Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2022, 02:27 PM

53 posts, read 40,933 times

Advertisements

My advice to you would be to end this relationship like now. It seems your boyfriend is not physically attracted to you. Ask him why is he with you if all he does is bring you down? Though (as you mentioned) this does not make you insecure but as someone mentioned later on down the road will take its toll.

No one wants to be put down by someone who is supposed to be there for them.

Good luck!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2022, 02:51 PM

9 posts, read 6,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by latincoffee View Post
My advice to you would be to end this relationship like now. It seems your boyfriend is not physically attracted to you. Ask him why is he with you if all he does is bring you down? Though (as you mentioned) this does not make you insecure but as someone mentioned later on down the road will take its toll.

No one wants to be put down by someone who is supposed to be there for them.

Good luck!
I'v asked, and he just keeps saying that he is attracted to me. Sometimes I feel that he is maybe feeling that even I'm not good looking enough in his eyes, but I'm 18 years younger than he is, and that makes me "best he can get" for him

Last edited by Helgarakas; 06-21-2022 at 03:10 PM.. Reason: Typos

Old 06-21-2022, 05:16 PM

6,875 posts, read 4,877,055 times
Snort! Why exactly is this guy your boyfriend? You haven't made him sound like a prize. You haven't made him seem special in any way. Do you feel you can't do better so you'll just put up with a
half-azzed bf?

Old 06-21-2022, 05:23 PM

11,169 posts, read 10,653,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Helgarakas View Post
I'v asked, and he just keeps saying that he is attracted to me. Sometimes I feel that he is maybe feeling that even I'm not good looking enough in his eyes, but I'm 18 years younger than he is, and that makes me "best he can get" for him

That makes you the "best he can get" for what, to breakdown & control?

If you stay, that's the best {treatment} you'll end up with.

Old 06-21-2022, 05:40 PM

10,341 posts, read 5,870,295 times
My ex husband made comments like that. After our baby was born I started working out and going for walks, I only lost about 30 lbs, but it was a big difference. He never gave me any support or compliments, just asked: “What do you think is going to happen? You’re going to be a supermodel?”

It was at a time he was really insecure and involved in some things that were going to end out marriage. I assume he didn’t want me to think I looked too good, or get any “ideas” that other men would find me attractive. Abusive men sometimes play the: “who else wants you, you’re lucky you’re with me.” Kind of game.

No point arguing, just leave.

Old 06-21-2022, 07:21 PM

10,503 posts, read 7,048,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Helgarakas View Post
I feel like my boyfriend has some need to put me down.

If I tell him that some guy smiled me at the street, he asks "Really, even you are looking like that?"

When we were watching some nonsense videoclip where people were ranking each others by looks, he said that he would rank me as 6.

When I showed pictures with my friends kid, he said "Is that really you? Really nice picture. I couldn't regonice you from that". Then he started to talk about how he didin't regonice me from my* Facebook profile picture either, and that's really nice photo of me, usualy profile pictures are. I don't use photoshop or filters.

When I'v been talking about how insulting these kind of comments are, he just can't see it. My self-esteem is not going to be damaged from he's words but I think that that kind of behavior is to damaging our relationship. I woul like to feel loved and respected, but this feels just bad and unrespectful.

Any opinions? All these comments have been said within a month, and none of these would be so bad if they were the only ones. He calls me beatifull when I'm wearing lots of makeup or just before he wants sex.

Why put up with this? Remember that when you're dating someone, they are always on their best behavior. And if this is his best behavior, it's going to get worse, not better.

Be with someone who treasures you enough to always be kind. Not some a-hole.

Old 06-21-2022, 07:45 PM

4,005 posts, read 4,108,191 times
OP: He treats you as though you are filling in until someone else (not necessarily better, because I don’t think his guy is capable of “better”) comes along. And he keeps treating you that way, because you allow it to happen.

You say that he is your boyfriend. Does he call you his girlfriend? He might not even think of you in those terms. He might think of you same same way his thinks of that chair over there.

Unless there is some kind of situation, you don’t have to put up with it. And frankly, it might eventually get abusive to be the point that you HAVE to get out. Don’t wait for that time to come when you might have to grab up a couple of kids to take with you.

Old 06-21-2022, 08:16 PM

29,522 posts, read 22,674,035 times
move on

Old 06-21-2022, 08:27 PM

30,902 posts, read 33,017,046 times
He's insecure. He thinks if you feel unattractive then you'll think you're lucky to have him, and then you'll never leave.

I'd leave...

Old 06-22-2022, 09:37 AM

631 posts, read 400,184 times
Sounds to me like he's jealous of your youth and is putting you down in fear you'll get "ideas" about yourself and find someone closer to your own age. You probably are "the best he can get" and this would give you the upper hand, so don't let him strip you of your self esteem (which he will do if you put up with this treatment much longer).

Just end it and wish him well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships