Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-07-2022, 04:14 PM

2,375 posts, read 2,706,169 times

Advertisements

I was surprised they picked a Scottsdale family for a front-page story on how different opinions are upsetting families. And even more surprised to find it's someone I knew.

Ahead of the Midterms, Family Ties Are Strained by Political Divisions
“I need to get out,” Jasmine Broe said recently, raking her hands through her hair as she sat downstairs while her mother taught a piano lesson upstairs. “I do consider, like, the political atmosphere in the house to be the biggest contributor to my mental health problems.”
https://silk-news.com/2022/11/05/pol...cal-divisions/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2022, 04:19 AM

3,822 posts, read 9,470,404 times
If my 26 & 35 year old adult children were still living at home with me, I'd have some issues as well. My views lean generally right, but I learned a decade ago that listening to talk radio and watching Fox News every waking hour wasn't healthy. Pulled the plug and now spend at best 20-30 minutes keeping up on news so that I have a slight clue as to what's going on. Mentally, I've never felt better.

Old 11-08-2022, 07:08 AM

7,179 posts, read 9,306,900 times
I read that and thought, "where is Norman Lear?"

That family story could become a very funny sit-com.

Old 11-08-2022, 07:38 AM

4,069 posts, read 5,139,473 times
Pretty sad state of affairs when no one in that family...except maybe the Dad...realizes they are being played by 2 huge money taking machines that are only interested in power and lining their own pockets. Such is politics though I suppose.

What's the old adage? If You Are Not a Liberal When You Are Young, You Have No Heart, and If You Are Not a Conservative When Old, You Have No Brain?

Old 11-08-2022, 02:57 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,261,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grmi66 View Post
If my 26 & 35 year old adult children were still living at home with me, I'd have some issues as well. My views lean generally right, but I learned a decade ago that listening to talk radio and watching Fox News every waking hour wasn't healthy. Pulled the plug and now spend at best 20-30 minutes keeping up on news so that I have a slight clue as to what's going on. Mentally, I've never felt better.

I think that there is a lot more than politics causing problems in that family. I agree that at some point you have to place your children at the edge of the nest and give them a gentle shove.

I agree with you. I do not spend much time listening to either cable news or TV news. Eliminating television has brought about a much more peaceful existence.

Old 11-09-2022, 09:34 AM

219 posts, read 176,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KurtAZ View Post
Pretty sad state of affairs when no one in that family...except maybe the Dad...realizes they are being played by 2 huge money taking machines that are only interested in power and lining their own pockets. Such is politics though I suppose.

What's the old adage? If You Are Not a Liberal When You Are Young, You Have No Heart, and If You Are Not a Conservative When Old, You Have No Brain?
I'm not sure how most people don't see this. Some people live and die by the R or the D. It's truly sad.

Old 11-09-2022, 10:24 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,551 posts, read 81,085,957 times
Within my household there are only minor differences in political views, but in the extended family, there are in-laws, brothers and sisters that range from extremes on both sides to true moderates. There are times when I have to snooze a "Facebook Friend" sibling for 30 days when they get political to the extent that I can't take any more.

Old 11-09-2022, 10:55 AM

26,208 posts, read 49,012,208 times
This is not so much a political thread as it is a relationship thread, politics is just the issue driving family dis-unity, and since any issue can drive family dis-unity I'm moving this to the Relationship forum as the issue here is now to resolve a family dis-unity no matter the source.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships