Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: 52yr. old dating 20yr. old. Your opinion?
Yes 34 30.36%
No 55 49.11%
Casual dating is acceptable 14 12.50%
Other 9 8.04%
Voters: 112. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-15-2022, 05:37 PM

1,702 posts, read 785,411 times

Advertisements

I don’t concern myself with other peoples relationships if they are both adults. Such relationships, as the OP refers to, may stand out because they aren’t as common as those who are close in age but so what.

I am only 4 years and 3months older than my DW. But I turned 25 while she was still 20 and my future father-n-law didn’t approve of this age disparity. This made zero difference to me or DW and we continued to see each other, and though this was quite a bit different than a 30 year age difference, the negative feedback felt the same. Anyway, 12 years married (17 together total) and 2 kids later, none of this matters between a now 41 and a 37 year old.

OP, whether you are asking this as a hypothetical or an actual issue, date any adult you want who also wants you. She may be older younger or the same age as you, but if you click…you click.

Last edited by SerlingHitchcockJPeele; 09-15-2022 at 05:45 PM..

Old 09-16-2022, 09:27 AM

8,693 posts, read 3,883,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SerlingHitchcockJPeele View Post
OP, whether you are asking this as a hypothetical or an actual issue, date any adult you want who also wants you.
Key point being, how many of us see a twenty-year-old/college-aged girl as an ‘adult’ (or would be physically/emotionally attracted to such)? That said, as a man in my forties, I’d definitely have a problem with a 52 year-old-man pursuing my niece; and so would he.

Old 09-16-2022, 10:54 AM

52,305 posts, read 52,748,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CorporateCowboy View Post
Key point being, how many of us see a twenty-year-old/college-aged girl as an ‘adult’ (or would be physically/emotionally attracted to such)? That said, as a man in my forties, I’d definitely have a problem with a 52 year-old-man pursuing my niece; and so would he.
I would tend to agree, as I've said in this thread.

Expand on why you would have a problem with someone that age pursuing a 20 yr old. I said upthread that I think a man that is 52, I'm 53, so I'm in that age range, that I think that a guy pursuing a woman that young is on some level stunted.

I mean let's get past the yeah, she's young and hot nonsense, that's been said already. Twenty is just a kid to me, I mean just a couple of years out of HS and I can't imagine really having anything in common to talk about with a 30 plus year age gap.

It's not even as much as that, it's the base age of 20.

I probably wouldn't think as much bout it if it were 62 and 30. That is a bit odd, but I don't know, makes more sense.

It's just that base number of 20 that makes me pucker up.

Again, for the umpteenth time, I'm talking about me, others can do as they please.

Old 09-16-2022, 11:02 AM

2,980 posts, read 1,653,627 times
When I was twenty I wasn't interesting enough for a fifty-two year old man to be interested in me.

And I still looked like a teenager.

No older man ever expressed any interest in dating me. Although the summer I was 21 at a party at American University an older professor and I got into such a deep conversation his wife came over and sat beside him.

She didn't need to worry, I wasn't the slightest bit interested although he was interesting to talk to.

Old 09-16-2022, 02:11 PM

8,693 posts, read 3,883,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
I would tend to agree, as I've said in this thread. Expand on why you would have a problem with someone that age pursuing a 20 yr old.
I was responding to SerlingHitchcock who indicated the OP/a 52 year-old-man should date any adult he wants; hence my comment re: those of us who are psychologically healthy wouldn’t consider a 20-year-old college-aged girl an adult nor be emotionally/physically attracted to such. That said, I’ve previously expanded on why I would have a problem with someone that age specifically pursuing my niece (relative to a power imbalance/detrimental situation) as well as why I wouldn’t personally date a girl of 20 (despite being several years younger than 52). I don’t care (nor notice) what strangers do. I copied a few previous posts of mine, below, rather than reiterate.

Quote:
I’m in my forties, and I can’t see a twenty-year-old as anything but a kid; thirty would be about the youngest woman I personally would date. However, per your question, I would neither care nor give it a second thought relative to anyone I didn’t know i.e. it’s bizarre the thought/effort (or anger) some place on age difference, attractiveness/chemistry, wealth, and/or whether or not a couple ‘should’ date, as evidenced by the numerous threads relative to such.

That said, it’s a bit different if it were someone I knew personally (such as my niece, although she isn’t 20 yet) regarding a ridiculous age difference/imbalance of power i.e. I’d probably speak directly to her about it (and assume her parents would as well).
Quote:
She may or may not be delicate or naive; I think the point, however, is there are those of us who would never have a physical relationship with a kid - even if we are attracted to/date younger women, as a whole. Key point being, ‘woman’ - not college girl. I dated college girls when I was in college, lol.

In other words, the issue is not the 20-year-old girl; the joke is the 52-year-old man i.e. the perception is he’s socially/sexually lacking relative to other adults or is a predator of sorts.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
I probably wouldn't think as much bout it if it were 62 and 30. That is a bit odd, but I don't know, makes more sense.
Personally, as a man in my forties, I wouldn’t be attracted to any woman who is desperate, unattractive, dependent (or greedy) enough to be interested in a man who is 32 years older than her, lol. Bottom line, attractive/hot women who are sincere/psychologically well don’t date men who are 30+ years older than they are, as a whole. They simply don’t need to.

Last edited by CorporateCowboy; 09-16-2022 at 02:40 PM.. Reason: added quote

Old 09-16-2022, 08:23 PM

407 posts, read 343,034 times
A 52 year old guy dating a woman in her 20s is considered immoral and perverted. The only women in their 20s who would date a guy that age are the ones that are mentally ill. A woman in her 20s will never be genuinely attracted to a guy in his 50s no matter how strong, good looking and healthy he is.

Old 09-16-2022, 08:25 PM

5,455 posts, read 3,393,839 times
It happens all the time and it's not for us to judge other people's lives.

Old 09-16-2022, 09:46 PM

407 posts, read 343,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kitty61 View Post
It happens all the time and it's not for us to judge other people's lives.
It does not happen. I am just stating the reality.

Old 09-16-2022, 10:23 PM

52,305 posts, read 52,748,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysan89 View Post
It does not happen. I am just stating the reality.
In the real world it's not that common at all. My dad had a buddy that was 70 ish and his wife was 49 or so.

Mrs. Chow's mom and dad were 12 yrs apart. But in my whole life of people I've seen in public and people in my circle it was pretty rare.

The caveat being was the younger person wasn't 20 or even late 20s.

Old 09-17-2022, 03:26 AM

6,957 posts, read 6,886,653 times
I think you will find that many of us have strange or bizarre likes, dislikes, habits, and opinions. These are seeded by our upbringing, education, religion, beliefs, culture and morals.

We only have to look at the media, newspapers, internet, and daily news to see how this is true, so ANYONE who is making judgements about this and other strange and unusual behaviours is not living in the real world. Or, at least they live in a very small backwater of the real world.

As the old saying goes - you dont know someone until you close doors with them (ie: you live with them) because people do not show you their real self and their real personalities until you have lived with them for a while. Even then, if they are clever they do not reveal themselves. That is why so many shooters have been described as 'nice people' whereas they had these anti-social thoughts and beliefs which caused them to go on the shooting rampage and become killers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.