View Post
I am starting this thread as I believe looks are very important in choosing who you are with on a romantic level. Many say looks don't matter so much which reminds me of one of my favorite quotes ever from Liar, Liar the movie.

"But Dad, my teacher says that everyone is beautiful on the inside.

Son, that is just what ugly people tell themselves to make themselves feel better."

Sad, but very telling of our society.
Why would you believe a socially constructed tenet to be 'sad' or 'unjustified', but then continue to advocate it?

I think that's the problem with our society. We realize the steps to make the world a better place and generally make ourselves happier, but nobody is willing to sacrifice or compromise to make it happen.

Old 02-10-2012, 10:28 AM

31,098 posts, read 22,143,475 times
Looks will get you in the door, Likeability will carry you into a relationship.

The divide between the two usually happens quite quickly for me. A beautiful woman who will start looking awfully unattractive within minutes if all she talks about is negatives

On the other end of the scale an average woman who can be light, entertaining and charming starts looking to be more attractive the longer I talk to her. This is the type of woman who I prefer!

Old 02-10-2012, 10:37 AM

9,016 posts, read 13,860,864 times
I like ugly fat guys with big guts. The bigger and fatter the guy the better for me.

Unfortunately,ugly guys don't look my way.

Old 02-10-2012, 10:48 AM

3,083 posts, read 4,881,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseygal4u View Post
I like ugly fat guys with big guts. The bigger and fatter the guy the better for me.

Unfortunately,ugly guys don't look my way.
well the fact you go out of your way to purposely get with fat ugly guys (your words) indicates some form of insecurity on your part. No one seeks out below par, unless they feel thats all they can get.

Now being attracted to someone who most people find ugly is different than actively seeking out someone who YOU also find ugly and fat...IMO

Old 02-10-2012, 11:11 AM

179 posts, read 308,935 times
Looks matter, but the kind of woman that I consider the most attractive differs from some guys. Also, those body parts most women hate or try to "fix" I tend to like...example:

1. Belly - I like just a little bit of a poochy little belly, most women who have one would do anything to get rid of it in my experience.

2. Cute, girl next door looks goes a lot farther with me than "supermodel" looks.

3. There is NOTHING WRONG with having pubic hair (granted, this isn't something you should be seeing anyway for a while!)

Old 02-10-2012, 11:15 AM

9,016 posts, read 13,860,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by darrensmooth View Post
well the fact you go out of your way to purposely get with fat ugly guys (your words) indicates some form of insecurity on your part. No one seeks out below par, unless they feel thats all they can get.

Now being attracted to someone who most people find ugly is different than actively seeking out someone who YOU also find ugly and fat...IMO
No,I find it sexually appealing.

Maybe if more guys thought like this they would have less lonely nights.
I mean,who goes out with men or women above par? Now that's a problem.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships