Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2008, 07:34 PM

13,784 posts, read 26,266,104 times

Advertisements

Steroids(medrol, prednisone,etc), anti depressants, calcium channel blockers, statins, benzodiazepams...there are all sorts of drug classes that have side effects of weight gain and nowadays many people are on meds for years which will have impacts on their body's chemistry.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonathanLB View Post
This is true, to an extent. I don't believe the medication one because that can be put under control, I mean I certainly believe a medication could make you retain more water weight, heck creatine does that, lots of things do, but when someone gains 50 pounds and is like, "Yeah man it was those damn meds!" No, it wasn't. It was those damn McDonalds hamburgers every day. Medication are tiny little pills, they don't make you gain tons of weight, calories do that. You need to watch your intake of calories. I've heard people say stupid things like "oh I have a thyroid disorder." I have hypothyroidism now, it hasn't made me gain ANY weight, and wouldn't make anyone in tune with their body gain weight either. My metabolism has slowed no doubt before I got my medication to treat it, and I've slept more, thus burned fewer calories, all of that is true, but that's why you also EAT LESS. It's not rocket science that if you have a thyroid problem and you're sleeping more, have less energy, etc., you should be consuming fewer calories because your body is burning fewer calories. It's really easy to understand. And once you are able to get the proper dosage of the hormones, which isn't too tough to do, takes some tinkering, then a thyroid issue is no issue at all. It's not a serious condition once it's treated properly.

Now, there are disabilities where it's obvious you're not going to be able to keep in the same shape as you could before. Lots of things can happen, potentially, where you simply are not able to work out like you once did. You can still probably keep yourself from gaining weight, but you won't be as firm and you won't be in good shape. Those are unfortunate incidents, ones you hope don't happen to you or anyone you know, haha.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2008, 07:44 PM

5,258 posts, read 9,149,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonathanLB View Post
That is my point. People age, that's natural, but ballooning is not. It's one thing to age at a normal rate, it's quite another to turn into Shamu!
i've seen plenty of people balloon into shamus for no reason...not a pretty sight. their significant others must feel miserable.

Old 11-21-2008, 07:54 PM

24,645 posts, read 38,681,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twinkle Toes View Post
Yes. That is one of my biggest peeves. I have to stay in shape because I compete in ballroom. Plus, I just feel better about myself, and why lie - I'm vain. My husband, on the other hand, is very overweight. It's one of the things I was seeing a marriage counselor about. I am not attracted to him, which causes lots of problems. He's a great person, funny, sweet, kind, intelligent, educated and an excellent provider. One of the reasons I sought counseling was because I thought I was just being really shallow and I felt bad about it, but I couldn't help the way I felt. I now know that it's okay to feel this way. These are my feelings and I am entitled to them.

I think there should be some kind of a contract when you get married that says you must stay healthy and in shape for each other.
Can you get hubby to go to the gym? It is sometimes really hard for big guys to go unless they get encouragement. If you encourage him, he might do it for you! My wife encourages me to go, and I do, at least 4x/week. I mean, I am a rarity; a really heavy guy who is also a gym rat. My big problem is that I have a MASSIVE appetite.

To answer your question.......yes, we have both let ourselves go.

Old 11-21-2008, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunil's Dad View Post
Can you get hubby to go to the gym? It is sometimes really hard for big guys to go unless they get encouragement. If you encourage him, he might do it for youI mean, I am a rarity; a really heavy guy who is also a gym rat. My big problem is that I have a MASSIVE appetite.

To answer your question.......yes, we have both let ourselves go.
to add to your post, a personal trainer at the gym is always an incentive! They change the routine, push you harder and there is a sense of having to answer to someone...

Old 11-21-2008, 07:59 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,216,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrstewart View Post
there is a sense of having to answer to someone...
Ay-ya-ya... no wonder the country is in the state it is... So many want to have parental guidance all their lives...

Old 11-21-2008, 08:01 PM

5,258 posts, read 9,149,145 times
I used a personal trainer recently, and it was hard work. But he got me feeling better about myself.

Old 11-21-2008, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
Ay-ya-ya... no wonder the country is in the state it is... So many want to have parental guidance all their lives...
If you had seen my personal trainer you would have been scared too She was a little German fraulein who was a black belt in Judo...I think that was what she said That little drill sergeant could have moved Mt. Everest with her bark!!

Old 11-21-2008, 08:16 PM

7,087 posts, read 8,646,247 times
I needed that motivation when I first started working out, I mean a personal trainer, because they can push you to your limits and motivate you, but I've always believed in my life that the best motivation is from within. Only I truly know whether I'm pushing myself hard or not. So after several years of working with "the best" in the realm of personal training, I had enough with that type of attitude and always let them know upfront. No matter who you are, how much you think you know, it's always fun to work out with new personal trainers because they have new exercises to learn, new approaches or ideas, but you have to temper these with what you know to be "true" or at least best for you. Like if a personal trainer tells me to throw my weight into an exercise, I'll tell them, no, that's not a good idea. It's unsafe. You need to have a good idea what is safe, good workout practice, so that you don't injure yourself. I let them know upfront that I don't need someone to "push me" and drill orders at me, because I push myself harder than anyone else can and will stop when I've had enough. After all, if I'm not pushing myself to the limits, I am the one who will suffer! I know those limits well by this point, so it's annoying to me if a trainer kept saying, "Just one more!" over and over, when I know when the last one is based on how my muscles react. It's just a matter of years of being in tune with your body, whereas most people are so out of tune with their bodies the trainers NEED to say that because otherwise people think, "Oh my god it's getting hard time to stop!" haha. So I don't blame those drill-sergeant like trainers, it's just not for me. If anything I like a trainer who will restrain me a little bit, like if I want to move up on weight too fast, or too much, I like it if they will say, "Are you sure you can handle that? I think it would be a good idea to go for a bit less weight this week and a few more reps, then next week move up more." I will agree if I know they're right, and only fight their advice if I really feel adamantly I can do it, so it's a good balance for me.

Old 11-21-2008, 08:44 PM

171 posts, read 327,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twinkle Toes View Post
Yes. That is one of my biggest peeves. I have to stay in shape because I compete in ballroom. Plus, I just feel better about myself, and why lie - I'm vain. My husband, on the other hand, is very overweight. It's one of the things I was seeing a marriage counselor about. I am not attracted to him, which causes lots of problems. He's a great person, funny, sweet, kind, intelligent, educated and an excellent provider. One of the reasons I sought counseling was because I thought I was just being really shallow and I felt bad about it, but I couldn't help the way I felt. I now know that it's okay to feel this way. These are my feelings and I am entitled to them.

I think there should be some kind of a contract when you get married that says you must stay healthy and in shape for each other.
I thought marriage was a contract. Divorce certainly is! I think if I was that unhappy with my husband's weight gain I would put him on notice. If he failed to appear I would get a divorce and hire a financial guru to provide most of the things you listed about your spouse. Then, I would go dancing!

Breaking a contract can be a serious issue.

Old 11-21-2008, 08:47 PM

19 posts, read 329,179 times
when I first started dating my husband in highschool I was 116lbs and a size 2-4 depending.. now 9 years later I'm about 153 size 10-12 depending... But I'm not an overweight 153. It suits me.. Plus who stays their highschool weight.. My husband has lost weight but gained muscle. He's happy with me and I'm happy with him
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships