Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2022, 07:07 AM

23,177 posts, read 12,223,977 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rugratnyc View Post
We didn’t have a date but would we need to have a date in the past in order to have interest in one another now? People fall for people they meet online everyday who they don’t have any connection or mutual friends with let alone seen one another in person prior to wanting to date another
Not necessarily but it would make more sense in why he would suddenly be interested now if there was some history. If you didn't have that mutual attraction before, why now. I think most of the people who fall in love online are just filling a void in their life and in love with the idea of being in love. Without that direct close contact, it's easier to see them as the person you want them to be not the person they are.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2022, 07:52 AM

11,067 posts, read 6,887,781 times
There is a guy from my high school who messages me on Classmates and now Facebook. I remember him as a really nice, very sweet affable guy that I would kid around with. I think his wife is probably a lucky woman. Because he is married I take my time responding. I think it's harmless and he's probably bored and seeking fond memories/connections. I sometimes do the same. Sometimes people respond and sometimes they don't. I also think he probably messages a lot of other people, and not just women. Bored with retirement and seeking connection.

OP you need to find out if he's married or in a relationship. I don't like long distance relationships and that's just one of many reasons I don't do OLD. I'm not willing to uproot myself for a relationship and I wouldn't want to lay that on anyone else, either. Most people have an established setup where they are, and uprooting is a hassle not to mention a gamble.

Old 10-14-2022, 08:35 AM

204 posts, read 111,804 times
He isn’t in a relationship. Him and his girl friend broke up sometime last year.

Old 10-14-2022, 09:31 AM

20,764 posts, read 19,976,767 times
Okay, you got plenty of input - whatchagonnado???

Old 10-14-2022, 09:45 AM

30,253 posts, read 23,742,275 times
Quote:
Part of me feels like I already made the move by saying what I said. If he was into me wouldn't he have said it then? I overthink a lot

How would a guy feel if someone he was interested in said this to him? and what would their reaction be
No you didn't. You told him you had a crush. The fact that he responded "me too" when you said you were more reserved back then, but nothing else came from it, means he isn't interested enough to pursue anything.

Old 10-14-2022, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
No you didn't. You told him you had a crush. The fact that he responded "me too" when you said you were more reserved back then, but nothing else came from it, means he isn't interested enough to pursue anything.

I guess I’ll do nothing because I do feel like the last part of what you said is true

Old 10-14-2022, 11:25 AM

4,027 posts, read 3,308,084 times
Quote:
I guess I’ll do nothing because I do feel like the last part of what you said is true
How often does a guy really like a woman and the woman involved is just unsure about his intentions? Guys when they are interested generally are pretty direct about it. So there is that.

Additionally how many actual relationships start between people living in different states? Again long distance generally means ultimately no relationship. A booty call between friends maybe. If you are down with that, great, but generally this is not the foundation for a relationship.

Long distance relationships generally occur when one partner needs to be gone for a certain period of time, maybe college or traveling a lot for work, deployment in the military. But usually they starting with dating in person first.

Old 10-14-2022, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shelato View Post
How often does a guy really like a woman and the woman involved is just unsure about his intentions? Guys when they are interested generally are pretty direct about it. So there is that.

Additionally how many actual relationships start between people living in different states? Again long distance generally means ultimately no relationship. A booty call between friends maybe. If you are down with that, great, but generally this is not the foundation for a relationship.

Long distance relationships generally occur when one partner needs to be gone for a certain period of time, maybe college or traveling a lot for work, deployment in the military. But usually they starting with dating in person first.
I don’t agree with your statement about guys being direct with girls they are interested in. Not all guys are super confident some are shy and introverts, guys are just like girls and some are scared of rejection. They don’t always shoot their shot

Old 10-14-2022, 02:11 PM

2,977 posts, read 1,647,168 times
Quote:
I don’t agree with your statement about guys being direct with girls they are interested in. Not all guys are super confident some are shy and introverts, guys are just like girls and some are scared of rejection. They don’t always shoot their shot
Is this friend of yours like that? If he's a mature man, he probably isn't. He's also at this age used to initiating things with women he's interested in and won't collapse in a heap of mortification if turned down.

It's been my experience and observation that when men are interested in a woman, they act on it. They make it known.

That doesn't mean your friend isn't interested in you though. He might think the distance makes getting together unrealistic.

There's no reason for you not to initiate something though. If I were in this situation I'd come up with something un-datey to do, maybe something where you both meet in the middle of wherever you both live, a daytime activity. See what happens.

After my husband and I'd known each other as friends for a year or so, he asked me to co-host a party he was giving for our social circle. We went around talking to everyone (50+ people), held hands a few times and basically stuck together through the whole party. It was a great way for us to be together socially but not really on a date. I've always thought that was such a creative way to ask someone to spend time together without the pressure of being on a "date." We saw each other through the next week and our official first date was the following weekend.

Maybe you could think of something similar (not a party obvs) that could give you two some time together but not a date.

PS. Bet he does like you.

Old 10-14-2022, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RubyandPearl View Post
Is this friend of yours like that? If he's a mature man, he probably isn't. He's also at this age used to initiating things with women he's interested in and won't collapse in a heap of mortification if turned down.

It's been my experience and observation that when men are interested in a woman, they act on it. They make it known.

That doesn't mean your friend isn't interested in you though. He might think the distance makes getting together unrealistic.

There's no reason for you not to initiate something though. If I were in this situation I'd come up with something un-datey to do, maybe something where you both meet in the middle of wherever you both live, a daytime activity. See what happens.

After my husband and I'd known each other as friends for a year or so, he asked me to co-host a party he was giving for our social circle. We went around talking to everyone (50+ people), held hands a few times and basically stuck together through the whole party. It was a great way for us to be together socially but not really on a date. I've always thought that was such a creative way to ask someone to spend time together without the pressure of being on a "date." We saw each other through the next week and our official first date was the following weekend.

Maybe you could think of something similar (not a party obvs) that could give you two some time together but not a date.

PS. Bet he does like you.
That could happen, he is only a couple hours away driving from me. At the same time I’m wondering if he is even interested. I’ve gotten a lot of mixed reviews here lol.

If he was interested im wondering if he would’ve said more? Him also sayin he was reserved is mixed because I didn’t know if he meant back in college days she was reserved or if he is now. I also didn’t ask for clarification and now I think it might be to late to ask
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships