Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-16-2008, 08:55 AM

769 posts, read 2,233,469 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by optiflex View Post
I'm more worried about you! Are any of these women your g-friend? She is so concerned for the girl and you're a jerk for not doing something about it? That's classic female manipulation. She's so concerned..get her butt up there and confront him! Ohh no, I'm just a wilting flower who only shoots venom at MY MAN! lol
I know. And one of those women was in kickboxing. If it was such a big deal to her then why didn't she do anything?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2008, 08:58 AM

5,612 posts, read 15,120,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aylalou View Post
Never personally interfere with a couple arguing. They usually turn on the interferer.
There is a difference between arguing and abuse. And while because of the psychological damage that exists that allows a person to stay in an abusive relationship has been deepen by the abuse itself, the person being abused will often protect the abuser. But that doesn't mean we should allow it to happen if we see it. If a person tried to commit suicide, you would step in. An abusive relationship is the same thing.

Old 12-16-2008, 09:45 AM

15,603 posts, read 39,845,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pitt_transplant View Post
Do any of you realize that a full grown man can kill another human with ONE punch made correctly?

That is what 911 is for..To save people from that. I mean seriously...I don't know if anyone remembers that "Real world" a couple years back where the construction worker caught one good one in a street fight and it crushed the side of his skull, made him have perm vision problems and distorted his face. The doctor said he was LUCKY that he didn't die.

There is a reason cops have training, guns, sticks and mace. PEOPLE ARE NUTS AND YOU DON'T KNOW HOW NUTS THEY CAN GET!

You don't need to get directly involved because :
- its a danger to yourself
- will not solve the larger problem it only saves the moment (for which abused pay for later)

When the cops get involved at least sometimes they force them into seeking help.
You wanna see nuts? Strike a woman in front of me and not only will you see nuts...you'll see stars. And there's a good chance those nuts you see would be the the guys own nuts. Cause I'd rip them clean off his body and shove them down his damn throat. It's a sorry excuse for a human that strikes a woman, and I won't stand for it. Call me crazy...and then call that guy an ambulance. He's gonna need it. Hear me now...believe me later.

Old 12-16-2008, 09:46 AM

13,784 posts, read 26,259,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rance View Post
You wanna see nuts? Strike a woman in front of me and not only will you see nuts...you'll see stars. And there's a good chance those nuts you see would be the the guys own nuts. Cause I'd rip them clean off his body and shove them down his damn throat. It's a sorry excuse for a human that strikes a woman, and I won't stand for it. Call me crazy...and then call that guy an ambulance. He's gonna need it. Hear me now...believe me later.
Rance, you are my HERO

Old 12-16-2008, 09:48 AM

61,288 posts, read 87,457,092 times
after reading all 18 pages. no way.
maybe a 911 call that is bout it.
9 out of 10 gals will side with the wife beater and fault you
for interference.
he is not beating me mama
we are having a relationship
you dont know him like i do.

Last edited by Huckleberry3911948; 12-16-2008 at 10:02 AM..

Old 12-16-2008, 09:49 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,728,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoanD'Arc View Post
WC and all: I guess I do get kind of excited about the subject sometimes. But IMHO I think it is my duty to educate people who don't understand abuse, abusers and their targets.
It took me years to figure out what was happening in my own relationship... no one helped me see what was happening. So now whenI can I try to help other women understand. I try to explain to men why this happens to women. I don't have any knowlege about the converse situation, so I can't say much... women abusing men... but I know it happens.
WorldCitizen, I am sorry that abuse has happened to you, and celebrate with you the fact that you "got out." Regards.
You say it took you years.

That's exactly why turning a shouting match at a mall into a 5 minute physical altercation isn't going to solve a thing.

You can go over and punch the guy yelling at his girlfriend, knock him out cold if you will and she will help him up, take him home and nothing was resolved.

If you carry a gun, you could walk over and shoot him dead, that might solve the problem but otherwise it achieved nothing. That woman will require years and possibly forceful removal from the relationship.

Old 12-16-2008, 09:52 AM

Location: Wandering the halls aimlessly...Hello? Is anyone there?
307 posts, read 455,518 times
Default What is wrong with you?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saberai View Post
Chivalry isn't quite dead. You could assume that it is because guys step up to act "macho." Could that explain why they get their butts kicked for interfering?
We have laws in place to prevent civil unrest and maintain decency and order in places where people and thier families congregate. The last thing I want to see is a woman getting the hell beat out of her by some insecure scumbag with a "macho" mentality.

I have intervened in many an altercation and almost all of them involved the woman as the person being on the recieving end of a severe ass whooping. There was no chivalry in mind....it was decency that drove me to react.

If I get my butt whopped for intervening so be it. At least I tried. Almost seems to me like you condone that behavior. If thats the case, your whats wrong with society today.

What in the world is wrong with folks like you? Sheesh!

Winter

Old 12-16-2008, 10:00 AM

I don't believe a 5 or 10 minute intervention into a stranger's life cuts it.

I know a man who did that -- a couple was yelling and hitting at each other outside his aparment window and he got involved. He told them they were in a bad relationship, he told the woman to leave the man and she began arguing with him, telling him to mind his own business. Then he told them if they didn't stop immediately he was going to call the police. They stopped. He was able to go back to bed and get some sleep, the rest of the night was quiet.

Apparently the abuse didn't because a couple weeks later the same woman was killed in an domestic abuse incident, the man went to prison.

Maybe it can feel heroic to jump in and save someone in 5 or 10 minutes but most likely it didn't really accomplish much.

Old 12-16-2008, 10:02 AM

Also I know more men that admit to being victims in a physically abusive relationship.

How many women will intervene if they hear or see a man being yelled at by his partner?

Old 12-16-2008, 10:03 AM

15,603 posts, read 39,845,945 times
I could care less if a man's screaming at a woman. Thats not my business. But something about a man striking a woman makes me see red. And I wouldn't think twice about picking up a 2x4, a bottle, a baseball bat, cement block, hell I'd pick up a newspaper machine and hit that fool from behind!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships