Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2022, 11:47 AM

11,081 posts, read 6,898,296 times

Advertisements

Yeah, and you at least wish happy birthday and get a card - no, actually a GIFT would be more appropriate for someone you're intimate with (I don't care how brief a time you've been seeing someone). It doesn't have to be something expensive or momentous, but something to show you care. Again, you played it way too cool.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2022, 11:56 AM

7,928 posts, read 3,477,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by livelifeata View Post
Last week, i text her Tuesday asking if she wants to go out with our mutual friends again on Sat. she initially says yes lets go. then i ask her if she wants to spend the night together like last time. she disappears. texts me 3 days later that there's a covid case in her family and she thinks she got it, shes not feeling well. i reply "okay no problem" and leave it at that. Think it might be true but not sure, no stories of any outings posted on IG. was last saturday. Have not heard from her since, its always been me reaching out, i have not reached out and neither has she.

Should i try to reach out again or just walk away for good? I'm just frustrated with the fact that 1) she never initates out if i dont, 2) i feel like shes lost interest with the late replies, cancelation last date, and the fact that we have barely spoken in the past 10+ days.
You might've scared her off with the request to spend the night. Sometimes it's better to let that happen naturally instead of trying to arrange it beforehand. If you do want to keep contact with her, try texting her to see how her family's doing with the covid, and take it from there.

Old 08-01-2022, 12:03 PM
bu2

24,108 posts, read 14,899,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxic Waltz View Post
You might've scared her off with the request to spend the night. Sometimes it's better to let that happen naturally instead of trying to arrange it beforehand. If you do want to keep contact with her, try texting her to see how her family's doing with the covid, and take it from there.
That was my thought. Sounded like you were assuming a lot and moving REALLY quickly.

But maybe she's just not interested anymore. If she is shy, she is not likely to initiate things, so if you are interested, try again, but don't be too anxious and pushy.

Old 08-01-2022, 12:15 PM

Right. If I were the female in this situation, I would appreciate a nice birthday card (no gift at this point - obviously) saying that you regret not being at her birthday celebration, and asking how she and her family are.

I would do this regardless of whether she's still interested or not. It's just the right thing to do. And who knows, you may even repair the situation.

In other words, if you're going to "give it another shot" do it the right way. No talk of sex or spending the night, no acting cool (and therefore distant), no questions or statements about not having been in contact.

Old 08-01-2022, 12:52 PM

22,278 posts, read 21,740,695 times
How did you offer to celebrate her birthday since you were "busy" on the day of her party? Did you even send her a birthday message?

You seem to be a pretty low-effort guy when it comes to sustaining friendships.

Old 08-01-2022, 12:55 PM

13 posts, read 7,325 times
To make things a bit clearer,

1) reason why i didnt go on that said sunday is because I didn't want to appear too available. We already agreed to Saturday and then her friend text me saying Sunday is better, and i didnt want to give the impression that i have nothing going on, on a 4th of july weekend. So i went out that friday/sat with different people and was actually available sunday. That was probably a mistake i agree, but it was a month ago. I did text her "happy birthday" on the day.

2) i agree that i could have responded differently to someone in her family possibly having covid, but i really didnt like the way she handled things. She didn't even offer to reschedule or say she's sorry for not being able to make it. And the disappearing, texting me 3 days later. ”no problem” probably wasn't the best response, but it was in the moment.

I also agree that asking her if she's staying the night was a wrong move. My friend asked me to ask her, so we can plan something that Sunday too, and since we did it once, didn't think it would be a deal-breaker.

At this point im really tempted to reach out and try to set another date up, but i have mixed feelings about it. Feel like i really haven nothing to lose at this point, though.

Old 08-01-2022, 01:02 PM

22,278 posts, read 21,740,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by livelifeata View Post
To make things a bit clearer,

1) reason why i didnt go on that said sunday is because I didn't want to appear too available. We already agreed to Saturday and then her friend text me saying Sunday is better, and i didnt want to give the impression that i have nothing going on, on a 4th of july weekend. So i went out that friday/sat with different people and was actually available sunday. That was probably a mistake i agree, but it was a month ago. I did text her "happy birthday" on the day.

2) i agree that i could have responded differently to someone in her family possibly having covid, but i really didnt like the way she handled things. She didn't even offer to reschedule or say she's sorry for not being able to make it. And the disappearing, texting me 3 days later. ”no problem” probably wasn't the best response, but it was in the moment.

I also agree that asking her if she's staying the night was a wrong move. My friend asked me to ask her, so we can plan something that Sunday too, and since we did it once, didn't think it would be a deal-breaker.

At this point im really tempted to reach out and try to set another date up, but i have mixed feelings about it. Feel like i really haven nothing to lose at this point, though.
Please don't! I think you are too self-focused to be dating at the moment. Maybe work on your empathy a bit.

Old 08-01-2022, 01:02 PM

In any case, you should still demonstrate some social graces by wishing a belated happy birthday and asking how she and her family are after Covid.

Old 08-01-2022, 01:16 PM

6,873 posts, read 4,877,055 times
I'm too cool to not have something going on for the fourth of July. @@

If anyone bothered to think about it at all, which is highly unlikely - most people spending more time wrapped up in what other people are thinking of them than they do thinking about other people - they might just as easily assumed you changed other plans to attend the birthday party.

For the future... Instead of trying to act cool, relax and act like yourself. Once you stop caring so much about having an image, and what other people might think about you...then you are on your way to cool.

Seeing as you have mutual friends, you could take the opportunity to tell them in casual conversation that you liked her but didn't think she was interested. No telling if it would get back to her, but if it did it might clue her in. She could be just as hapless as you about what's going on or how to express what she wants.
Unless you somehow perceive that as showing weakness to your friends, heaven forbid. In which case she's better off without you.

Old 08-01-2022, 01:19 PM

2,535 posts, read 3,103,423 times
reason why i didnt go on that said sunday is because I didn't want to appear too available..
This is utterly idiotic. You were available!

Also: you might try referring to women, rather than “girls.”
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships