Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2022, 11:56 AM

52,287 posts, read 52,723,379 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jobaba View Post
Honestly, it didn't matter if the woman was attractive or hideous.

If I said I was going to call or go on a date ... I did it.
Yep, I may have a lot of flaws but leaving someone hanging was never one of them. I hate flakey people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2022, 12:02 PM

6,885 posts, read 7,896,042 times
If it weren't for bad luck with dating I'd have no luck at all...

the last guy I went out with ghosted me after making very specific plans, the guy before that turned out to have herpes....that sums up 2022 for me...I'm going to be alone forever.

Old 11-03-2022, 12:08 PM

595 posts, read 265,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stagemomma View Post

the last guy I went out with ghosted me after making very specific plans, the guy before that turned out to have herpes....that sums up 2022 for me...I'm going to be alone forever.
It's a bummer to want to date or find a relationship and not be able to, so I hear you.

But what's worse: To be alone or wish you were? I mean, would you WANT to date a flake who can't even stick to a plan?

It's like this with both men and women, I suppose. I've been voluntarily out of the game for a long time, in no small part because of crap like what you've described in this thread and I think it's REALLY unmanly behavior, but I hear stuff like this from men, too, where it's the women flaking out. I think it's a sign of the times. People in general can't adult anymore. There is no accountability, no sense that there is another person who is affected by their flakery, no common courtesy. It's all very self-absorbed and rude.

Old 11-03-2022, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jobaba View Post
Honestly, it didn't matter if the woman was attractive or hideous.

If I said I was going to call or go on a date ... I did it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
Yep, I may have a lot of flaws but leaving someone hanging was never one of them. I hate flakey people.
Going on the theory that your parents raised you right, either of you guys have a single brother in his 50s? Asking for a friend.

(Just kidding around. )

Old 11-03-2022, 12:14 PM

6,885 posts, read 7,896,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TeaByrd View Post
It's a bummer to want to date or find a relationship and not be able to, so I hear you.

But what's worse: To be alone or wish you were? I mean, would you WANT to date a flake who can't even stick to a plan?

It's like this with both men and women, I suppose. I've been voluntarily out of the game for a long time, in no small part because of crap like what you've described in this thread and I think it's REALLY unmanly behavior, but I hear stuff like this from men, too, where it's the women flaking out. I think it's a sign of the times. People in general can't adult anymore. There is no accountability, no sense that there is another person who is affected by their flakery, no common courtesy. It's all very self-absorbed and rude.
I don't know...I feel like I have a lot of skills and can work with a lot of different types, even those who have less than ideal skills. It's been so long since I've been given the chance to use the skills...I have been divorced 16 years and in all that time I have only had one real relationship, with someone who was really not very emotionally healthy (but tried so so hard to please me).

Old 11-03-2022, 12:31 PM

Quote:
I don't know...I feel like I have a lot of skills and can work with a lot of different types, even those who have less than ideal skills. It's been so long since I've been given the chance to use the skills...I have been divorced 16 years and in all that time I have only had one real relationship, with someone who was really not very emotionally healthy (but tried so so hard to please me).
Different priorities. At my age, if someone doesn't have adulting skills, quite frankly, I consider him a boorish loser and not worth a second thought. My time is entirely too valuable to give to people who are not emotionally healthy. I expect from a man what I offer myself, and not a hair's breadth less.

Old 11-03-2022, 01:41 PM

20,764 posts, read 19,984,458 times
Quote:

If it makes you feel any better - My experiences were similar. Over many years. I decided to quit online dating.

Old 11-03-2022, 03:25 PM

3,218 posts, read 2,812,537 times
Quote:

These things will happen especially with online dating. If this is only the 3rd guy you've connected with online in 2022, that tells me you're not that committed to it. If you're seriously looking to find someone you have to up that number from three per year to at least 10, it's a numbers game.

About half a year ago I had a guy cancel on me last minute because he had just found out he was getting his wisdom teeth pulled the following the week, I mean talk about flakey!

Old 11-03-2022, 04:41 PM

9,423 posts, read 11,176,605 times
Quote:
Am I being too nice? I met a guy on Match. We texted back and forth, then I gave him my phone number. We talked for a while. He is nice, we have things in common. He is in a different place in his life in that he still has a daughter at home and I am an empty nester but that does not seem like a big deal as I have respect for a dad who puts his kid first. THen he said he would call me late on Saturday morning. By sunday evening I hadn't heard from him and decided I had been ghosted. FINALLY I broke down and texted him "Where'd you go?". He apologized, said he had gotten busy with work and kid stuff and asked if it was a good time to call. We talked for a while and made plans to go out for sushi this coming weekend. Also made plans to talk again on Tuesday night. GUess what? Tuesday night came and went and he didn't contact me.

Now, I'm not at all a clingy person. I don't really care if I talk to him or not, assuming that we are actually going to have this sushi date. He lives about a hour from me. I'm not all goo goo eyed over him and I'm prepared to cut a guy some slack that sometimes stuff comes up.

But I'd rather he NOT Make plans to call me and then not call me than Make plans to call me and then not call me, right? Should I mention this to him over sushi? Wait and see if a second date develops?

If the sushi doesn't work out that's the end of it. I'm desperate but not that desperate.
Move on.

Old 11-03-2022, 05:18 PM

4,030 posts, read 3,310,131 times
Quote:

Quote:
One thing to think about is that online dating is low effort dating and it selects for low effort people.

20 years ago, not everyone was online and the people you met online probably were better educated than people you met elsewhere. But now thanks to free Obama phones, we eliminated the digital divide and now anyone and everyone can be online and if you are guy without many life skills looking to get some nookie, one of the first places you're going to look is online. Online dating is low effort dating. You don't have to put together much of a profile, you can mass mail 100 women each night some text that says some version of "HeY SeXy!" and if you are unemployed you have plenty of time to see if anyone really responds. Yes you can meet someone online, but the caliber of people you meet offline is just about always going to be better offline than what you would meet online.

Once you set up a profile, it really doesn't take much effort to keep it going, but I wouldn't make online dating the primary area of efforts dating wise either. Think about activities you enjoy that you think a guy you might be interested in dating would also enjoy and try out one of those.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships