Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-22-2022, 09:16 AM

61,661 posts, read 87,041,175 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lepoisson View Post
Every woman I've ever been with has taken food off my plate and often without asking. I've had women try it on a first date!
EVERY woman??

If EVERY woman does that, perhaps you should order two plates, just in case??

Otherwise, give them rest of your plate and order for yourself another one.

Not sure why is this happening to you. It's not really happening to me...
But I would KNOW how to handle it.
By now you should too...
Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2022, 10:36 AM

6,160 posts, read 5,707,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nut4sweets View Post
People sometimes just make a mountain out of a molehill. I think it’s just a normal, affectionate gesture between loving couples. If you’re not even willing to share your foods with your woman, what else would you share with her? My SO and I share foods all the time. Sometimes, we like both courses so we ordered both and eat off each other’s plate. Today, my SO went out to a new sandwich place, and he told me how delicious it was. The portion was very generous so he saved half for later. When he picked me up from my appointment, he told me about it. I just said how yummy, and he just handed it to me and said “you can have it if you like”. When we eat something that we think delicious, we usually feed the other too.
I guess it's one of those things that seems trivial but when it happens enough, it becomes a major problem. It's also a nuanced timing issue.

What's okay:
Me: I'm going to get us some Chinese takeout for dinner. Want anything?
Her: Yes, please get me some fried rice.

This is okay to me because we are eating at home and portions are large and easily shared and it was established when we were ordering that we would be sharing.

What's not okay:
Me: I'm going to McDonalds. Want anything?
Her: Nope, I'm not hungry right now.
Her later: Those look good! Can I have some fries?
Or even worse, her just taking the fries without asking.

There have also been times where someone has taken food off my plate before they even tried the dish they ordered! I've also been asked to switch dishes because mine looks and tastes better.

Old 10-22-2022, 12:05 PM

15,945 posts, read 12,279,929 times
It's a test to see how dominant you are and how you will react to the situation. They want to see if you're going to get angry and butt hurt, let them do it like a pushover, or playfully push their hand away and tease them, or simply how you might react in general. It gives them a general idea as to what kind of man you are. It's really not that hard to figure out but for a lot of men it is.

A struggle for dominance is wired into our species genetic makeup. Human beings still act very much in tune with their animal instincts. For women it's really fun to have their man play with them in this manner and not take things too seriously. It's a sign of a man who is grounded and confident in himself.

If you don't want them to do it, don't let them do it. Personally I'm the type of man where we'd both be picking food off each other's plates. I don't care. I like the variety.

Last edited by sholomar; 10-22-2022 at 12:23 PM..

Old 10-22-2022, 01:02 PM

4,025 posts, read 3,303,002 times
Quote:
Every woman I've ever been with has taken food off my plate and often without asking. I've had women try it on a first date! The most annoying part is when I ask "hey, I'm going to go grab some takeout. Would you like anything?" and she says no she isn't hungry. But when I get home all of the sudden she's hungry and starts eating off my plate and sometimes asks if she can eat half. Of course I get irritated, then she acts like I'm the bad guy for not offering some of my food.

Most of my male friends have told me that their female partners do this as well, so it doesn't just seem like my bad luck.

Have you experienced this in a relationship? Do men do this as well?
In a dating context, I would mostly say that if a woman feels close enough to eat off your plate and just generally share food it is a good sign she feels pretty comfortable around you, where as acting butthurt about this makes you seem a little off.

In a relationship context, I just don't care one way or the other.

Old 10-22-2022, 02:33 PM

26,700 posts, read 41,727,010 times
Frankly, I’d see this behavior as a very bad sign. If you are willing to take my food from my plate without my permission, what else are you willing to violate and do without my permission or consent?

Old 10-22-2022, 02:55 PM

6,160 posts, read 5,707,766 times
I wonder if the people in this thread who act like it's no big deal are women or are people who regularly do this. Just curious...

Honestly, I'm not sure why it bothers me, but it does. Maybe it's just our animal instinct to guard our food. I think it's also disrespectful to take something off someone's plate without asking, especially when you barely know the person. It's even more disrespectful to continue doing it after there has already been a discussion about it. These people have no boundaries.

Old 10-22-2022, 03:14 PM

4,025 posts, read 3,303,002 times
Quote:
I wonder if the people in this thread who act like it's no big deal are women or are people who regularly do this. Just curious...

Honestly, I'm not sure why it bothers me, but it does. Maybe it's just our animal instinct to guard our food. I think it's also disrespectful to take something off someone's plate without asking, especially when you barely know the person. It's even more disrespectful to continue doing it after there has already been a discussion about it. These people have no boundaries.
FWIW, I don't generally don't grab other people's food, but sharing food generally doesn't bother me unless we are talking about double dipping or if I think the other person didn't wash their hands before eating. If I had a discussion though with a person and they disregarded my feelings, the fact that they disregarded my feelings here would bother me.

Old 10-22-2022, 03:15 PM

32,636 posts, read 47,995,345 times
I don't understand why this is not a simple communication issue. If you don't want the ladyfingers riffling around in your dinner, tell her that you don't like it and she is to stop doing it. That would put a stop to the problem.

The guy whose girlfriend said she didn't want anything but that she would just nibble off of his fries, why can' he say "No. I don't like it when you take food off of my plate, so if you want fries, say so now and I will get you fries. If you don't want me to get fries for you, do not take the ones I get for myself."

What is so difficult about that?

Old 10-22-2022, 03:36 PM

14,300 posts, read 11,684,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dissenter View Post
Frankly, I’d see this behavior as a very bad sign. If you are willing to take my food from my plate without my permission, what else are you willing to violate and do without my permission or consent?
In my opinion, the implication that if your friend/SO would take a bit of food off your plate "without permisison" they just might rifle your wallet or rape you is taking it way too far.

The opposite, acting overly possessive about food, is a red flag for me. Obviously grabbing something without permission from someone you don't really know is not OK, but in a friendship or relationship, if you ask for a bite or a few fries it is a real turnoff if the other person refuses. It signals that the person does not like or trust you. In my family, when we get takeout or go out to eat, we often offer to share even if not asked so I find sharing normal behavior for friends/family.

I also think it's a cultural issue and by cultural I mean the family/friend environment one was raised in. I went to a public elementary school in a middle-class area and we kids would sit around at lunch and share our food. It was normal. Then I went to a private junior high with a lot of snobby rich kids and no one would share a thing. I definitely got that shocked "if you would take my food, what else would you do?!" vibe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post
I don't take food off my spouse's plate. He has some serious bacterial issues in his mouth and I don't want any of that.
Sure hope you don't kiss him!

Old 10-22-2022, 03:57 PM

10,864 posts, read 6,469,646 times
During their White House years,Al Gore was offended when Bill Clinton ate from his plate,when he complained,Bill thought it was a sign of friendship.
Al was not pleased.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships